SiouxSports.com Forum

Blueprint for a Rebuild

UNDColorado

And here is a VERY informative article on Bohl's offensive and defensive strategies/styles. Given Bubba's desire to run power football, you should find Bohl's offensive stategy interesting.

No, not a poser for Bohl, as I am a bit upset with the way he left and what he did recruit-wise. The article was interesting to me as a college FB fan.

Klick it-->http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/8/26/6005585/craig-bohl-wyoming-north-dakota-state-football-offense-defense

I don't want to call Bohl's offense conservative, but I think ball-control mindset first applies. 

I've long believed with the college 40 second play clock too many teams are trying to "track meet" it. They should be looking to pound it. Why?

Say you get the ball on the minus 20: 80 yards to a TD.

If you get 3.33 yards every 40 seconds* you'll have chewed through 24 plays at 40 seconds per: 960 seconds. That's over a quarter, and a TD. And the other team's defense got hit 24 times. 

If your defense can get a three-and-out after that, look out. 

*A first down every three plays.

I don't want to call Bohl's offense conservative, but I think ball-control mindset first applies.

I've long believed with the college 40 second play clock too many teams are trying to "track meet" it. They should be looking to pound it. Why?

Say you get the ball on the minus 20: 80 yards to a TD.

If you get 3.33 yards every 40 seconds* you'll have chewed through 24 plays at 40 seconds per: 960 seconds. That's over a quarter, and a TD. And the other team's defense got hit 24 times.

If your defense can get a three-and-out after that, look out.

*A first down every three plays.

There's no question ball control helps a lot of fronts. It's helps the defense with increased TOP, it prevents penalties due to less opportunities/less snaps, and of course it prevents turnovers.

Nevertheless, some teams prefer points due to a porous defense and they have the athletes to play up-tempo no huddle but not the bruising backs and offensive linemen to pound the ball.

Looking back through the annals of North Dakota's football history, I find it kind of interesting prior to Mussman's first 3-8 season in 2010, you have to go back 21 years to find another losing season for UND, which was 1989.  Makes me think it is possible to turn this thing around fairly quickly.  Hell, even Mussman went from 3 wins in 2010 to 8 in 2011.