SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 NCAA Athletic Departments Revenue

GFG

Here's a list of the top revenue producing athletic departments of 2012. Minnesota is much higher than I thought they would be, all the way at #23.

One that I found surprising, with all the hype surrounding NDSU's football fan base and such, is that UND's athletic department (#116) made about $2.5 million more than NDSU's (#127) did.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/

Here's a list of the top revenue producing athletic departments of 2012. Minnesota is much higher than I thought they would be, all the way at #23.

One that I found surprising, with all the hype surrounding NDSU's football fan base and such, is that UND's athletic department (#116) made about $2.5 million more than NDSU's (#127) did.

http://www.usatoday....hools/finances/

You realize that UND actually lost $683,453 compared to NDSU's $5,936 while being subsidized at a higher rate?

So people don't start taking these numbers and pointing out that the Big Sky is costing UND more money... these figures are for the period ending June 30, 2012. UND didn't officially become a member of the Big Sky until July 1, 2012.

So people don't start taking these numbers and pointing out that the Big Sky is costing UND more money... these figures are for the period ending June 30, 2012. UND didn't officially become a member of the Big Sky until July 1, 2012.

So traveling in the Great West to places like NJ and TX were costing UND money.

Honestly, who cares. Its a fluid process, year after year after year-no end in sight to judge the numbers. Next year UND could break even. Yippee!!

Enjoy the sports.

Exactly, for all we know UND had a $700K surplus from 2011 that was available to be spent down in 2012. Also, new uniforms and logo-free equipment for all sports isn't exactly cheap.

The Big Sky gives out a low six figure amount to each school on revenues from the NCAA, TV, and conference tournaments, but it does have a big revolving fund that UND has had to pay into to become a partner in the Big Sky (UND will get back minus any exit fee if it ever leaves). UND had to pay the Great West to continue to operate, as it had limited revenues from the NCAA. Any UND budget deficit could be largely due to paying into the revolving fund before official entry.