SiouxSports.com Forum

Miracle Movie

WPoS

I haven't seen it yet, but even the erudite Times seems to like it, and gave it a pretty solid review on Friday. Here's a bit more of a review, as well as spin on hockey movies in general.

New York Times

A Cold War Battle, Fought on the Ice

By CHARLES McGRATH

Published: February 8, 2004

THE canon of watchable or even semi-watchable hockey movies is pitifully small: "Slapshot," "Youngblood" (a now forgotten Rob Lowe vehicle that was part teen romance and part coming-of-age story, about learning to drop your gloves and throw some punches out there on the ice), the three installments of the "Mighty Ducks" saga, "Mystery, Alaska" and just a few others. These movies, like sports movies in general, divide into two categories, or sometimes vibrate between them. There are the earnest, uplifting movies

Very good!!!

I did notice a flaw though. When the U.S. scored their last goal to tie it at 3-3, the scoreboard showed 4-3. After we scored our 4th goal it showed 3-3. The pictures must have been out of order. Did anybody else notice this or hear about it? I don't see how Hollywood could have screwed that up.

It was very good though. Nice feel good story seeing a team that you want to win, do just that, since ours isn't right now.

I went to the movie down in the cities this past weekend and it was a great movie.

I have to say that it was a really inspiring movie. A great tribute to Herbie Brooks as well as the 1980 Olympic team. I am going to buy it as soon as it comes out on DVD...

I did notice a flaw though. When the U.S. scored their last goal to tie it at 3-3, the scoreboard showed 4-3. After we scored our 4th goal it showed 3-3. The pictures must have been out of order. Did anybody else notice this or hear about it? I don't see how Hollywood could have screwed that up.

I noticed that also.

I loved the movie. I thought it was very good and a lot better than the previous movie made about this team.

I saw it and it was great. I was sitting on the edge of my seat the final period of the game against Russia.

The best part was when the coach was in the locker room with team at the end of the first period and he calls one of the players a candyass. The coach leaves the room and smiles at the assistant head coach and says "That will get them worked up."

• 3 months later...

Miracle is a must see movie and I recommend it to anyone that is a fan of hockey.

I will have to buy the DVD soon. I still remember watching it on TV in 1980 and it should be an inspiration to all that call themselves fans of hockey. Brooks was old school and we need more coaches in sports with his line of thinking.

• 2 weeks later...
Fiction!  In real-life, Brooks called Rob MacLanahan a "cake-eater," not a "candy-ass."  Disney changed the name because they felt "candy-ass" was less offensive.  :sad:

No, they probably changed it from "cake-eater" to "candy-ass" because they had already went the "cake-eater" route in the Mighty Ducks movie... :lol:

It was a great movie, though... I remember in 1980, my parents told me that the US Hockey team had beaten the Russians, but I didn't understand what that really meant. I was only 4 & 1/2 at the time, and I tried watching the gold medal game, but I didn't understand hockey, so I quit watching it. Wish I could go back in time and slap myself...