SiouxSports.com Forum

Boston Marathon Bombed

jodcon

Nothing to own. 9/11...ring a bell? And now this.

Let's agree to disagree. You think I'm a racist. I think you're a _______. We'll call it even.

So that dozen or 2 people represent all Muslims? They belong to the radical extremist group of Muslims. Not all Muslims hate America. There are similar extremist groups in other religions, and in other colors. How about the white supremacist groups? The Westboro Baptist Church? They don't represent all Christians any more than the 9/11 terrorists or these idiot brothers represent all Muslims. If you can't see that you have some serious problems.
  • Upvote 1

So that dozen or 2 people represent all Muslims? They belong to the radical extremist group of Muslims. Not all Muslims hate America. There are similar extremist groups in other religions, and in other colors. How about the white supremacist groups? The Westboro Baptist Church? They don't represent all Christians any more than the 9/11 terrorists or these idiot brothers represent all Muslims. If you can't see that you have some serious problems.

The Westboro Baptist Church has exactly 40 members. I continue to be amazed at how much media coverage this bunch of looney toons continues to get...

The Westboro Baptist Church has exactly 40 members. I continue to be amazed at how much media coverage this bunch of looney toons continues to get...

And most of their members seem to be related. I don't know why people don't just ignore them.

Never stated these terroristic events represent all Muslims. People are human, not robots. But people have a right to be angry and upset about what has transpired over the last 5 days. It is being reported that the 2 had ties to radical Islam and also reported no one associated to them saw this coming from them. With the growing Muslim population in this country, my point was that if people look at Muslims and their religion with a little more caution and concern, so be it. People are human.

BTW, Sioux-cia made reference in posts awhile back she is starting to feel less comfortable and safe in large crowds. Why??? That's a normal response and frankly understandable. But again, why?

And most of their members seem to be related. I don't know why people don't just ignore them.

Exactly my point. The leader threatens to burn a Koran and our news media goes nuts with 24/7 reporting of it...and our embassies are looted all over the Middle East. But the Black Widows take over a movie theatre in Chechnya and hundreds of innocent civilians are killed all in the name of Islam...and our news media can't be bothered with the story because we're too busy following Kim Kardashian's divorce or Jessica Simpson's pregnancy weight gain?

I'm curious what you mean by this...

You seem to bring up the 'left' and the 'left media' quite often in discussions as if proving or disproving something someone posted. I was not quoting nor did I mention any media statement yet you referenced them in response to one of my posts. I post MY opinions based on information or lack of information I glean from many different sources. I don't reference the right or the left yet it seems to me, and, maybe I'm wrong, you do.

It is being reported that the 2 had ties to radical Islam and reported no one saw this coming from them.

Love those comments today too. People apparently expect characters dressed like Aladdin shouting 'death to America' are the ones to be on the look-out for. Seemingly nobody suspected these two brothers at all...isn't that the PERFECT terrorist?

• Upvote 1

You seem to bring up the 'left' and the 'left media' quite often in discussions as if proving or disproving something someone posted. I was not quoting nor did I mention any media statement yet you referenced them in response to to my post. I post MY opinions based on information or lack of information I glean from many different sources. I don't reference the right or the left yet it seems to me, and, maybe I'm wrong, you do.

I spend as much time on Current, MSNBC, CNN, and The Daily Kos as I do on Fox News. How many people do you know who get their daily news from Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert? i know several. You can't honestly tell me that you view Rachel Maddow or Chris O'Donnell as 'mainstream' and 'independent' journalists, can you?

BTW, Sioux-cia made reference in posts awhile back she is starting to feel less comfortable and safe in large crowds. Why??? That's a normal response and frankly understandable. But again, why?

Why? Because of the number of violent acts that have happened in this country. The majority, I may add, from non Muslims. I would feel so much safer if I could look at someone, say a Muslim, and know they are the only group that is capable of terroristic acts but that's not a reality. The crazies come in all colors, religious groups, etc. When you or anyone else states that we need to be suspect of a specific group of people because of what one or a few have done, that can and does result in violence against the innocents in that population. Makes us no better than the crazies who commit these acts of violence.

The crazies come in all colors, religious groups, etc.

...because the Knights of Columbus, the Mormons, and Lutheran Brotherhood are out to destroy Islam, right? And please, don't throw out the stupid Westboro Church example...

I spend as much time on Current, MSNBC, CNN, and The Daily Kos as I do on Fox News. How many people do you know who get their daily news from Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert? i know several. You can't honestly tell me that you view Rachel Maddow or Chris O'Donnell as 'mainstream' and 'independent' journalists, can you?

I have never watched/listened to Chris O'Donnell and have watched Rachel Maddow once for sure, maybe twice. As for Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, aren't they comics/satirists? I'm not drawn to news 'talk shows'?

Let me ask you this, why do you classify so much as left or right? Why can't my opinion be Jo's opinion?

I have never watched/listened to Chris O'Donnell and have watched Rachel Maddow once for sure, maybe twice. As for Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, aren't they comics/satirists? I'm not drawn to news 'talk shows'?

Let me ask you this, why do you classify so much as left or right? Why can't my opinion be Jo's opinion?

Yea, Stewart and Colbert are supposed comics...and yet something like 50% of people under the age of 25 consider them their primary source of 'news.' Pathetic.

Your opinion is yours. That's never been in dispute.

