SiouxSports.com Forum

Atmosphere in the Ralph

ndcaseman

On the post game show last Saturday night Scott Hennen made the comment that the fans did not create much of an atmosphere and led me to believe that we were just a bunch of dead beats. I would agree with coach Blais that the fans didn't have much to cheer about Saturday night. But the issue that I am getting to is that many of the fans in my section think that the music being played by the Ralph is just to damn loud. :lol: I see people with their hands covering their ears because it is so loud that it hurts. I was not in Wisconson but heard that they do not use the loud music to help cheer on the team. They leave it up to the crowd and it works well. You will also notice that when the fans get a good cheer going and start making a lot of noise, the music comes drowning out the fans so the fans then stop. My solution would be to start by turning down the music that they do play and then don't play it so often.

Let the fans cheer on the team!

Go Sioux!! :huh:

Does the music drown out the fans?

-No. Most of the fans sit on their hands and don't make noise period.

I was not in Wisconson but heard that they do not use the loud music to help cheer on the team. They leave it up to the crowd and it works well.

That's because Bucky has great fans, and their student body is given a little leeway on what they can and can't say...oh and they can stand because they are not blocking anyone's view.

I was at the Denver series. There were a couple of times I would have liked to have been cheering or yelling at the players or whatever, but the music got in the way.

I think they do a pretty good job at making a fun atmosphere at the Ralph, but a little too much canned music, not enough band, not enough cheers.

People, let us not forget UND was trailing 4-1 in what was one of the dullest college hockey games in recent memory. I was in the stands and had NOTHING to cheer for. My beer tasted good though.

Excitement in the stands is usually an extension of excitement on the ice. Saturday, there was neither.

I was watching a game from the early 80's on ESPN classic the other night and noticed how strange the boards looked without ads plastered all over them. Also the ice had nothing but lines and circles. The powerplay was not "brought to you by Acme Corp". The fans were very loud and on their feet during exciting parts of the game (it was on Long Island).

Like the NHL and other pro sports college sports follow suit. Now there is not an inch of the boards that do not have advertising. The ice also has ads painted in it. The powerplay is "brought to you buy the GF Herald", what if there was no powerplay, would the Herald get a refund? Could the players sue the Herald saying they deserved a powerplay?

Today sports are increasingly a place to be seen, to bring clients, not to chear for your team. In my section there are several people that spend more time on their cells than watching the game - and this is the student section. A good % of season ticket holders care more about impressing their clients, friends, and everyone in their vicinity.

On that ESPN classic game their were no bar flies claiming to be Bryan Trottier's girlfriend. Unfortunately I have to listen to the girl next me bragging to anyone that will hear that she is ZP's girlfriend and also has have the teams' numbers in her cell phone.

It's a sad sign of the times. :lol:

Sic...I agree, there is way too much advertising going on over the PA. I haven't heard any other arena that has as many advertisements as REA does. I don't recall hearing advertisements at any other arena either...

Question for Gopher fans...Does this happen at Mariucci? Is the Gopher PP sponsered by the Strib, or Penalty Kill by BK?

I was watching a game from the early 80's on ESPN classic the other night and noticed how strange the boards looked without ads plastered all over them. Also the ice had nothing but lines and circles. The powerplay was not "brought to you by Acme Corp".

Yeah, getting money for mentioning BK during the starting lineups is the reason for a bad atmosphere... He\_\_, I'll tattoo Taco Bell on my butt if they give me enough money. Doubt it would wreck the atmosphere either :huh::lol:

The current state of the REA is due to a number of factors. Read my entire post and you may understand my point - sporting events are becoming more corporate, they are a place to conduct business rather than support the team. I agree that having Burger King sponser the starting lineup does not kill the atmosphere, but it among several other things seem to be wounding it.

Hennin flapping his yap does nothing for me. I don't care if State Farm is the sponsor of the out of town score board put it up on the Dam* facia ring that's what it's for isn't it? :lol:

I have been to other rinks around the WCHA, OURS is the worst for yammering when the puck is in play about where to eat after the game.

Canuck, You hit it right on the head! :huh:

Fer cryin' out loud, Scott Hennen is simply the freakin' announcer. He doesn't just sit there and dream up stuff to say. He reads the script he's given. If he wasn't saying it, someone else would be. :lol:

For the record, I do get annoyed by the music blaring from the PA system during almost every stop in play. There have been times when the crowd is really into the game and the noise is starting to pick up, but it's drowned out by a blast of music.

Hennin flapping his yap does nothing for me. I don't care if State Farm is the sponsor of the out of town score board put it up on the Dam* facia ring that's what it's for isn't it? :lol:

I agree completely, Riverman. I sent an e-mail to the Ralph asking them to please put out-of-town scores on the fascia ring instead of "advertising" for the next game, which by the way, season ticket holders know is going to happen. The response from the Ralph was "thank you, we're working toward a solution." Obviously the solution is to have Hennen talk more. Maybe more people would look at the scoreboard if they actually had a reason to a la out-of-town scores.

