SiouxSports.com Forum

Marvin "Whitey" Helling

MafiaMan

Not sure if there was a relation, but Rick Helling actually came to UND from Shanley to play football his freshman yr, before transferring to a juco for baseball.

I am quite sure they were not related.  Rick grew up in Lakota and transferred to Shanley for his senior year (for football).  Marv was from Luverne, MN and went to Macalaster. 

I am quite sure they were not related.  Rick grew up in Lakota and transferred to Shanley for his senior year (for football).  Marv was from Luverne, MN and went to Macalaster. 

It would be interesting to search the GF Herald archives on this, because I have a vague recollection of reading something from when Rick committed or signed with UND for football that said he was related to Marv. But that's 25 years ago, so I could very well be wrong.

Not sure if there was a relation, but Rick Helling actually came to UND from Shanley to play football his freshman yr, before transferring to a juco for baseball.

I might be mistaken but I believe he went to Stanford and pitched there.

I might be mistaken but I believe he went to Stanford and pitched there.

He left UND to play baseball at Kishwaukee (a juco in IL... Chris Coste from Fargo later played there 1 season) then transferred to Stanford for 1 year & was drafted by the Rangers in the 1992 draft.