While were at each other's throats, the radical Islamic terrorists, that hate us and our way of life, are planning their next attack against us. Some of them are home grown and some of them are not. Some of them will come here legally on a visa. I can assure you this, some of them are here and already live among us. This is a fact. I can also assure you that they would kill Michael Moore and Chris Mathews as well. It's also been confirmed that Al Qaeda, Al Shabaab and Hezbollah have come across the south border of the USA. [click to view] and [click to view] and [click to view]... Also, that's not to say that they're the only one's.... There are other terrorist groups like the Weather Under ground, you know our president's buddies Bill Ayers, Bernardine Dohrn, but also Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nicholas that pose a threat as well. We must be on alert at all times.

Edited by Goon

Are you insinuating that these are anti-Islamic killings?

Have you ventured into politics? Your twist on my post is pretty classic.

I do not feel safe in some venues because I cannot identify the crazies. They come in all colors and belong to different religious group YOU twisted it to imply I was speaking only of people who hate Islam. I posted the list of mass murderers as a way to point out not all mass murderers in this country are Muslims or easily identified before hand.

Got it? Or do you want to continue to ridicule me and entertain the right wingers/left wingers/racists who hang onto your every word?

Have you ventured into politics? Your twist on my post is pretty classic.

I do not feel safe in some venues because I cannot identify the crazies. They come in all colors and belong to different religious group YOU twisted it to imply I was speaking only of people who hate Islam. I posted the list of mass murderers as a way to point out not all mass murderers in this country are Muslims or easily identified before hand.

Got it? Or do you want to continue to ridicule me and entertain the right wingers/left wingers/racists who hang onto your every word?

No, I was asking an honest question...I did not know what you were inferring. Now I do...and I tend to agree with you on that list...but thanks for ridiculing ME in the process of explaining your point.

Exactly my point. The leader threatens to burn a Koran and our news media goes nuts with 24/7 reporting of it...and our embassies are looted all over the Middle East. But the Black Widows take over a movie theatre in Chechnya and hundreds of innocent civilians are killed all in the name of Islam...and our news media can't be bothered with the story because we're too busy following Kim Kardashian's divorce or Jessica Simpson's pregnancy weight gain?

A lot of people don't care about what happens to people in other countries. The news media is covering the things they know will get ratings. That includes celebrities, natural disasters (mainly in this country), shocking crimes (again mainly in this country), etc. The media has become just another business, driven by the bottom line.

People have this image that the media is supposed to be a neutral, and impartial force. It never has been, at least not as a whole. If you look back in history you will see that a lot of cities had multiple newspapers, and they often were very biased to represent opposing viewpoints. There would be liberal newspapers and conservative newspapers and special interest newspapers all serving Grand Forks, or Fargo or New York City. And they were even less concerned with telling the actual truth, often printing whatever they wanted so they could try and sway the public. They were often much worse than today's media. People have to learn to get information from multiple sources, learn who they can trust and who they can't, learn not to believe everything they hear, even from the sources they think represent their views, and learn to think for themselves. If isn't going to happen for most people, but that is what they should do.

I would expect that kind of comment back out of passit_offthegoalie...not you.

Really?

I post my opinions and know they are not those of the majority. I get responses that are insulting and after a few I respond in like fashion. Tomorrow I'll be less ' passit_offthegoalie' whoever the heck that is.

A lot of people don't care about what happens to people in other countries. The news media is covering the things they know will get ratings. That includes celebrities, natural disasters (mainly in this country), shocking crimes (again mainly in this country), etc. The media has become just another business, driven by the bottom line.

People have this image that the media is supposed to be a neutral, and impartial force. It never has been, at least not as a whole. If you look back in history you will see that a lot of cities had multiple newspapers, and they often were very biased to represent opposing viewpoints. There would be liberal newspapers and conservative newspapers and special interest newspapers all serving Grand Forks, or Fargo or New York City. And they were even less concerned with telling the actual truth, often printing whatever they wanted so they could try and sway the public. They were often much worse than today's media. People have to learn to get information from multiple sources, learn who they can trust and who they can't, learn not to believe everything they hear, even from the sources they think represent their views, and learn to think for themselves. If isn't going to happen for most people, but that is what they should do.

Yep, yep, yep....

Never stated these terroristic events represent all Muslims. People are human, not robots. But people have a right to be angry and upset about what has transpired over the last 5 days. It is being reported that the 2 had ties to radical Islam and also reported no one associated to them saw this coming from them. With the growing Muslim population in this country, my point was that if people look at Muslims and their religion with a little more caution and concern, so be it. People are human.

The statement that Sioux-cia keeps referring to, 'If this makes people take a different look at the Muslim community as a whole in this country...well so be it.', paints with a very wide brush. Be mad at the people that did this. Be mad at the group they actually belong to and follow, if that group contributed to the action. But don't hate an entire religion because of the actions of a minority. That starts bordering on the reactions of another country about 70 or 80 years ago. You said that "it is being reported that the 2 had ties to radical Islam". We have seen the accuracy of many reports this week. People should have learned not to jump to conclusions based on "some reports". And even if the reports are accurate, that isn't a good reason to hate all people that follow the Muslim faith.

A lot of people are uncomfortable in large crowds, and are getting more so. There are a lot of bad people on this planet. That's a fact of life. It would be nice if they all wore signs so we knew who the bad guys were. That ain't happening. We have people doing the best they can to control all of the threats. Overall they've done a pretty good job. People have to be vigilant about their surroundings to avoid bad situations when they can. But we can't live in fear. We have to go ahead with our lives as close to normal as we can. Other countries do it under much worse conditions. The bombs in Boston on Monday happen every day in some countries. (As Mafiaman pointed out, most Americans don't notice or care about those.) Something is going to happen in this country again. But the odds of it happening to any individual are pretty slim.