SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Western Michigan - Saturday

AZSIOUX

How did Thompson look last night?

Looked good to me early, but I think most, including myself, left the webcast half way through the first period since it simply didn't stream. Sounded like all the D, inc. Mattson, were fairly good.

How did Thompson look last night?

For the most part good, but he had a major oops late in the game that could have cost the victory. He made a cross ice pass across the front of the net and passed it directly to a Broncos player camped right in front of Gothberg. Thankfully Gothberg made the save, but I am sure he has already heard about that one from the coaching staff (and Gothberg).

Since TH was confused as I am, when Panz got a double minor, 2 Broncs got minors, all at the same time, how do the referees decide that those combined penalties warrant a 5 on 5 for 2 minutes, then all three (inc. Panz) are back out. Checked the box score, TH was correct in the penalties called? ???? ???? ????

SOmebody must've been lobbying...you just can't do it the way they did it. What if there was another penalty? There is a huge difference between a 5-3 or a 4-3 PP and a normal 5-4 PP. It just illustrates that the refs were calling it to make it "even"

SOmebody must've been lobbying...you just can't do it the way they did it. What if there was another penalty? There is a huge difference between a 5-3 or a 4-3 PP and a normal 5-4 PP. It just illustrates that the refs were calling it to make it "even"

totally threw out the rule book and brought the Don Adam "make sh*t up as I go" rule into the game

We did have 40 shots attempted....problem is they attempted 51.

Shots attempted from high quality opportunities? Hard to discern from a shot chart...was a shot from the point a pseudo-dump by a forward going off on a line change or was it a well-screened one timer on the pp...shot chart doesn't show that

totally threw out the rule book and brought the Don Adam "make sh*t up as I go" rule into the game

It should've been a 5-4 UND pp for 2 minutes, then a 5-4 WMU pp for 2 minutes with Panz in the box for all 4 minutes.

IS there still a 3rd man in penalty? Or am I dating myself- timewise, not romantically

Shots attempted from high quality opportunities? Hard to discern from a shot chart...was a shot from the point a pseudo-dump by a forward going off on a line change or was it a well-screened one timer on the pp...shot chart doesn't show that

Ha...I'm just giving you the facts....you can interpret them however you want :)

Since TH was confused as I am, when Panz got a double minor, 2 Broncs got minors, all at the same time, how do the referees decide that those combined penalties warrant a 5 on 5 for 2 minutes, then all three (inc. Panz) are back out. Checked the box score, TH was correct in the penalties called? ???? ???? ????

I didn't see the game....But this is how it should have went. All penalty time cancels each other. Play is 5on5. First whistle after 2minutes, both WMU players get out. Panz serves full four minutes and gets out first whistle after his four minutes are up.

I didn't see the game....But this is how it should have went. All penalty time cancels each other. Play is 5on5. First whistle after 2minutes, both WVU players get out. Panz serves full four minutes and gets out first whistle after his four minutes are up.

waiting for whistles to get out of the penalty box???

Also, you have to consider what I wrote- what about an ensuing penalty? All PIMs might equal out, but when applied to different players, you have to penalize each player according to his "sentence".

We all understand that, the problems last night were not the camera, it was the skipping/buffering/permanent freezeups that WMU/Neulion delivered. Simply awful

That is what happened with a lot of webcasts last year. CC, ND, MTU, UNO, et. al. were like that all the time. It is not like this was anything new. Webcasts from UND are good.
  • Upvote 1

It should've been a 5-4 UND pp for 2 minutes, then a 5-4 WMU pp for 2 minutes with Panz in the box for all 4 minutes.

IS there still a 3rd man in penalty? Or am I dating myself- timewise, not romantically

This comes close to what I think, although I'd agree with the TH version, 4 on 3 UND pp for 2 minutes, both WMU players get out (on the fly, not at a whistle), then 5 on 4 WMU PP while Panz serves his second 2. No waiting for whistles to let anyone out.

I don't think there were coincidental involved, as that might change things, but I can't figure any scenario where the referees got this right.

That is what happened with a lot of webcasts last year. CC, ND, MTU, UNO, et. al. were like that all the time. It is not like this was anything new. Webcasts from UND are good.

You don't understand there, Smokey. Yes, the UND webcast cameras (HD) are much better this year, and those older SD cams still in use in places like WMU are not as good. But WMU did not have the bandwidth pipeline to deliver this to so many UNDInsiders logging on (or neulion didn't make the bandwidth available), thus, the product simply didn't stream. I don't know if the streaming problem was WMU's, Neulions, or both. The streaming problem had absolutely nothing to do with the cameras (other than SD cameras should stream better, given the lesser amounts of data being pushed through the pipeline)

You don't understand there, Smokey. Yes, the UND webcast cameras (HD) are much better this year, and those older SD cams still in use in places like WMU are not as good. But WMU did not have the bandwidth pipeline to deliver this to so many UNDInsiders logging on (or neulion didn't make the bandwidth available), thus, the product simply didn't stream. I don't know if the streaming problem was WMU's, Neulions, or both. The streaming problem had absolutely nothing to do with the cameras (other than SD cameras should stream better, given the lesser amounts of data being pushed through the pipeline)

You don't seem to understand that this was nothing new. The other schools I listed were the same way. You are acting like this was somehow different than the past. When it is just like the past. The cameras are not going to give a good signal/picture to start with. Then everything else just goes down hill from there.

You don't seem to understand that this was nothing new. The other schools I listed were the same way. You are acting like this was somehow different than the past. When it is just like the past. The cameras are not going to give a good signal/picture to start with. Then everything else just goes down hill from there.

smokey, i think it's you that doesn't understand bandwidth and streams. The quality of the video (which was not that bad for SD) had nothing to do with the inability to stream. Those poor quality streams with SD cameras, failed white balance, and so on, still streamed perfectly, the quality was just poor. This one didn't stream at all, and those that normally can watch midcosn on cable for home games, paid to watch this road game, and will no doubt get a refund if they ask for it.

While the quality was not new, the inability to stream was new (verstehen sie?).

• Upvote 1

smokey, i think it's you that doesn't understand bandwidth and streams. The quality of the video (which was not that bad for SD) had nothing to do with the inability to stream. Those poor quality streams with SD cameras, failed white balance, and so on, still streamed perfectly, the quality was just poor. This one didn't stream at all, and those that normally can watch midcosn on cable for home games, paid to watch this road game, and will no doubt get a refund if they ask for it.

While the quality was not new, the inability to stream was new (verstehen sie?).

No it is not. The schools I listed watching the games shown last year had the same problem all the time. How many streams did you watch last season?

This comes close to what I think, although I'd agree with the TH version, 4 on 3 UND pp for 2 minutes, both WMU players get out (on the fly, not at a whistle), then 5 on 4 WMU PP while Panz serves his second 2. No waiting for whistles to let anyone out.

I don't think there were coincidental involved, as that might change things, but I can't figure any scenario where the referees got this right.

The only thing they got wrong....if they really did let Panz out after two minutes, is not having him serve his full four minutes.

None other than some road games on america one, some of which were poor quality, but streamed well. Neulion streams, I think, would be none. Had no idea all these other schools streams on neulion have always streamed poorly. The camera quality is understandable, the streaming, is not. Sioux home games I watched FTA, quality was not as good as prior to midco, but better than what was delivered on directtv fcs. I don't think I ever paid for a day, or a week on a neulion stream to watch a road game.