SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Coaches Show

PCM

This is going to be a quickie because I have other stuff to get done. Please excuse any errors that slip through.

Disclaimer: This is a summary of the weekly Fighting Sioux Coaches how. It is NOT a verbatim transcript of the show. Comments by the show's hosts and the coaches are paraphrased to the best of the author's ability and are NOT direct quotes. This summary contains selected highlights from the show and is NOT a comprehensive account of all topics covered or discussed. This broadcast summary represents the interpretation of the author and is not associated in any manner with SiouxSports.com, the University of North Dakota or US College Hockey Online. This summary MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED without the written permission of the author.

Live from Lola's Authentic Northern Italian Restaurant in beautiful downtown Grand Forks. Tim Hennessy and Scott Swygman are the hosts with UND assistant coach Brad Berry.

Berry is filling in for Blais, who's on a bus with the team headed for Superior, Wisconsin. They'll be staying overnight there and driving to Houghton on Thursday. Berry will be scouting three USHL games this weekend.

Berry said the team had a good practice today before it left. They were passing the puck very well.

The trip to Houghon is not bad when you travel out over two days, but the Saturday night trip home is a killer. Tim talked about coming back once with the officials on the bus.

A caller asked how the Canadians at the WJC tournament had a goalie who plays for Pittsburgh in the NHL. Tim pointed out that some of the US players were also in the pros. Berry said they have eligibility standards that the players have to meet.

A caller asked for Berry's honest assesment of WCHA officiating. The caller said it seemed like the skill players take a lot of stick work and always have to play through obstruction.

Berry said there were a number of factors he couldn't comment on. Overall, it as to do with accountability. In the NHL and pro leagues, that

Edited by PCM

Any idea who they are looking at from the USHL?

Hennessy tried to get some of that information out of Berry, but he wasn't inclined to talk about it. He did way the he was going to a Lincoln Stars game and that Phil Lamoureux was the only USHL player currently committed to attending UND. That's about it.

Hennessy tried to get some of that information out of Berry, but he wasn't inclined to talk about it. He did way the he was going to a Lincoln Stars game and that Phil Lamoureux was the only USHL player currently committed to attending UND. That's about it.

I recall a comment earlier this season that UND was possibly looking at a European. I wonder if that is Spirko who is second in the USHL in scoring?

You guys don't remember Fruit Loops and Toucan Sam's slogan. "Just Follow your nose." I believe Melrose describes good hockey instincts as having a good "nose for the game."

I think my humor is far to abstract. I should just quote of Adam Sandler and Jim Carey. :glare: