SiouxSports.com Forum

Guesstimate the lineup!

OETKB

OETKB,

Since you asked I'll give it a go and predict the lines. (But only because you were the thread starter) ;)

Once we roll into the final couple of months of the season, I think we'll see:

Spiewak-Parise-Hale

Notermann-Fournier-Bochenski

Lundbohm-McMahon-Masson

Genoway-Fylling-Canady

Prpch-Palmo-Connelly

OETKB,

Since you asked I'll give it a go and predict the lines. (But only because you were the thread starter) ;)

Once we roll into the final couple of months of the season, I think we'll see:

Spiewak-Parise-Hale

Notermann-Fournier-Bochenski

Lundbohm-McMahon-Masson

Genoway-Fylling-Canady

Prpch-Palmo-Connelly

5th Line Goon, Scott_M, Dagies...

;)

5th Line Goon, Scott_M, Dagies...

;)

I'm ready to lace 'em up. What roles will we play? I want to be the guy in the corners, holding sticks, giving the hidden elbow, the quick slash on the ankle, the hold around the middle, etc.

Yeah, all stuff I think should be called right now, but that's the role I want to play

I'm ready to lace 'em up. What roles will we play? I want to be the guy in the corners, holding sticks, giving the hidden elbow, the quick slash on the ankle, the hold around the middle, etc.

Yeah, all stuff I think should be called right now, but that's the role I want to play

If people think that Cannady and Bochenski are cheap they have never seen me play hockey, hench, the name goon...

Here's my 3 cents

NOTERMAN SPIEWAK MASSEN When they played together last year, I really liked what I saw. Notes and Spie are always tough, Massen seems to really step it up with the challenge. They can all score.

MCMAHON LUNDBOHM HALE Two of the three are tough guys and Lundy can score

CANADY PARISE BOCHO This should give Bocho a shot to kick up his game, Canady will clear it out in front of the net, Parise will shoot and Bocho will pick up the garbage.

PRPICH FOURNIE PALMO OR FYLLING Palmo had some good games last year, if he worked hard in the off season, maybe. Fournie always works hard, not too sure about Prpich. Fylling will be on the doorstep and ready to take anyones spot.

Apparently, Blais has made comments that Colby Gennoway will likely play center this coming season. That makes me shift things around a little.

Newly revised lineup guesstimate:

Lundbohm - Fournier - Bochenski

Notermann - Spiewak - Massen

Prpich - Parise- Hale

Canady - Genoway - McMahon

Geez, this is tough. I'd love to somehow work Fylling and Palmiscno into the lineup, if not Connelly, too, but there just isn't room.

I'd put Fylling ahead of Prpich in my lineup. It's not that I don't think Prpich could be an asset to the team, but his penalty minutes concern me. I doubt that Blais will have much tolerance for a freshman who takes a lot of dumb penalties.

Perhaps I'm the only one who thinks this, but one player who could be on the bubble is David Lundbohm. As a junior, I suspect that Blais will expect more consistency out of him this season.

If Parise and Genoway turn out to be the real deals, watch out. The Sioux will be among the top offensive teams in the nation.

I don't know if I'd list him as on the bubble PCM, but I do believe that the Sioux need an improved and more consistent Lundbohm if they hope to make some noise. Alot of people talk about how he's better than his brother, but we only saw brief flashes last year (albeit he had injury problems, I believe). I also would like to see Ryan Hale have a big year. He started out strong last year but was very inconsistent the last half of the season. I'm hoping that was a result of having a year away from hockey.

I'm in agreement that both Lundbohm & Hale need to play a consistent and improved scoring game this season for the Sioux to reach their potential. However, it is just as important for Notermann & Spiewak to have solid senior seasons, IMO.

Both, as juniors, saw their scoring decline from the previous year. Obviously, they played less games than in '00-01, but UND needs these two to perform at their best if they want to make any noise.

I also think that a consistent Lundbohm will help this team dramatically. However I wouldn't characterize it as being on the bubble. At least not until I wrote this sentance. Then I started thinking, what if.

What if DL comes with an inconsistent effort? How many other players on Blais' teams operate that way on a regular basis?

There will be plenty of forwards ready to hit the ice this year. If David doesn't care to play full time, I'll bet Prpich would give Coach a consistent effort on the ice...

I'm with PCM on Prpich's PIM's. Frankly, I find it hard to believe Blais recruited someone who spends so much of a game in the box. But it is hard to ignore Prpich's other credentials. Either Blais is taking a flyer on this loose cannon, or he feels that Prpich played a role in the BCHL which he can leave behind. Either way, with the guys production, PIM's and awards, you have to think the guy gives 100%. Who's going to sit and who is going to play? And if it isn't Prpich, it could be Connelly (when did anyone see him gliding through his shift last year?) or someone else.

