SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota Rule

Sioux fan since '90

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I don't like the "Minnesota rule," in one way right now it works in UND's favor:

- they catch the winner of UAA and CC on Friday afternoon after their night game

- UND will have the extra rest going into Saturday

- hopefully UM and UMD will go 19 overtimes :):glare:

I agree. I think the Minnesota rule really helps. Both games the Sioux will be the team with more rest. I think even just a couple of hours helps.

In regards to OT, just out of curiosity, will they keep playing OT periods until someone wins or would they move to a shoot-out after 2 or 3 OTs? I know this is very unlikely, but I was just wondering.

hopefully UM and UMD will go 19 overtimes :):glare:

That would be fantastic - well said. The ONLY downside to that is I believe the X stops serving beer, except for one area in the Club Sections, sometime during the third period of the night game (based on experiences in the past). If we are going to be surrounded by Goofer and Bulldog fans, access to beer throughout the entire game is a must!!!

In regards to OT, just out of curiosity, will they keep playing OT periods until someone wins or would they move to a shoot-out after 2 or 3 OTs?  I know this is very unlikely, but I was just wondering.

No shootouts this weekend (except for the 3rd place, Saturday afternoon, game).

From my copy of the current NCAA Ice Hockey rulebook:

Tournament Competition

SECTION 56.

a. Where advancement in a bracket or the determination of a tournament champion is necessary, any series in a format (e.g., single game, minigame series) that results in a tie shall be broken by 20-minute, sudden-death overtime periods (Exception: See 6-56-b). The ice shall be resurfaced upon completion of regulation play. The teams shall not change ends (except as indicated in Rule 6-50-b). Third-place games may follow the overtime procedures as described in Rule 6-53.

Note: A tied game in a minigame series must use a five-minute overtime period. If the series is tied after the second game, a 20-minute minigame will be played after an intermission period (12/15 minutes). See Appendix A for complete procedures.

b. For regular-season tournaments and post-season consolation games only, any game that results in a tie may be broken by use of a shootout under the following conditions:

(1) Teams play a standard five-minute overtime.

(2) If game remains tied, it shall officially be recorded as a tie.

(3) Teams participating in the tournament must be notified not later than October 1 of the upcoming season that the shootout option will be used.

My "19 overtimes" is possible, not probable, but possible. :):glare:

"It's 7:08. Do You Know Why the Number 1 Team isn't Playing the Night Game?"

I'm not happy--but not surprised--about invocation of the "Minnesota Rule," to give the more prestigious night game to the Gophers instead of to the number one seed. We can certainly spin it to our advantage, that playing the afternoon game gives the boys another 5 or so hours to "rest" but the bottom line is the WCHA appeases the Gophers to enhance the gate and the Sioux get the short end of the stick, including, it sounds like, no TV coverage of our semi. No wonder the Gophers are so despised--it's not jealousy; it's the recognition of their continuing tyranny over the rest of us.

"It's 7:08.  Do You Know Why the Number 1 Team isn't Playing the Night Game?"

I'm not happy--but not surprised--about invocation of the "Minnesota Rule," to give the more prestigious night game to the Gophers instead of to the number one seed.  We can certainly spin it to our advantage, that playing the afternoon game gives the boys another 5 or so hours to "rest" but the bottom line is the WCHA appeases the Gophers to enhance the gate and the Sioux get the short end of the stick, including, it sounds like, no TV coverage of our semi.    No wonder the Gophers are so despised--it's not jealousy; it's the recognition of their continuing tyranny over the rest of us.

Join the dark side Luke! :glare:

Again, it is not the GOPHERS that did this it is the WCHA...try and blame the Gophers all you want, it does come down to what is best $$ for the WCHA.

WPoS

Forgive me, but why should (almost) home fans need a night game to come out and see their team playing in their "second home" rink?

Those fans should turn out just as well for the afternoon semi as the night semi. It's the fans who have to travel that should be given the added (travel) time of playing in the night semi. The locals early, the travelers late, seems to me would be better for the gate (and the local pubs).

I'm not thinking it's the league as much as Fox Sports North involved in this scheduling. They do have an "unholy alliance" :glare: in place during the regular season and they seem to be able to keep that team on in the evenings at the Five.

Does the league get a cut of TV revenues from FSN?

Does FSN buy the rights and "pick" who plays when so they get the max?

The easy solution is show all five Five games.

Forgive me, but why should (almost) home fans need a night game to come out and see their team playing in their "second home" rink?

Those fans should turn out just as well for the afternoon semi as the night semi. It's the fans who have to travel that should be given the added (travel) time of playing in the night semi. The locals early, the travelers late, seems to me would be better for the gate (and the local pubs).

I'm not thinking it's the league as much as Fox Sports North involved in this scheduling. They do have an "unholy alliance" :glare: in place during the regular season and they seem to be able to keep that team on in the evenings at the Five.

Does the league get a cut of TV revenues from FSN?

Does FSN buy the rights and "pick" who plays when so they get the max?

The easy solution is show all five Five games.

Because, while the die-hard fans will come out and watch the team even if they were playing at 4 in the morning, the "walk-up" crowd won't take time off from work and/or other day time obligations to come to a hockey game.

Blame whomever you want. FSN, the WCHA, the NCAA - who cares? With the tournament at the Xcel for the foreseeable future, Minnesota will always have the "advantage" of playing in the night game.

If you have a problem with it - get more of your fans to drive to the games. If the afternoon games consistently sold out and had good atmosphere, the WCHA would probably look at taking away the "advantage" for Minnesota in playing the night game. Look at the NCAA - after Michigan won game after game in the tournament by hosting the regional, they took that away - didn't they?

