SiouxSports.com Forum

What Should Be On UND's Wish List for the New ND?

SiouxVolley

What should UND aspire to with the state's and people's new found wealth and promise?

A number of projects are already in the works and planned:

New Medical school at Gateway and Columbia

New Business school

New Engineering building

Geology / Pet Engineering expansion

Expanded law building

New UAS research building

Indoor practice center - Phase I and II

What else?

New Outdoor Football Stadium?

5000 seat indoor hockey arena for women/basketball

New theatre for performing arts

Ophthamology-optometry program

Dentistry program

Veterinarian program

Aerospace engineering

Bioengineering, biochemical engineering

More medical research

Fracking research

What is wrong with thinking big for a change? The "too much mistake" boogeyman has to be retired. Either you are growing or you are dying. If some people in North Dakota had their way, we would still use rotary-dial telephones mounted on the wall.

Nothing wrong with thinking big,come out west and take a look at where all this money's coming from and see what effect it's having out here before you start spending it on performing arts centers in Grand Forks.

What should UND aspire to with the state's and people's new found wealth and promise?

New Business school

New Engineering building

Expanded law building

What else?

New Outdoor Football Stadium?

5000 seat indoor hockey arena for women/basketball

New theatre for performing arts

Ophthamology-optometry program

Dentistry program

Veterinarian program

Aerospace engineering

Bioengineering, biochemical engineering

More medical research

Fracking research

New outdoor stadium, only when it's time for us to move to the FBS.

5,000 seat arena for women's hockey and basketball, when was the last time 5000 people watched a women's hockey game? Or women's basketball? We can't get 5000 to a men's game on a daily basis unless it's Kansas or NDSU coming to town. Maybe a 2,000 seat hockey arena for the women and leave basketball at the Betty.

New outdoor stadium, only when it's time for us to move to the FBS.

5,000 seat arena for women's hockey and basketball, when was the last time 5000 people watched a women's hockey game? Or women's basketball? We can't get 5000 to a men's game on a daily basis unless it's Kansas or NDSU coming to town. Maybe a 2,000 seat hockey arena for the women and leave basketball at the Betty.

Long been a proponent of a smaller rink with video boards that can double as a BB arena. Women's hockey doesn't need to play much in the Ralph, and basketball needs something bigger with video boars. The Ralph should be used for concerts or convention and other events during the week or when the men's hockey team is away. Everybody would benefit.

Nothing wrong with thinking big,come out west and take a look at where all this money's coming from and see what effect it's having out here before you start spending it on performing arts centers in Grand Forks.

Should add programs in Geophysics or PhD is Petroleum Engr. There's a huge demand for Drs and Dentists in the west. They have to come from somewhere.

UND should look more like Nebraska or Kansas institutionally.

Long been a proponent of a smaller rink with video boards that can double as a BB arena. Women's hockey doesn't need to play much in the Ralph, and basketball needs something bigger with video boars. The Ralph should be used for concerts and other events when the men's hockey team is away. Everybody would benefit.

Do you know what capacity was at the Hyslop?

New Business school

New Engineering building

Expanded law building

What else?

New Outdoor Football Stadium? - Not anytime soon

5000 seat indoor hockey arena for women/basketball - The women's hockey program should be cut. BB is fine in the Betty for a while. Definitely no new facility, just renovate the Betty to hold more when the time comes.

New theatre for performing arts - No

Ophthamology-optometry program - No apparent workforce shortage, don't see the current arrangements changing (plenty in the state, just some regional issues that wouldn't be solved with the addition of a program)

Dentistry program - No apparent workforce shortage, don't see the current arrangements changing (plenty in the state, just some regional issues that wouldn't be solved with the addition of a program)

Veterinarian program - No apparent workforce shortage, don't see the current arrangements changing (plenty in the state, just some regional issues that wouldn't be solved with the addition of a program)

Aerospace engineering - Don't we already have this?

Bioengineering, biochemical engineering - Sure

More medical research - This will be happening with the new med school building

Fracking research - Only if it costs $0 in state funds, including waivers and additional professor salaries (get the money from industry or the feds).

Get better teachers

With the students as a priority, rather than research. The better teachers would actually be cheaper. It would have been nice to be able to understand some of the ones I had, as I'm sure they were smart people, unfortunately they were just awful at speaking English.

With the students as a priority, rather than research. The better teachers would actually be cheaper. It would have been nice to be able to understand some of the ones I had, as I'm sure they were smart people, unfortunately they were just awful at speaking English.

Guessing you were around the finance department...

Could be wrong, but I think the 10B is excess revenue that they didn't budget for

I am all for increasing aid for western ND county and municipal governments to deal with the pressures of the oil boom. Unfortunately, some super-geniuses in Bismarck think everything is just fine and dandy in western ND, so it hasn't happened.

