SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Athletics Letter

SiouxTupa

Last weeks Sports Illustrated had a big article on the Michigan-Michigan State hockey rivalrly. Read that and then tell me the profanity at UND games is out of hand! All of the chants the reporter wrote about had to be typographically bleeped out. There didn't seem to be any complaints from the respective university presidents or non-student fans. My recommendation for all of you is to read that article.

DG

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's all well and good, Dick, if you buy into the "everybody does it" defense. But let me ask you something that the Sicatoka alluded to: Are the fans at Michigan and Michigan State under a microscope because of their schools' nicknames? Didn't think so.

And here is the first column concerning the name/logo and fan behavior.

Changed it, PCM :)

The first mention of Inside Edition makes this article lose any credibility. This is comparable to citing the National Enquiror. Next week Ms. Yellowbird will probably have an article about how Elvis is the true father of Michael Jackson's children making Lisa Marie their half sister/ex-stepmother.

From the Simpsons Episode mocking shows like Inside Edition

Homer: You mean...I'm on my own? I've never been on my own! Oh no...on

own...on own! I need help...oh, God, help me. Help me, God!

[phone rings, Homer answers it very slowly]

Homer: [very slowly] Y'ello?

Man: Hello, Homer. This is God...frey Jones from the TV magazine show

"Rock Bottom".

Jones: We're aware of your problems, and, Mr. Simpson...we want to help.

Homer: Mmm. I saw that report you did on Sasquatch. It was fair and

even-handed. I'll do it!

Last weeks Sports Illustrated had a big article on the Michigan-Michigan State hockey rivalrly. Read that and then tell me the profanity at UND games is out of hand! All of the chants the reporter wrote about had to be typographically bleeped out. There didn't seem to be any complaints from the respective university presidents or non-student fans. My recommendation for all of you is to read that article.

DG

That's simply not true. Michigan has tried very hard to cut this type of activity out. Even going so far as having Red Berenson get on the mic before the game and ask the students to cool it with the expletives. He had his grandson on the ice with him. They also sent letters to their student season ticket holders prior to the start of the season. Michigan State is also trying to end such behavior.

PCM, I think you are missing Mory00's point, He agrees that changes need to be changed.  But at the same time, he and I along with about 30 other students tried to create atmosphere by handing out little sheets of paper with cheers and the school songs on the to the general public when they walked in the doors.  You wouldn't believe how many people either didn't want them or threw them away after a quick glance.

A security guard actually told me to stop handing them out cause they were just being tossed on the floor :lol:

I'm sorry if you got the impression that your flyers weren't appreciated and/or useful. They were great and were appreciated (at the very least by the people I go to games with--so thanks!) You're never gonna get the entire crowd to cheer because there are many people who are there just to socialize. But the first step to getting the Fogies (me included) to cheer along is to educate them on what you are doing. If we don't know what you are chanting/cheering and when you do specific things we won't join in. The flyers may not have gotten you 10,000 more fans cheering along, but it got me cheering more (huge difference I know) Those fans that do care will pick it up and pass it on to others.

**one thought that may have been mentioned before-- cheerleaders or even students educating the fans. for example, Use some time before the game or during intermission to have a green harem member (or perhaps diggler in a cheerleader uniform :) ) lead the crowd in a specific cheer and tell them when it is done. Even if the Fogies don't catch on right away it will get the students going.

I was in California visiting my nephews during that series, so I have no opinion. I do agree that the Denver series was electrifying, but my whole point with that statment was that you telling him that his subjective experience was flat out wrong sounds as stubborn as the students who will tell you that they won't stop swearing because it's tradition/their right/etc. I'm not disagreeing with you, just the way you're wording your statements, because I do think that Mory00 has a point also.

But let me ask you this: Would you behave the same way if your grandmother was sitting next to you? - Sicatoka

I won't lie to you, I behaved the exact same way when my mom and 37 year old sister sat next to me during the St. Cloud series as I did any other time. They knew what they were getting into if I snuck them into the lower bowl student section, and dare I say, they had fun. :)

Again, I agree things need to change. I just believe that instead of acting accusatory, the administration would get farther much faster if they worked with the students.

I do agree that the Denver series was electrifying, but my whole point with that statment was that you telling him that his subjective experience was flat out wrong sounds as stubborn as the students who will tell you that they won't stop swearing because it's tradition/their right/etc.

I didn't say that his opinion was wrong. I said his statement wasn't true because it wasn't. I was there. I heard the post-game reactions from the players and coaches regarding the atmoshphere in the arena. I can judge for myself whether there's any validity to the claim.

Has anyone else read the back page of the 2/13 Dakota Student? What a joke. Most of the letters are from disgruntled UNA fans.

The one that made me laugh out loud was the person complaining about the St. Cloud hockey game at The Ralph. The writer stated that he/she had attended games at the National Hockey Center in St. Cloud and never experienced profanity to the extreme that he/she experienced that night. Please. St. Cloud has the rowdiest student section in the WCHA.

I think the whole sportsmanship debate is a bunch of BS. There are more important things for people to bitch about.

Has anyone else read the back page of the 2/13 Dakota Student? What a joke. Most of the letters are from disgruntled UNA fans.

The one that made me laugh out loud was the person complaining about the St. Cloud hockey game at The Ralph. The writer stated that he/she had attended games at the National Hockey Center in St. Cloud and never experienced profanity to the extreme that he/she experienced that night. Please. St. Cloud has the rowdiest student section in the WCHA.

I think the whole sportsmanship debate is a bunch of BS. There are more important things for people to bitch about.

I did too. Although some of the UNA fans MAY have had some merit to them, this SCSU fan did not. It's no surprise how much SCSU and their fanbase do not like UND, even without the hockey program. That letter should be taken with a grain of salt.