I agree completely, Riverman. I sent an e-mail to the Ralph asking them to please put out-of-town scores on the fascia ring instead of "advertising" for the next game, which by the way, season ticket holders know is going to happen. The response from the Ralph was "thank you, we're working toward a solution." Obviously the solution is to have Hennen talk more. Maybe more people would look at the scoreboard if they actually had a reason to a la out-of-town scores.

I've always wanted to see some stats posted. Aren't they all done by computer anyways?

Fer cryin' out loud, Scott Hennen is simply the freakin' announcer. He doesn't just sit there and dream up stuff to say. He reads the script he's given. If he wasn't saying it, someone else would be. :lol:

Yes, but it is getting absolutely ridiculous. Of course someone tells him to say all the crap he does, but they need to re-evaluate the importance of all of those announcements. The music seemed to be blasting louder than normal last weekend, and I don't know how many times I found myself muttering "shut up already Hennen." I vowed to bring a sign that said just that for the Tech series. At the beginning of the season, I thought the Gopher fans were crazy for thinking our announcer was annoying. I love his enthusiasm when he announces the starting lineup and goals. I'm beginning to see otherwise, though.

Well folks, there hopefully will be a solution to the atmosphere problem. A group of students has joined together to work towards a compromise with the UND administration and president Kupchella. This group is going to look at issues dealing with what students can or cannot stay, the standing situation in the lower bowl student section, and just atmosphere deadness in general. Hopefully we can accomplish something to help bring the 6th man back to Fighting Sioux hockey.

Yes, but it is getting absolutely ridiculous. Of course someone tells him to say all the crap he does, but they need to re-evaluate the importance of all of those announcements. The music seemed to be blasting louder than normal last weekend, and I don't know how many times I found myself muttering "shut up already Hennen." I vowed to bring a sign that said just that for the Tech series. At the beginning of the season, I thought the Gopher fans were crazy for thinking our announcer was annoying. I love his enthusiasm when he announces the starting lineup and goals. I'm beginning to see otherwise, though.

I agree. However I make this stipulation

I do not think twice when Hennan is over the PA during play as long as it is DIRECTLY applicable to the game going on, such as restating who scored.

Advertisements could come between periods.

Also, the Marquee boards should be majority student announcements like lyrics, chants, other scores in the WCHA, other scores from UND athletics, and graphics directly related to the game (such as GOAL!, or the Scoring info)

And what was with the "Zac Attack Minot Swim Team" crap? Obviously Zac Attack isn't Parise.

Getting? How is it any different than it ever was? This is amazing. :lol:

It's my opinion, and obviously that of others here, that the announcer is starting to speak WAY too much during play. Between plays, fine. But there were plenty of times this weekend when he started talking between plays, continued right through play, and was still speaking by the next whistle. It has most definitely increased. For crying in the beer, when I wore that stupid McDonald's costume during the Alaska series, Russ the guard told me that some other security guys were discussing over their walkie talkies whether or not they should make me take it off because McDonald's is not a sponsor at REA. But someone else told them to let me wear it because REA was in the process of trying to get McDonald's on board. So don't tell me that advertising during the games hasn't gotten out of hand.

But of course, since you "rolled your eyes" and obviously think Hennen speaks the perfect amount during the game, I'm wrong. And so are you Sicatoka, and Redwing, and MinnesotaNorthStar, and jloos....

Question for Gopher fans...Does this happen at Mariucci? Is the Gopher PP sponsered by the Strib, or Penalty Kill by BK?

PP is sponsored by Subway I beleive, "If the Gophers score on this power play, Subway donates...blah, blah, blah... ". Otherwise at Mecca nothing goes on over the speakers during play.

And piped in music sucks! I LOVE having a semi-decent to good band!

WPoS

It's my opinion, and obviously that of others here, that the announcer is starting to speak WAY too much during play.

And it's my opinion that people are starting to whine about every little thing because the Sioux aren't playing well!

Ever notice how none of this stuff seems to matter when the Sioux are winning?

And it's my opinion that people are starting to whine about every little thing because the Sioux aren't playing well!

Ever notice how none of this stuff seems to matter when the Sioux are winning?

I missed last Sat's game so the last time I saw the Sioux lose at home was November 14 (yes I had to look that up). I enjoy the games regardless of score, I love college hockey. My point was and still is that a large % of the fans at the REA could care less about the game. Like the NHL arenas the REA has become a place to conduct business. I think this kills the atmosphere more than the adverstising.

The advertising has slowly gotten worse over the last 15 years, it is not something new, but in my opinion it is starting to get out of hand. I wonder if 10 years from now the players jersey's will look like NASCAR uniforms. I understand the REA is trying to make a profit, but the atmosphere they are creating is a turn off to many 'real' hockey fans.

That said the REA is still the nicest rink in the world, and I am very thankful to Ralph. I think the REA admin needs to work on creating a better atmosphere.

Let me clarify my point of view on this.

The band, the music, the PA announcer:

None are supposed to be "doing their thing" when the puck is in play*.

With the ability of the referee to "warn" the crowd about hats after a hat trick, are we sure a penalty can't be assessed for not following this part of game protocol?

They need to sell the advertisements to make the economic engine go. Should some of the copy be reviewed to ensure it can be read in under 20 seconds? Probably.

* The only exception is the PA announcer to report goals and assists.