SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota Rule

Sioux fan since '90

I just heard about the Minnesota rule, where Minnesota plays Friday night regardless of who wins the Thursday night game, which means the Sioux could possibly Thursday afternoon. THAT REALLY SUCKS! If they play Thurs. afternoon, not only will I probably not have the chance to see the game, it might not even be on TV! It's happened before, where Fox sports Net doesn't televise the afternoon game, but televis the stupid goofer game that night. If the Sioux play Friday night against the goofers, then we will see it because it will be televised, otherwise, we may not see it.

I myself think the Minnesota rule should be thrown out! I'm sure that's really likely to happen.... NOT!

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to put up with it.

Show everyone who the real champs are! GO SIOUX!!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall reading last fall that the Minnesota Rule was coming under a lot of heat from the other schools in the league and that they were thinking of scrapping it. Guess they haven't gotten that far yet. Maybe if the Goofs get knocked off by CC on Thursday night and the tournament still draws well...nah, it's still Minnesota and they generally get what they want.

Whats really bad is the fact that Minnesota might jump to number 4 in the pairwise.This is a strange year, this is the first time I know of that the number 4/5 in the WCHA has a higher seed in the country. As of the TV coverage alot as to do with the Minnesota Wild because they have a big say in what happens and Fox Sports Net. What was the final five like when it was in Wisconson? Did they have the same rule as minnsota.

The rule has always sucked but $ talks... The Gophs will fill the X.

With the popularity of the Final Five, I don't think it really matters which team is playing, many, many tickets will be sold for both semifinal games. Hopefully, the league will deem the "Minnesota Rule" irrelevant and scrap it in the years ahead.

Whats really bad is the fact that Minnesota might jump to number 4 in the pairwise.This is a strange year, this is the first time I know of that the number 4/5 in the WCHA has a higher seed in the country.  As of the TV coverage alot as to do with the Minnesota Wild because they have a big say in what happens and Fox Sports Net. What was the final five like when it was in Wisconson? Did they have the same rule as minnsota.

I am a Gopher fan and I agree with all non-Gopher fans that this rule is a very poor and unfair rule. To be honest, most Gopher fans I talk to think this rule is horrible. Not for the #1 seed who is forced to play an afternoon game instead of the marquee prime time game, but rather for the winner of the Thurs night play in game winner who is required to lace 'em up barely 14 hours later. IMO that is just insane. The Excel is supposed to be a neutral site without giving any advantage to any team. The "Minnesota" rule completely goes against that.

The first year of the rule was 1997. The idea for the rule came about after tallying attendance totals from 1993 to 1996. In 1993 the Gophers (#3) played Wisconsin (#2) on Fri afternoon. The attendance was o.k. but a lot of tickets went unsold. The night game between UMD (#1) and Northern Michigan (#4) played in front of mostly empty seats. 2 years later in 1995, the Gophers beat the Sioux in the Thursday play in game and took on CC in the Friday night game. The Friday afternoon game between DU and UW drew the same small crowd as the non Gopher game in 1993. The Gopher/CC game later that night was a packed house. When the tourney was in Milwaukee in 1994 and 1996, the Badgers played the Fri afternoon game both years. The results were pretty much the same. The Badger game could have sold more tickets and the night game was almost empty.

At that point the league decided that Minnesota would play on Fri night in St. Paul or Minneapolis to boost attendance, while Wisconsin would do the same when it was played in Milwaukee. Since the Final Five hasn't been in Milwaukee since 1996, the Badgers have never taken advantage of that rule. Since the rule went into effect, Minnesota has been a #2 or #3 seed in 5 of the 8 Final Five's played and the last 4 in a row including this year. I don't think the rule makers thought it would happen this often but that's no excuse. Oddly enough, the Gophers have only won one Final Five (last year) since that rule went into effect. That being said, I'm a firm believer that this rule is a major reason why the winner of the play in game has never won this tournament.

The time has come to abolish this rule. It's hard enough for the play in winner to play the best team in the WCHA. Having to play a rested team 14 hours after a hard earned victory is ridiculous. I would have to believe that this rule is living on borrowed time. Common sense needs to prevail here. The Gophers and Bulldogs should be playing on Fri afternoon. It's not right.

