SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Not that it means anything exactly, but it's interesting that Grand Canyon is playing up in Alaska this year.  

If GCU did add hockey I think they could give ASU a run for their money. The basketball atmosphere at GCU is way better than ASU and with a arena the same size as Mullet I think GCU could make it work. They also seem to be buying up property to the east of campus to expand it, surprised they didn't try to buy part of Metrocenter Mall thats 10 minutes away. 

The WCHL had a vote to allow SDSU and NAU join but only SDSU did, or that is what the UNLV coach made it seem. WCHL with ASU, Arizona, GCU and NAU sounds nice.

16 hours ago, cberkas said:

If GCU did add hockey I think they could give ASU a run for their money. The basketball atmosphere at GCU is way better than ASU and with a arena the same size as Mullet I think GCU could make it work. They also seem to be buying up property to the east of campus to expand it, surprised they didn't try to buy part of Metrocenter Mall thats 10 minutes away. 

The WCHL had a vote to allow SDSU and NAU join but only SDSU did, or that is what the UNLV coach made it seem. WCHL with ASU, Arizona, GCU and NAU sounds nice.

NAU probably thought they would have an on campus rink by now.  All they need is a zamboni and a ice chiller.  

https://www.change.org/p/nau-fieldhouse-rink

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, cberkas said:

Starting the fundraising campaign. still needs to be bigger around 5k

Agreed.  They also need to find a legitimate architect with hockey experience.  Really bothers me that the school doesn't seem to be helping... even as part of like a recreation facility standpoint.  Community support for anything hockey outside our region is pathetic.

Not too far down the road is North Carolina State, where the Hurricanes are investing 300 million into PNC arena.  It's really sad that the school and the Canes don't seem to be interested in adding an extra sheet of ice for the club program (and the community) as part of that plan.  They do appear to be adding a 4,300 seat ballroom/concert venue, however!  That would be a perfect size for the club team and they could still use it for concerts... https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/wake-county-news/new-ideas-revealed-for-pnc-arena-multi-million-dollar-renovation-plan/

Edit: make that 5,00 seats. In addition to upgrades, Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon has separate plans to develop a sports and entertainment district around the arena; containing a 5,000-seat music venue, stores, offices, a hotel and rental homes, including affordable housing options. In an agreement with the Centennial Authority, Dundon said he would invest up to $800 million into the development.

Rec Sports Master Plan doesn't even mention hockey - hopefully that changes at some point with the success of the Hurricanes and growth of the club programs in the region.  https://facilities.ofa.ncsu.edu/files/2015/04/Recreational-Sports-Master-Plan-Update-2014.pdf