SiouxSports.com Forum

This Week's WCHA Rookie of the Week...

Wilbur

I know its a little early to be getting into the WCHA Rookie of the week, but with the way that he played this weekend, Jordan Parise should win the award hands down. Maybe even WCHA defensive player of the week? :)

Parise's stats for the weekend

2 GA

55 Saves

Save percentage: 96%

Super human glove saves: 3 (I added that one to his stats) ;)

Without him the Sioux would of lost tonight. Any thoughts??

He really hasn't been giving me too many panic attacks lately. I think he has really learned when he can come out and play the puck and what times are best to do that.

And he has able to learn that standing behind a temendous offense and defence as well, which really really helps. I don't know where I read this, but Jordan apparently has played more time at forward or defence than any of hte other goaltenders on the Sioux, so it appears to me those stylings (plus his younger brother's influence no doubt) has made him a little more "courageous" with the puck.

Nowadays, a good goalie who has excellent stick handling skills is a valuable asset to have. For those who want to know what happens when you only even have half of the ability look to Curtis Joseph last season in the playoffs. Poor stick handling cost him several goals against him. Then again, what do you expect from an ex-Badger. :)

From PCM's recap last night on USCHO:

"Jordan Parise was terrific down the stretch for them. In my mind, he was their best player tonight," said Denver coach George Gwozdecky.
In Parise's last four starts, he's given up only four goals and has a .965 save percentage. Sioux coach Dean Blais said he decided to start Parise over junior Jake Brandt for both games of the series because of how well the freshman was seeing the puck during practice.

"I feel that I'm moving pretty well and that gets me into good position," Parise said. "So whether I'm seeing the puck or not seeing the puck, I'm in a good enough position that the puck is hitting me."

Add to that a quick glove hand, above-average size, good on breakaways & an apparent self-confidence in his abilities & it's obvious Blais made a good decision in recruiting him.