SiouxSports.com Forum

Title Game

jk

I know sprig, reasonable is not a good way to explain me either. After the NCAA title game was over I later informed my wife that now I can concentrat on Golf, the NHL playoffs and going to the races on Friday nights. That sentence got me a roll of the eyes from my wife, 35 going on 18.

My wife says I break down my life into seasons. Let me see there football season, and then there is hunting season, which means lots of duck feathers laying out in the yard (there are still some there from last October), finished off by college and NHL hockey season. When the winter/spring ends then there is Golf season and racing season.

On my car there should be a bumper sticker that says my wife says that if I go to another hockey game she is going to leave me. God I am going to miss her.    :)

You guys are really making me feel old.

When I was your age I was ....

Well I spent way too much time in hockey rinks with the youngsters for practise & games. Seems like about 7 days a week.

God do I miss those times. Didn't think I would ever say that.

Homework got to be a real hassle, intereferred with the above activities.

You should be at the rinks working on the future Fighting Sioux stars.

I was at the games this past weekend wearing Sioux stuff on both Thursday (A Sioux Jersey) and Saturday (A Sioux pullover). I had a number of Minnesota fans give me grief which I expected. Asking me questions like "What was I doing there? or Are the Sioux still playing?". The one that I was asked 3-4 times was "Are you cheering for the Gophers?" My response was "Did you cheer for us last year?"

The look on the Gopher fans face was incredulous that I'd ask that and then it turned sheepish when they fully well knew they had not cheered for us. I then pointed out that it was tough to cheer for Minnesota when the entire crowd booed every WCHA teams jersey that was shown on the big screen.

Net result for me is that I hoped for a fun game (it was), I hoped Potulny did well (he did), and I didn't really care who won after that.

Now if the game would have been out east rather than in front of 18,000 Minnesota fans I'm guessing I would have been hollering for the Gophers.

At least Hockey East didn't win!

I didn't want hockey least to win.  I have a natural inclination NOT to cheer for the Gophers.

So I was already struggling on what to do.

Then getting some verbal abuse from Gopher fans on the way into the arena sealed the deal.  I was anti-gopher.  But then at the end of regulation that game was so good I just wanted it to keep on going and going and not end.

The closest I came to a comment like that was when some "fan" got bent when I told him I wouldn't take less than $500 for my lower bowl ticket Saturday night as I was going to the X.  I told him if he had so much faith in his team he would have gotten tickets in January when they were going for face.  :)  Stupid ...

I like it that the NDSU newspaper talks about college hockey.  Did anyone else notice a couple of NDSU shirts on TV when we played Minnesota in Mariucci for the Final Five.

http://www.ndsuspectrum.com/sports/s_sportsgeek.htm

My favorite quote: "Someone even had the audacity to wear a Sioux jersey to the Minnesota/Maine national championship game."

Whew, finally got back.  What a strange weekend.  For reasons I will refrain from boring you with, I didn't make the early game on Thursday but caught the Thursday nite and Championship games.  Had a great time.

My thoughts:

I love the Xcel Center but if that is the nicest NHL facility in the country, we are so f***ing spoiled.  Had a chance to walk all around the arena after the game Saturday nite (even snuck on to the suite level).  Even my hyper-critical eye had trouble seeing an area where the X has it over the REA, except that its bigger and has a restaurant on both the main floor and club level.

Maine played an outstanding hockey game.  The guys behind me (Mich State fans) told me the UNH-Maine game was not physical and that Maine would struggle against the west.  On Saturday nite they couldn't believe the difference in Maine's level of play.  They carried the play for a good portion of the game.  I thought the OT call was a penalty although I wouldn't have called it.  I saw Hauser's elbow work later from close range and am convinced the ref missed it.  That happens.

To my own surprise, I was very happy with the result.  Maybe it was Potulny scoring the GWG.  Maybe it was the fact that Leopold and Pohl have always been favorites of mine.  Maybe it was the fact that Lucia's Gophers are so very different from Woog's Gophers.  I went through a little of what some of you others did with Gopher fans but I decided I was going to be happy for the team and my Gopher friends, not the bandwagon fans.  And that's what I am (except for Hauser).  One of my best friends is a long time fan - I met up with him after the game and he was emotionally drained, almost crying.  He told me that it was like a big weight had been lifted, that he no longer had to cling to those tired "Pride on Ice" and "Tradition" arguments when defending the Gophs, knowing full well how ridiculous they are.  I suspect alot of fans felt the same way.  I know I did when UND final won a football title - I never have to bow my head to a Bison fan again.

I did not do the Rouser, I draw the line there.

My wife says I break down my life into seasons. Let me see there football season, and then there is hunting season, which means lots of duck feathers laying out in the yard (there are still some there from last October),

Ducktober is reasonable. So are duck feathers in the yard. Dog hauled a pheasant foot into the house last week from the yard. Wonder how that got there?? :)

I didn't any have problems when I wore my Sioux jersey on Thursday.  I got a couple "Where are the Sioux this year?" though.  Some fan even told me he had been looking forward to seeing us play at the FF again.  :)  Plus I received a bunch of "Go Sioux!" from Sioux fans.  I must have been lucky.  

I'm with diggerdan, though.  I did not do the rouser.  I heard it enough last weekend to make me puke.

We had a great time with some BU fans at Mancinni's before the champ game.  They said it took them a period and 1/2 to figure out what we were saying after spelling Minnesota.  One guy thought it was his favorite drink, "Khaluaer and soder"  I had to ask him if "Khaluer" is from "Cuber"  Personally, Kalua (sp?) and soda sound like a horrible drink.

Then some poor family was trying to celebrate a birthday.  After we helped sing Happy Birthday our table started the M-I-N-N-...  as the song ended.  Soon Nick was bring a cake to every table so we wouldn't stop.  :)

Ducktober is reasonable. So are duck feathers in the yard. Dog hauled a pheasant foot into the house last week from the yard. Wonder how that got there?? :)

Dogs seem to like things that the bader they smell the more attractive to dogs they become.

Ducktober, I love it. Hopefully Ducktober turns into Duck/deervember...