SiouxSports.com Forum

Cary Eades named USHL Coach of the Year

metalsioux07

Hi. New here so I didn't want to start a new thread for this.

There's some rumors going around Buffalo that Dave Hakstol might be assistant coach under Rolston for the Sabres.

Any news here? Would he be a good fit?

Ohhh Boy....way to start a fire storm on yur first post. And who thought the summer rumors would be boring?

There's some rumors going around Buffalo that Dave Hakstol might be assistant coach under Rolston for the Sabres.

Same rumor was floating around LSSU that Rouque(sp) was going to leave for Buffalo & the faithful couldn't get him out the door fast enough.

Hak probably is a better fit & his winning reputation would precede him.

I doubt he would leave but some around here would like to see it happen.

Maybe we could get Gwoz.

Same rumor was floating around LSSU that Rouque(sp) was going to leave for Buffalo & the faithful couldn't get him out the door fast enough.

Maybe we could get Gwoz.

Gwoz doesn't know his way around the REA that well.
  • Upvote 2

Maybe we could get Gwoz.

Gwoz doesn't know his way around the REA that well.

I was kidding by the way...I know I was getting bored by the lack of rumors/news...but not now.

Thanks guys. Rolston was giving a coaches clinic at UND recently. I think that's what spanned the rumors.

Thanks guys. Rolston was giving a coaches clinic at UND recently. I think that's what spanned the rumors.

I've heard that a lot of NHL people believe that Hak is one of the college coaches most qualified to move up to the NHL. I don't know if an assistant position at Buffalo would be the job that would get him to make the move. He may be careful after Blais' experiences in Columbus.

So, under the scenario of Hakstol leaving, who'd replace him?

At this point in time, I'd have to think the front-runners would be Berry, Eades, and ... recently resigned at UNO Steve Johnson. Maybe Bubs (Berry) moves up and Johnson come in as an assistant.

Hearing of Tim O'Keefe's impending retirement I guess I'm not surprised to hear even remote possibilities of Hakstol moving on. And the recent media articles about Hakstol's NHL potential to me are not coincidence. (Toss in Johnson's sudden resignation and my antennae are up.)

At this point in time, I'd have to think the front-runners would be Berry, Eades, and ... recently resigned at UNO Steve Johnson. Maybe Bubs (Berry) moves up and Johnson come in as an assistant.

Hearing of Tim O'Keefe's impending retirement I guess I'm not surprised to hear even remote possibilities of Hakstol moving on. And the recent media articles about Hakstol's NHL potential to me are not coincidence. (Toss in Johnson's sudden resignation and my antennae are up.)

What are you suggesting? It's not going to happen.

I have heard for a few years now that if the right opportunity presented itself, that he may be interested in moving on. I just have a hard time believing that being an assistant coach for a rebuilding Sabres squad is the right choice. He just recently signed a new contract and is still relatively young, I would expect him at UND for awhile yet unless someone offers him a deal he can't turn down.

Count me as one who thinks UND should seriously consider Gwoz should a replacement for Hakstol ever need replacing.

Would we have to start picking up players with unpronounceable, over-consonated last names?

Gwoz is too high-maintenance for me. I've named my front-runners if the need came about.

Eades will not be the guy even if he continues to have great success in the USHL. His departure didn't have much to do with his coaching ability. I think this is a moot point for a while though. I don't see Hak leaving any time soon.

• Upvote 1

Would we have to start picking up players with unpronounceable, over-consonated last names?

Gwoz is too high-maintenance for me. I've named my front-runners if the need came about.

I'm not saying Gwoz is my top choice, and I think there are guys with program ties who would be good candidates as well. But you can't argue with Gwoz's success and his teams always played hard, played for each other, and he seemed to find good goalies. I don't think you could discount him as a serious candidate.