I am all for increasing aid for western ND county and municipal governments to deal with the pressures of the oil boom. Unfortunately, some super-geniuses in Bismarck think everything is just fine and dandy in western ND, so it hasn't happened.

Local western ND leaders also need to look at their spending priorities.....

Local western ND leaders also need to look at their spending priorities.....

So you think they are wasting money on stuff? They have roads that are being pounded into gravel by heavy trucks and people being killed because the roads aren't big enough to handle all of it. They have had to build public infrastructure for this huge influx of people after years of depopulation. These are things we take for granted in the east, but they don't happen without money being spent. I realize Al Carlson thinks we are raking in too much money from the oil boom, but if anyone should pay for all this stuff, it's the oil companies. They are the ones making the mess, so we should use those oil tax dollars to do it.

So you think they are wasting money on stuff? They have roads that are being pounded into gravel by heavy trucks and people being killed because the roads aren't big enough to handle all of it. They have had to build public infrastructure for this huge influx of people after years of depopulation. These are things we take for granted in the east, but they don't happen without money being spent. I realize Al Carlson thinks we are raking in too much money from the oil boom, but if anyone should pay for all this stuff, it's the oil companies. They are the ones making the mess, so we should use those oil tax dollars to do it.

http://www.wdaz.com/...ticle/id/23636/

The $76 million facility is the largest park district-owned indoor recreation center in the country.

PRIORITIES. Not only did they spend all this money on something that doesn't address the major issues in the area, they also took construction companies off of more important and time-sensitive projects. And then they complain to the legislature saying they don't have any money for infrastructure (real infrastructure, not a water park), schools, human services, hospitals, etc.

• Upvote 1

Guessing you were around the finance department...

Could be wrong, but I think the 10B is excess revenue that they didn't budget for

It is reasonable to believe that the trust fund will be at least $10 B, maybe by 2020. The world economy would have to collapse, Saudi skeiks would try to kill shale oil by flooding market, or there has a be an energy breakthrough in cold fusion or something for the trust fund to not increase significantly.

The state will not sponsor new athletic facilities, but it doesn't prevent alumni from funding them. If Phil Jackson or someone else wanted to refurbish Hyslop with amenties for basketball, the state wouldn't prevent it. What's Hyslop going to be used for once the IPF is built?

Dentistry or an optometry schools could be good investments for the state, much like the rationale for funding the med school. Neither dentistry or optometry can be found in ND and both are in demand. One has to go to Oregon, Indiana, or Texas for the closest optometry school. There's an argument that a PhD in Public Health is also needed.

The UAV program needs academic disciplines that match the need: EE, ME, robotics, industrial tech need PhD programs to support its development. The Bakken is crying out for a Geophysics PhD program: there is a great need.

• Upvote 1

PRIORITIES. Not only did they spend all this money on something that doesn't address the major issues in the area, they also took construction companies off of more important and time-sensitive projects. And then they complain to the legislature saying they don't have any money for infrastructure (real infrastructure, not a water park), schools, human services, hospitals, etc.

First of all, this was Williston, not the entire region. What about other areas in western North Dakota? Should they be thrown under the bus because of something Williston did? I say no. But I imagine the almighty moral supremacists in Bismarck will do just that. After all, Al Carlson usually gets his way. ???

Second of all, this is something the people of Williston obviously wanted. When a community triples in size, you will get demands for additional amenities from the people that now live there. Not all oil workers came here alone; some of them brought their families with them. If Williston had refused to consider it and/or refused to put it on the ballot, then the people probably would have voted them out of office and elected people that would do what they wanted. Or maybe Williston should just sell off all their public parks and whatever other recreation assets they have to prove to the almighty moral supremacists in Bismarck that they have the right PRIORITIES and that they are frugal and prudent? :silly:

Thirdly, what is "more important and time-sensitive" is in the eye of the beholder. Everything in North Dakota shouldn't always revolve around what the Harold Hamm's of the world want. This is our state, not theirs, they are just guests here. And if that sounds too parochial for some people, too bad. I am so sick of our "leaders" in Bismarck selling out North Dakota to the likes of Hamm and Walmart. :angry:

And lastly, even if they hadn't built this thing, they would still need help from Bismarck. I would rather Williston get that money then the good folks of Bentonville, AR.

But what do I know? All I've done is live in North Dakota for the past 37 years. That really doesn't count for much anymore, does it? :sad:

Watford City is also looking at a $56 mill event and fitness center. Watford could be bigger than Jamestown at the end of the decade, so there is a lot of "catching" up to do.

http://www.prairiebi...p/Construction/

http://watfordcitynd...?id=10&nid=2659

What Watford is planning to do is really no different than what Fargo did with the Fargodome or Grand Forks with the Alerus Center. But the 1% sales tax is really a tax of the oil companies, as the tax of Williston or Watford City raises little money from local citizens.

Watford City and Williston need to make hay while the sun shines. So does UND.