SiouxSports.com Forum

NCC at 7 schools for how long?

star2city

Info from this article, Tommies disavow interest in NCC, effectively eliminates St. Thomas as a potential NCC candidate. Last week's vote allowing Colorado College (among others) to continue to compete in Div I hockey eliminated CC as a candidate.

The three remaining most logical candidates, Concordia-St. Paul, Winona St., and Nebraska-Kearney, are all at least several years from a move. With only seven teams, the six conference FB and 12 confernce BB games next year become even more important.

Info from this article, Tommies disavow interest in NCC, effectively eliminates St. Thomas as a potential NCC candidate. Last week's vote allowing Colorado College (among others) to continue to compete in Div I hockey eliminated CC as a candidate.

The three remaining most logical candidates, Concordia-St. Paul, Winona St., and Nebraska-Kearney, are all at least several years from a move. With only seven teams, the six conference FB and 12 confernce BB games next year become even more important.

Northern St. and Mary are two schools mentioned by the former NCC commisioner (name?) on radio during halftime of the SDSU-UND football game

In NCC looking for right fit, Mike Marcil indicated that the NCC isn't actively courting any new members and won't add an inappropriate member just to move from 7.

The interesting news was:

Marcil, however, said the NCC is working with four western independent schools to help alleviate the scheduling concern.

Central Washington, Western Washington, Western Oregon and Humboldt State of California are independents that will be in the same Division II football region as the NCC beginning next season.

"Many of our schools will start home-and-home games with those schools," Marcil said.

He also quashd the ridiculous rumor:

"Some people talk about whether the NCC and NSIC should merge," Marcil said. "But in Division II, a superconference doesn't make much sense. You end up having twice as many teams competing for half as many qualifying positions.

"We certainly want to keep the Northern Sun strong and I know it's in the best interest for the Northern Sun to keep the NCC strong."

No jab.....just a statement of fact. Obviously you folks are a little myopic if you can't admit the huge issues facing the NCC.

You made no statement of fact, you offered an opinion. And then you fail to list even a single "huge issue" - so where's the dialogue? Plus, your sig line taunt makes you less than credible, at least in my mind.

My opinion is that with 7 members, the NCC is fine. The member schools are going to have some difficulties in scheduling but I believe that the NCC is doing a great job in their approach to this. Encourage the scheduling of of the 4 indies in football. In basketball, I believe you will see much more interplay between the NCC and NSIC.

The membership appears to be set for the short term. I had feared that UNO would bolt to the MIAA if both NDSU and SDSU left but that does not appear to be the case. Nevertheless, the conference has little margin for error with its current membership as you are correct in that there aren't any worthy substitutes in the area.

Stop the whining. Your posts on this board have been NOTHING about "having a dialogue" with Sioux fans. You continuously post on other sites that "UND has tried to block the move to DI by NDSU from the beginning" without providing any shred of proof. You state that UND coaches and administration are "a$$holes". You rip and rip on UND, hoping that they get throttled in this year's playoffs, then come on here with congratulations. You post repeatedly that "NDSU doesn't need UND." The majority of your posts on here are definitely jabs at the Sioux.

And you expect UND fans to have a dialogue with you? :)

wyidiot....stay on the bison board where you guys ban all other fans.....dont come on here......moderator please ban him....like bisonville.com bans anyone who doesnt have a bison mentality, or mental?:) wyot is either onto something or on something....one of the two....how are those home games coming for football next year...oh yeah your gonna play all the big time 1AA schools....NOT.....they dont care if they play you either, just like UND doesnt care.....take your 80's trophies and go away......na na na na hey hey hey good bye......

wyidiot....stay on the bison board where you guys ban all other fans.....dont come on here......moderator please ban him....like bisonville.com bans anyone who doesnt have a bison mentality, or mental?:glare: wyot is either onto something or on something....one of the two....how are those home games coming for football next year...oh yeah your gonna play all the big time 1AA schools....NOT.....they dont care if they play you either, just like UND doesnt care.....take your 80's trophies and go away......na na na na hey hey hey good bye......

sour grapes :) , we really do miss you as you added a lot of insight to the board

The statement of fact was that the NCC is loosing two high quality programs and there is not much on the horizon to replace them. Schools like the University of Mary would be a slap in the face to a program that is the clibre of UND. My point was that there really is nothing out there that can replace the Bison or the Jacks, so the future of the NCC is really in question. Serious question the likes of which has never been seen. A conference of 7 would seem to me to be a bit marginal. It surprises me that the posters on this board would not see these very obvious difficulties ahead...what are the options to salvage the NCC long term? What can be done to replace the loss of NDSU and SDSU with similar quality programs? All legit issues for a sports board. I guess if you guys would rather smack that have a discussion about it on this thread...makes no difference to me...

