SiouxSports.com Forum

WORLD JUNIORS - Toronto/Montreal - DEC 25/JAN 5

AZSIOUX

Same thing I posted early on in this thread, that spca thought was laughable. Didn't pick on Eichel but thought he tried to handle the puck himself way too much, and turned it over way too much. Nick never really got to show what we've seen him do on the pp when with Eichel, because he wouldn't give it up. What was odd it seemed that most of the us players tried to force the puck to him when he was covered. Wonder if that was coaches' choice

Eichel was out there every other shift or it sure looked like he was. Eichel was out there to make himself look better for the draft but he didn't do anything that made me think he should be taken over McDavid.

Eichel was out there every other shift or it sure looked like he was. Eichel was out there to make himself look better for the draft but he didn't do anything that made me think he should be taken over McDavid.

almost felt like he was mic'ed up with the US announcers, who couldn't get over talking about how great he is. Don't think he tried playing the same way at BU, or he wouldn't be putting up the numbers he does. If any pro scouts had questions on who would be picked first vs McDavid, I think that question has been answered.

Anthony DeAngelo looked pretty good on D...at least from what I saw of him.

DeAngelo did look good but not Jones, Trouba or Carson good.   He had the one of the few shots that did hit the net from the blueline and look at what happened.   You need a quarterback on the blueline for the PP that can hit the net at least half the time.   It just wasn't there with that corp.

• Upvote 1

The USA wound up in relegation play in 2012...not that gfhockey wants to blame that one on their head coach...

That team should have been contending for a medal.

Wasn't that Milano or do I have my ENG's mixed up?

It was DeAngelo, he was chacing down a clear along the board and by the USA team bench tried to throw the puck cross ice. Instead it was right on the tape Reinhart. The second empty net goal I thought Eichel half-assed a pass that was picked off, when Eichel should have put the puck on net from the point with 4 seconds left.

almost felt like he was mic'ed up with the US announcers, who couldn't get over talking about how great he is. Don't think he tried playing the same way at BU, or he wouldn't be putting up the numbers he does. If any pro scouts had questions on who would be picked first vs McDavid, I think that question has been answered.

I really could see him leaving to the QMJHL and not going back to BU.

My observations on Team USA:

Fasching -- he'd go to the corner but never came away from the boards with the puck.

Eichel -- he forgot he had teammates; he was trying to win it by himself

USA defense -- small, quick, but I saw nobody that I expect to have a 10-year NHL career (there were no "Cam Fowler" types)

USA powerplay -- I don't like the changes v. Russia; they should've left Schmaltz and Matthews together on the second unit; if Eichel needed a shooter on the first unit put Larkin there

I might be a homer, but guys I'd take from Team USA in order: Larkin, Schmaltz, DeLeo, Matthews. (You can keep Eichel and that goalie.)

We're on a SWE v. CAN crash course.

PS - Any of you pilot types available to get Nick Schmaltz back to GF in time for a game v. the U18s? :D

It was DeAngelo, he was chacing down a clear along the board and by the USA team bench tried to throw the puck cross ice. Instead it was right on the tape Reinhart. The second empty net goal I thought Eichel half-assed a pass that was picked off, when Eichel should have put the puck on net from the point with 4 seconds left.

If the first one was DeAngelo, the second one was for sure Milano. I remember posting a comment about how horrible a pass attempt that was.

If the first one was DeAngelo, the second one was for sure Milano. I remember posting a comment about how horrible a pass attempt that was.

It was the second one you're thinking of. I know Eichel was with the puck along the middle of the blueline, I kept thinking put the puck on net. Next thing Domi has another goal.

Isn't that on the coaching staff then?

I'd say coaches and player, but I don't remember much about that World Juniors.