The real issue here is that not enough UND, UW, UMD and every other team does not bring enough fans to fill the arena. Even if UND and UMD played on Friday afternoon, the arena wouldn't be full. No chance - if it would, then it would already be sold out with the Final 5 ticket packages.

The other issue is that the Minnesota fans who purchase the ticket package, may be less inclined to go to the Friday afternoon game. For the rest of the fans, who have nothing else better to do, they probably go to all the games, regardless of who is playing - and if the tournament were in Milwaukee or Grand Forks, the Minnesota fans would do the same. But with the tournament being local, people (even if they have tickets from the package) who live locally are less likely to take time off from work or school to go to a game involving teams they could care less about.

And the money the league gets from the Final 5 goes to their operating fund - I believe it is the only way the league makes money each year (and it is enough to cover all of their expenses).

A friend of mine has tickets for the Final Five, (he's a Gopher fan, I guess no one is perfect) and he tells me that ALL FIVE GAMES ARE BEING SHOWN ON TV... I don't have cable, but I can get to somewhere to watch if the games are on... can anyone back this up??

The tv schedule and fox north's schedule says that only the 3 night games are being shown. Until i see concrete evidence otherwise, i will not buy that all 5 games are being shown.

The tv schedule and fox north's schedule says that only the 3 night games are being shown. Until i see concrete evidence otherwise, i will not buy that all 5 games are being shown.

There is actually 4 games being shown....you forgot the 3rd place game..

At the level of hockey played by the top teams in the WCHA, an extra 4-5 hours of rest is irrelevant. Quit crying and realize that college hockey isn't the money-maker as basketball is - any chance of making extra money is important. With the Gophers playing at night - it is guaranteed to sell more tickets than any other tilt. I would hope the league would be smart enough to do the same if the tournament took place in Colorado or Grand Forks. There is not a better financial move for the league than to have it in the X (which by the way has the ice size advantage going to UND, Duluth, and Alaska as the Gophers and CC play on the big rinks.)

First, Anchorage plays on wide ice.

The cameras are already in place from Thursday night and ready for Friday night. It's not an issue of "cheap" from that angle.

Look at the "quality" Friday afternoon programming they'd preempt. :glare:

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?&showtopic=2288

Show five at The Five.

At the level of hockey played by the top teams in the WCHA, an extra 4-5 hours of rest is irrelevant. Quit crying and realize that college hockey isn't the money-maker as basketball is - any chance of making extra money is important. With the Gophers playing at night - it is guaranteed to sell more tickets than any other tilt. I would hope the league would be smart enough to do the same if the tournament took place in Colorado or Grand Forks. There is not a better financial move for the league than to have it in the X (which by the way has the ice size advantage going to UND, Duluth, and Alaska as the Gophers and CC play on the big rinks.)

If this meant the difference between the league making or losing money, you might have an argument, but that simply isn't the case. Minnesota shouldn't be rewarded because its fans are too lazy to go to afternoon games. It's pretty galling to call out fans of UND, UW, etc. when it is almost universally excepted that Minnesota is one of the worst schools in terms of travelling fans. It's a big reason that even with decent records that they go to dog bowl games.

The TV situation is an even bigger joke. As I said in another post, the other league schools should bar Fox Sports from their rinks. What benefit to they get with Minnesota's homer announcers. Minnesota has a Notre Dame-football style TV contract with all the benefits of being in the conference. That deal is a big reason there is no league-wide contract, which would benefit all teams. The WCHA should have a game of the week deal with both Fox North and Fox Rocky Mountain (and possibly Fox Northwest, if that is what is seen up in Alaska). Maybe open up the bidding for the Final Five to CSTV. I'm sure having the best conference tournament would be of interest to them.

With the Gophers playing at night - it is guaranteed to sell more tickets than any other tilt.

Minnesota shouldn't be rewarded because its fans are too lazy to go to afternoon games.

'vindy' catches a great point:

What kind of fans won't take half a day (a Friday afternoon no less) off to watch their team play?

First, Anchorage plays on wide ice.

The cameras are already in place from Thursday night and ready for Friday night. It's not an issue of "cheap" from that angle.

Look at the "quality" Friday afternoon programming they'd preempt.  :glare:

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?&showtopic=2288

Show five at The Five.

agree totally, show the Final Five in its entirity!

As for any arguement that the Minnesota game doesn't make more money than anyone else someone really needs to see the numbers and then make a comment. I firmly believe that the games for the Gophers regardless of time would be the bigger seller than any other team when it is at the X. So why not reward a program that can bring the WCHA more money? Does it suck for other schools? YES. Is it fair? NO. But it is about money...so unless you are going to make more money for the WCHA you are not going to get the "sweet" spot as easily.

Same goes for the TV contracts. The Gophers have a larger audience than other schools so they will garner more market and air time htna other schools. Face it. They make more money. They have a larger audience. They will continue to. Again, not fair and even, but that is life sometimes. Homer announcers, well we'll just let that one lie. EVERY team that has any small home advantage has homer announcers....especially when you are on the opposite team.

WPoS

What kind of fans won't take half a day (a Friday afternoon no less) off to watch their team play?

already have the day off and plan on making the Thurs game also...most of my friends do also....I think if the Gophers were forced to play in the afternoon, we'd still have a lion's share of the revenue brought in.

WPoS

I think if the Gophers were forced to play in the afternoon, we'd still have a lion's share of the revenue brought in.

So then let's play it "clean":

- dump the "Minnesota rule"

- pre-set game times based on seedings (#1 plays at 7:00 pm).