I have no problem with the rule. It makes absolutely no difference to me when the Sioux play and when the Gophers play. Yes, the play in team has an uphill battle, but the moral to that story is to take care of business in the regualr season and don't put yourself in to that position. The WCHA makes much more money by having the Gophers play on Friday night. I don't know exactly how that revenue is split up but it certainly goes in to making the WCHA the best league in the country. I would rather watch a Gopher-whoever game in front of a packed house than 5 games with the place half filled. Economics goes in to most decisions in sports... that's just the way it is. The fact that MN has only won the Final 5 once since '96 demonstrates that it doesn't offer them a huge advantage.

While I agree the rule does not hurt the Sioux this year, but rather the CC/UAA winner, I'm PO'ed that I don't get to see the Sioux on TV Friday night. Way to go Badgers.

On the positive side, as long as the Sioux take care of business on Friday, they will have more time off before championship game than their opponent also. It does create a most favorable position for the #1 team.

While I don't agree with the "rule" per se (I take that Friday off and go to all the games anyway so it doesn't bother me when we play), I don't understand why this year a lot of the UND faithful are so up in arms. It HELPS UND this year....the team you will be facing will be on a short rest and you are almost a shoo in to the Champ game this way. Does it really change any travel plans for you guys??!? But the "rule" was made to make money and if it makes the WCHA money....regardless of what people post on a message board, it may stay in effect...I beleive changes when I see them...

WPoS

While I don't agree with the "rule" per se (I take that Friday off and go to all the games anyway so it doesn't bother me when we play), I don't understand why this year a lot of the UND faithful are so up in arms.

I recall reading last fall that the Minnesota Rule was coming under a lot of heat from the other schools in the league and that they were thinking of scrapping it. Guess they haven't gotten that far yet. Maybe if the Goofs get knocked off by CC on Thursday night and the tournament still draws well...nah, it's still Minnesota and they generally get what they want.

I enjoy reading the UND perspective on most subjects and I have found that nearly all your fans are intelligent and reasonable. Let's make sure the all the hate-in is not misplaced. The WCHA established the "Minnesota Rule", not the U of M. As stated earlier, it's all about $$$$. I don't like the rule either, I'd rather take

Friday afternoon off and watch UMN/UMD then work.

I have a solution. Build an 18,000 seat building in Fargo and fill it for every UND night game in the final five and then I can complain about the "North Dakota Rule"! :glare:

While I don't agree with the "rule" per se (I take that Friday off and go to all the games anyway so it doesn't bother me when we play), I don't understand why this year a lot of the UND faithful are so up in arms. It HELPS UND this year....the team you will be facing will be on a short rest and you are almost a shoo in to the Champ game this way. Does it really change any travel plans for you guys??!? But the "rule" was made to make money and if it makes the WCHA money....regardless of what people post on a message board, it may stay in effect...I beleive changes when I see them...

WPoS

Here's why I don't like the "MN Rule" this year.

I take work off in the afternoon to watch all the games too, so missing a game isn't an issue for me. If the Sioux were playing the night game I could enjoy the afternoon game while the anticipation of the night game builds. The day builds to a peak for the night game.

Now the day peaks in the afternoon. Should the Sioux lose on Friday afternoon, watching the Saturday evening game is ok but kind of a bummer.

So for me, the whole complexion of the day is changed, only due to a rule.

Naturally, had the Sioux finished as a #2 or 3 seed this would have happened, but then it would be because of seeding, nothing else.

O well.

Just win, baby.

That is definitely the most important thing. I realize a lot of people have already purchased tickets for friday night, but winning whenever we play should be our main concern.

I'm ticked that WI got kicked by AA. This gives MN an easier path to the Final Five championship, etc. Plus, screws up Friday for me as stated above. All that stuff.

But as ticked as I am about the turn of events, that one thing comes to the surface.

To be the best, you gotta beat the best. Don't worry about how the circumstances play out.

Beat whoever they put on the ice, whenever they put them there.

yah, I can see the ticket thing, but that is why I get tickets to all the games, I may miss one on purpose, but at least I can make sure I am going to watch my team play...

Heck, I'm just happy I don't have to drive to GF to see the games! :glare:

WPoS

As much as I don't like the "Minnesota rule," in one way right now it works in UND's favor:

- they catch the winner of UAA and CC on Friday afternoon after their night game

- UND will have the extra rest going into Saturday

- hopefully UM and UMD will go 19 overtimes :):glare:

As much as I don't like the "Minnesota rule," in one way right now it works in UND's favor:

- they catch the winner of UAA and CC on Friday afternoon after their night game

- UND will have the extra rest going into Saturday

- hopefully UM and UMD will go 19 overtimes :):glare:

Do the extra 3 hours of rest really mean that much?