SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota to sue North Dakota over Hunting Rules

CoteauRinkRat

I think it is absolutely laughable!! What a better way to work though the situation than to file a lawsuit. As a ND sportsman, I will admit our law needs so re-work....but why aren't they going after SD?? Their laws are ever worse than ours!!

What will ND landowners and hunters think when they see a MN license plate this fall??

(Is all this because Pawlenty had to wear the Sioux jersey???)

The biggest bone of contention is the fact that resident Minnesotans who own their own land in NoDak are prohibited from using it in the same fashion as Nodak residents. States generally have the right to limit access to resources in their own borders, but they can't discriminate with regard to use of private property. Factor in the lost $$$ for NoDak business people and you have another example of why morons should not govern. :D

On a larger scale, this "restriction" is one more reason why businesspeople pause when they consider NoDak for expansion or relocation. I dealt with a few businesses who opted for SoDak, Iowa or Wisco, because there is a strong perception that NoDak is hostile to out-of-state businesses. This is not because hunters or fishermen run the businesses, but because the provincial isolationism can seep into other facets of the state and impressions matter. NoDak can't say, "Business is Welcome", while shutting the doors on those who might actually control "business", especially when some of them are from there originally. :);)

Out of state residents who are ND land owners certainly should be given certain exemptions when it comes to hunting and fishing regulations. Period.

As far as anyone else, I like the rules that have recently been implemented regarding out of state fees. Its about f'ing time we caught up with the rest of the upper midwest in the governing of our natural resources, instead of giving them away like we have done for too many years in the past.

BTW:

The lawsuit will get laughed out of court... unless MN wants to sue South Dakota, Iowa, Montana, etc. too... as well as change there own management policies. More trash clogging the legal system if you ask me. :D

• 2 weeks later...
I definitely think North Dakota's regulations of out of state hunters need to be looked into again and reworked, but this lawsuit will only cause landowners in North Dakota to have more animosity towards out of staters, especially Minnesota hunters.

I think your right, however, I think the law suit will not go through, just a hunch. I think the Government will let the states fight it out on the local level. Ron Scara had an article in the Sunday Red Star and Sickle on this issue. Both sides seem real entrentched. I just hope that Minnesota Residents can again hunt on the opening weekends in ducks and on plots land for pheasants again soon. It sucks that I can't take my brother with me opening weekend because he has a blue liscense plate on his truck.

I think the people that brought the law suit have merits to their case because Ducks and geese are regulated by federal regulations and are not the property of the state of ND.

I think the people that brought the law suit have merits to their case because Ducks and geese are regulated by federal regulations and are not the property of the state of ND.

I agree, the ducks and geese are not the property of North Dakota, but pheasants are not a migratory bird and the are raised by a lot of people in the state and therefore are property of the state. I think lumping all the birds into one category by some making the arguments is not right. My only problem with it is Minnesota is mad about the restrictions and they are mad about the price raise. North Dakota was way behind on the price raise and it was definitely justified. There is obviously a demand for hunting in the state and they did what any state or business would do in such a situation. If Minnesota hunters want to fight this, they need to stick to the real issues that matter to them like no hunting the first weekend, because the raising of the prices was something that is justified and will remain where they are.