SiouxSports.com Forum

Rule changes for basketball 2015-16 season

SWSiouxMN

Mens big changes include a 30 second shot clock, increasing restriction zone to 4 feet, returning to perimeter d emphasis from 2 years prior and using timeouts called within 30 seconds of the media as the media.

Women have a few noteworthy changes. Will go to 4 10 minute quarters and can inbound the ball at halfcourt off of timeouts at the last minute of 4th quarter and overtimes.

Good or bad changes to the respective games.

Mens big changes include a 30 second shot clock, increasing restriction zone to 4 feet, returning to perimeter d emphasis from 2 years prior and using timeouts called within 30 seconds of the media as the media.

Women have a few noteworthy changes. Will go to 4 10 minute quarters and can inbound the ball at halfcourt off of timeouts at the last minute of 4th quarter and overtimes.

Why is college the only ones with halves and not quarters. You have quarters in high school and the pros but not college.

Why is college the only ones with halves and not quarters. You have quarters in high school and the pros but not college.

Actually depends on the state.  Minnesota HS goes by halves and I believe that there are other states that do this or are considering it as well.

Actually depends on the state.  Minnesota HS goes by halves and I believe that there are other states that do this or are considering it as well.

I know South Dakota still uses quarters, I think it was my 8th grade or freshman year or high school when Minnesota switched over to halves. It was always interesting when we traveled across the border into SD to take on the Sioux Falls schools in bball.  Bringing the home unis on the road was fun as well :whistling:

On the women's side, the changes are good as team fouls reset at the end of each quarter.  Means fewer free-throws and hopefully the games go a bit quicker.  On the men's side, the 30 second shot clock is a good idea as well as the timeout within the first media counting as the media.  That second one is in line with women's bball.

I thought I also read that only 3 timeouts will carry over to the second half for the men.  That will deffinitely speed up games down the stretch. 

• 4 weeks later...

...using timeouts called within 30 seconds of the media as the media.

Women have a few noteworthy changes. ...can inbound the ball at halfcourt off of timeouts at the last minute of 4th quarter and overtimes.

First change: HOORAY!

Second change: The magical advancement of the ball to halfcourt simply because you call a TO rule. Yuck.