SiouxSports.com Forum

ND h.s. bball: is it getting worse?

UND92,96

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add the Undlin's from Mohall to that list. Interesting to note that the assistant coach at NSU in those days was Tim Miles. Yes, that Tim Miles.

As long as Glas has been at UND, ND class B has not been recruited that heavily by the Sioux. Ben Jacobson was an assistant coach in those days and you would have thought coming from Mayville and being a successful player for the Sioux, that he would have been able to see that Class B players could compete at that level. One issue was that UND wouldn't offer money initially to the ND kids. They would have to come to UND and "prove themselves" and maybe get some scholarship money after a year. I know that is what happened with one of your three listed at NSU. And I know that it happened with many others as well. Maybe that has changed. :silly:

If memory serves me correctly, Ross Pankratz was offered to walk on at UND, redshirt his freshman year, and then earn a scholarship. I'm pretty sure Billeter didn't recruit him at all. But Northern offered at least a partial scholarship and his senior year they played in the elite eight. Northern recruited ND very well in the mid-90's, starting with Matt Clooten from Beulah, then the Vliem's, then Ross and Dustin and Scott Hanson. Even now Adam Grant from Berthold starts for them and I know Craig Nelson went there but I am not sure of his playing time.

I don't know if anyone is necessarily advocating this, but in no way should UND or any other state university bring a player aboard to, persay, fill a quota of state players. You need people who can help, not a 6-7 stiff from Oakes who is tall but slow as molasses with no athletic ability who is on the team just because he is a ND kid. A program doesn't win that way and reps are taken away from people who can and will contribute. I don't see anyone that the current staff has "missed" on in state, the Hanson's and Vliems and Undlin's included. Those kids would have contributed at UND, and I am not taking anything away from them, but I am not sure if they would have had the same success in a system where they wouldn't have gotten to play from day 1, which wouldn't have been the case at UND. Thomas Dryburgh from Fordville-Lankin via Fargo Shanley is at Wahpeton Science right now and is one to watch, though. He is playing pretty good minutes for them, and they are dynamite in an otherwise weak region.

Since you apparently don't know, the NCAA is a governing body, their job is to tell universities what they can and can't do. If and your NDSU brotheren don't like the NCAA, fell free to join the NAIA, there Koenig would get to play and you could bend all the rules you wanted and no one would know.

Pfft...the NCAA can suck it. They have the nerve to try and tell colleges what they can and can't do.

First, schools voluntarily join the NCAA, an independent and private organization, and as such those schools volunteer and agree to follow NCAA by-laws.

As far as "bending" their rules, Southern Methodist University (SMU) "bent" some NCAA rules during the late 1980s "Pony Express" era (Eric Dickerson and Craig James in the backfield) and SMU got "bent" right back: the NCAA death sentence for their football program. It hasn't recovered yet.

Since you apparently don't know, the NCAA is a governing body, their job is to tell universities what they can and can't do. If and your NDSU brotheren don't like the NCAA, fell free to join the NAIA, there Koenig would get to play and you could bend all the rules you wanted and no one would know.

I resemble that remark. You would not like if I said siouxrock represented all UND brethern.

I know I am being picky, but Eric Dickerson was in the NFL in 1984. Should be early 1980's.

The Sicatoka Posted on Feb 11 2004, 07:38 AM

As far as "bending" their rules, Southern Methodist University (SMU) "bent" some NCAA rules during the late 1980s "Pony Express" era (Eric Dickerson and Craig James in the backfield) and SMU got "bent" right back: the NCAA death sentence for their football program. It hasn't recovered yet

I know I am being picky, but Eric Dickerson was in the NFL in 1984.  Should be early 1980's.

You're right.

SMU was "bending" in the early 1980s and got the death sentence in the mid to late 1980s (after ED and James were gone). Hey, it all blends together after a while. :silly:

Even now Adam Grant from Berthold starts for them and I know Craig Nelson went there but I am not sure of his playing time.

Grant is actually averaging 12 points a game at Northern, so I guess that makes three North Dakotans averaging in double figures at the dII level right now. However, I don't think either UND or NDSU really "missed" on him. He's essentially a "poor man's" Evan Lindahl. He's shorter, slower and less talented offensively than Lindahl, in my opinion, but he's a pretty good shooter.

Nelson is red-shirting, I believe.