I agree, PCM. Maybe Lundbohm IS on the bubble.

As for Hale, I thought he played very solidly last year. Yes, his point production is not really high, but I don't know that he was blessed with Bayda's offensive skills. However, I was very impressed (the handful of times I did see him play) with his ability to work the boards and control the puck. I though Hale looked much better offensively last year than his freshman year (VERY average) or even the start of his true soph year where I again thought he looked outclassed on the ice. I did not think he looked that way this year.

I expect increased offense from Hale this year. Not monster numbers, but solid numbers.

After looking at all the poster's combos, seems that the Sioux will be very good this year.

Won't try combos myself, but I think we'll see Genoway center one of the top three lines, if not right away, then later in the season.

How 'bout a Canadian Connection, Prpich-Genoway-McMahon.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm changing my mind again, due to the Fournier thing. Sprig is probably right about McMahon & Prpich being played together. They've played together before in prep hockey and their positions don't clash, so I'll bet Blais pairs them like he did with Canady & Connelly last season.

2nd Revised guesstimate:

Notermann - Speiwak - Hale

Parise - Lundbohm - Bochenski

Canady - Genoway - Massen

Prpich - McMahon - Fylling

Out of the 3 times I've posted here, this is the lineup I feel best about, because I'm not forcing anyone into unnatural positions to fit-in all the top flight players. Blais, I'm sure, will take my 2 cents under careful consideration ;)

The roster is now down to 24 players, with only 2 "reserve" forwards. Pretty sparse compared to '01-02!

Without Fournier, I've been thinking about this set-up:

Spiewak, Parise, Bochenski - Speed and experience, speed, and hands.

McMahon, Notermann, Hale - Together at the end of last year, and I really liked it.

Lundbohm, Genoway, Massen - Line of big boys that will score more than most third lines.

Fylling, Canady, Connelly - Good skating and energy line.

Bubble boys: Palmiscno and Prpich

The third line lacks a natural left wing, but that's not a big concern for me. You could balance the third and fourth lines better by moving one of the larger third-liners down in favor of a quicker Connelly or Fylling.

Genoway will be missing for the first three games as he waits for his major junior banishment to end, so the lines in Buffalo will be different.

OETKB,

Thanks for opening up this can of worms again. ;)

One question on your second line: who will be going into the corners? Bo isn't a grinder, Parise would get buried and Whitey Jr. will be your centerman. How about moving Parise to center the first line and put Notes on LW for the second line? I also think that McMahon will be higher than the fourth line; it's tough, though, because Genoway is such a wild card.

Well, according to the roster, Parise is 5'10" and about 180 lbs, so I didn't see him as getting burried along the walls. Also, I figured Lundbohm as a very diverse swing player who would take the walls half the time. With two skilled playmakers and a gifted goal scorer, I thought it could be an excellent combination.

Now, I don't really know what Parise's playing style is (never seen him), so this was just a true guesstimate that he would do well in a swing-player role, together with Lundbohm.

Sound crazy?

Parise is big enough and skilled enough to handle himself in traffic and in tight spots, he also has some PIM ability too. (Think Paul, not Steve, Kariya). I'd be more concerned about somebody cheapshotting him than how he handles himself in the normal flow of the game. Hence, the need for "Presence" in a few big, aggressive forwards and d-men. ;)

OETKB,

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "buried" in describing Parise's survival along the boards. As I've posted in other threads, he's tough enough to take care of himself; I'm more worried about other teams' goons taking runs at him. (In my lineup guesstimate I had Ryan Hale on his right wing for protection.) I also think the listing of 5'10" and 180 lbs is a little high.

I just don't see him playing a wing. His strengths (speed, vision, puck-handling) translate into a centerman; hopefully one with Jeff Panzer-like numbers.

You might be right, Blais may put him on a wing for a while. Truth is, I don't care where he plays, I'm just going to enjoy watching him rack up 48 points this year! ;)

I'm probably the biggest Parise-backer on this board so you'll need to take my 48 points with a grain of salt, but I honestly think he'll be a difference-maker right away. His skills are excellent, his effort is 110% and he's tough (in the games I saw him play last year let me tell you that he ain't no choir boy). His height and weight might be a little "below average" right now but I firmly believe his ability will make up for that.

You have him for 32 points this year. How about meeting halfway and "settling" for 40?