The statement of fact was that the NCC is loosing two high quality programs and there is not much on the horizon to replace them. Schools like the University of Mary would be a slap in the face to a program that is the clibre of UND. My point was that there really is nothing out there that can replace the Bison or the Jacks, so the future of the NCC is really in question. Serious question the likes of which has never been seen. A conference of 7 would seem to me to be a bit marginal. It surprises me that the posters on this board would not see these very obvious difficulties ahead...what are the options to salvage the NCC long term? What can be done to replace the loss of NDSU and SDSU with similar quality programs? All legit issues for a sports board. I guess if you guys would rather smack that have a discussion about it on this thread...makes no difference to me...

you think you know what is best for not only NDSU, but also you think you know everything that is going on at UND.

You can question the future of NCC, that is not a problem. but why take a shot at us at the end of your post, no need for that at all.

You are the ones talking smack on this thread, not me.....I have yet to hear what any of you think about the specifics of the NCC future.

The only school that would be a quality addition to the NCC in the future I can see would be MSU-Billings if they ever add football. MSU-Billings is a good sized school that is in a large community that could raise some cash to support a quality D2 program. the only other option would be to try and raid the NSIC and get a school like WSU to upgrade thier scholarship level (not likely).

not whining at all

I think NDSU was sick of UND getting all of the sports attention from across the country and they were sick of playing second fiddle to UND's hockey team and their facility. They decided it was in their best interests to move up to D1.

With the move, they now put some of their long standing relationships in jeopardy. They are the ones moving and it was their decision to leave the NCC and D2. UND did not move, and even if you don't agree with UND staying at the D2 level, it does not make sense to blame UND for the rivalry ending.

I'm still on the fence on the issue of UND moving up to D1. I'm not sure D2 is going down the road, where all of us would like them to go, but I really don't think moving to D1 is the ultimate answer either. Will NDSU be competitive in football in a couple years? no doubt, they have a great tradition, faithful fan following, and very nice facilities.

How about basketball? They might make the big dance once every 50 years, not sure if making the field of 64 and then getting beat by 50 against Duke in the first round is really the answer either.

just my thoughts and feelings on the issue

There will be no way to replace NDSU for football. However, adding Winona would be an acceptable replacement for SDSU from a football aspect, in fact it is a real improvement as SDSU hovers has hovered right around .500 for some 30 or so years now. Also, the NCC lost Morningside a couple of years back, and overall I think Winona would be an upgrade over them, especially in football, however Morningside usually fielded a pretty good basketball team.

Back in the 80's when I was at NDSU I remember Morningside being very tough in BB, but they have never been a factor in football. No doubt Winona would be an upgrade over Morningside. I still think the idea that MSU-Billings would be a possibility is very interesting. It would turn the conference to the west and would probably increase the interest of the western part of North Dakota in NCC athletics. However, MSU-Billings would have to add football to make this go....

MSU-Billings? Are you joking? I've never heard that MSU-Billings has considered football, even as a pipe dream. It's a mid-size commuter school that has a small athletic department. Yes, they've had D-II basketball success but that's about it. They field 12 sports (5 M, 7W) or 14 if you include co-ed cheerleading. Their alumni base is small and scattered so they would have considerable trouble raising money to fund scholarships. In the Montana university pecking order, they are down the list. Even if they had football, they would be a questionable fit in the NSIC, let alone the NCC. The University of Mary would be a much better replacement than MSU-Billings.

You seem to want to enter into a serious discussion but you are starting with the premise that the NCC is in trouble right now and needs new members. I disagree - a 7 member conference can work and until another regional steps up and looks to build an athletic department comparable to what the NCC schools have, there is no reason to expand. SDSU & NDSU can't be replaced, so why rush out and add just anyone only for the sake of having more than 7 teams? Convince me why 7 teams won't work - something more than "seems to be a bit marginal".

All that changes if another NCC member leaves but there is no sense debating that though as there is nothing to indicate any other conference member leaving.

Concordia St. Paul? Wow, have times changed. Some may want them? Winona State would be good. People look at football and base their opinions just on one sport.

I believe the two leagues will merge. 9 NSIC and 7 NCC. Crookston I heard may be out as a D2. That makes 15 schools. Not great, maybe add one more to make 16?

Beside football, which they say will improve will a new coach and hopefully new field coming in, SW Minnesota State in the NCC? Good basketball, volleyball, baseball, golf and has wrestling.

Who knows. Of course everyone around Marshall hears that UND will go D1 someday anyways. Will that happen in you opinion?