Grant is actually averaging 12 points a game at Northern, so I guess that makes three North Dakotans averaging in double figures at the dII level right now. However, I don't think either UND or NDSU really "missed" on him. He's essentially a "poor man's" Evan Lindahl. He's shorter, slower and less talented offensively than Lindahl, in my opinion, but he's a pretty good shooter.

Nelson is red-shirting, I believe.

I totally disagree about Grant. I think this kid might not be as quick as Lindahl, but he is a way better shooter and this causes problems for other defenses because of his size and his ability to shoot so well from the outside. I watched him play a couple games in high school and now in college and think he is a lot better than you give him credit for.

I totally disagree about Grant. I think this kid might not be as quick as Lindahl, but he is a way better shooter and this causes problems for other defenses because of his size and his ability to shoot so well from the outside. I watched him play a couple games in high school and now in college and think he is a lot better than you give him credit for.

I can't agree that Grant is a better shooter than Lindahl. Lindahl is one of the best shooters in the NCC right now. He's also made great strides as a rebounder, and he's not quite the defensive liability he was last year, either. I'm pretty sure that Northern and perhaps one or two other NSIC schools were the only dII schools who seriously recruited Grant, whereas Lindahl was recruited very hard by UND, NDSU and others. I agree that Grant looked good at the state tournament two years ago, but that's not always the best barometer of who will succeed in college. Brandon Badding looked very good at state his junior year, too.

Actually, I know that Grant was recruited by a couple NCC schools. We'll have to agree to disagree on this, just not sure Lindahl is the savior you are making him out to be.  I don't think Lindahl is good enough yet to be calling any player, a "poor man's Lindahl".

I don't think Lindahl is a savior by any means. I just think that a) he's a good player--maybe even all-NCC as a sophomore; and b) he's better than Grant. I am interested in UND Fan and Corella's opinion on this one, as well. Take this for whatever it's worth, but in a head-to-head matchup in Aberdeen this year, Lindahl out-scored Grant 22 to 4. Since both play the same position, I assume they were guarding each other for much of the game.

bad thing about Koening is he told both NDSU and UND he was their choice...wo who really knows what this kid is thinking....his buddy Tommy Leikas only says....who knows what he will do..he will think about it at the end of the season....but.....dont count out old crafty Randall Herbst.....NDSU thought they had A. Austin too...and look where he ended up....good bad or otherwise....good old RH...gotta love him......peace out....

92,96 - I really don't know anything about the Grant kid. I do, however, usually have a pretty good insight into who UND is recruiting and how bad they want someone. They were aware of Grant but were not interested in giving him any $.

As you stated, Lindahl was at the top of the list for two reasons: 1) his potential and 2) the fact that he was a ND kid whose dad played for the Sioux. Many DI schools recruiting him quite hard. He wasn't really on their radar screen until his last year of AAU ball when he really started to develop. SU went after him very hard. SU fans will dispute this but one of the reasons that Greg McDermott convinced Ben Jacobson to move from UND to SU was to recruit his cousin, Adam, to commit to SU. (Adam had always planned to go to UND.) The ultimate reason for this was that Adam and Lindahl played on the same AAU team. They thought getting Adam would help them get Evan. It is interesting how this all turned out with both players ending up at UND. It is also interesting (and disappointing) that Adam isn't developing into a better BB player.

Regarding other ND kids, there is no question that Northern got some pretty good talent out of ND in the mid-90's. As far as actual talent is concerned, I am not sure how great they were individually but they certainly played well together - they were an excellent team. Well-coached and successful.

Bottom line - UND has always wanted to recruit the ND players they thought could produce but there aren't that many of them. When you need to make a decision to offer limited scholarship $ to a ND kid with some talent who has played against average competition versus a pretty talented kid who has played against better competition in other states, it is a pretty easy decision.

Lindahl also had interest from the University of Minnesota....i believe half a scholarship....although they offered it too late and he already verbally committed to UND...lucky for UND.......

I am pretty sure D1 doesn't give partial scholarships

First, schools voluntarily join the NCAA, an independent and private organization, and as such those schools volunteer and agree to follow NCAA by-laws.

As far as "bending" their rules, Southern Methodist University (SMU) "bent" some NCAA rules during the late 1980s "Pony Express" era (Eric Dickerson and Craig James in the backfield) and SMU got "bent" right back: the NCAA death sentence for their football program. It hasn't recovered yet.

Only 'Death Sentence' the NCAA has ever handed out and they'll never do it again. It destroyed SMU. They haven't recovered yet and never will.