SiouxSports.com Forum

Next Year

SiouxFan4Life

I wonder with all the coaching changes that have gone on, what changes will be made in the starting line-ups. I am going to put time into this thinking and Im interested to see what people think as well. Offensively I see the biggest spots open on offensive line and recievers. Defensively we have a lot that I could see changes at. ANy input is appreciated

I guess Ill be the first to start. Offensively, I could see a few situations. Running back spot I assume would be Wistoff and Rohland with Strouth and Christenson on deck. At reciever it looks to be Ranson, Johnson, and Grossman with Groeschol and Presthus being the first subs in. As far as the O-Line is concerned I dont know. Will Hendrickson be the center with Kuper, and Barry at Gaurds. THat leaves Hoffelt and Buisker at tackles. I dont know maybe Bonnett and Bronson will try to compete. At quarterback I guess John gets the nod, lets just hope he continues to improve. Does anyone see any other possibilities?

Based upon an article in the Herald a few weeks after the season ended, I'd say Braegelmann might be in the mix in the offensive line, also. In that article, it listed as offensive newcomers to watch Braegelmann, Bauer and Andy White (was an olb/de coming out of high school so apparently he changed positions) on the line, Presthus, Weber and Ott at receiver (no mention of Ranson--I hope he'll be a factor, also) and Drew Thomas at tight end.

It should be a battle for the backup quarterback postion, with Belmore, Manke and possibly Groeschl if he doesn't stay at receiver being in the mix. Somebody had mentioned that Carney may be back also, but I haven't heard any confirmation of that.

It will definitely be interesting to see how the receiver position shakes out. Johnson and Grossman would seem to have the inside track for two of the top four spots. Weber, Ranson, Presthus, Ott, Van Dyke and Loegering will all potentially be in the mix, also. I am anxious to see Presthus play as I understand he has great hands and at 6'4", he'll be a tough matchup for most db's.

Based upon an article in the Herald a few weeks after the season ended, I'd say Braegelmann might be in the mix in the offensive line, also. In that article, it listed as offensive newcomers to watch Braegelmann, Bauer and Andy White (was an olb/de coming out of high school so apparently he changed positions) on the line, Presthus, Weber and Ott at receiver (no mention of Ranson--I hope he'll be a factor, also) and Drew Thomas at tight end.

It should be a battle for the backup quarterback postion, with Belmore, Manke and possibly Groeschl if he doesn't stay at receiver being in the mix. Somebody had mentioned that Carney may be back also, but I haven't heard any confirmation of that.

It will definitely be interesting to see how the receiver position shakes out. Johnson and Grossman would seem to have the inside track for two of the top four spots. Weber, Ranson, Presthus, Ott, Van Dyke and Loegering will all potentially be in the mix, also. I am anxious to see Presthus play as I understand he has great hands and at 6'4", he'll be a tough matchup for most db's.

UND 92,96

Shad Carney will be back for spring ball after a year at a community college in AZ. I understand that he has improved since he left, and could possibly challenge for the starting job, if not, for sure the backup job. Should make things interesting. I'm glad he came back, because he has potential. He gave the UND defense of 2001 fits in scouts everyday.

UND 92,96

Shad Carney will be back for spring ball after a year at a community college in AZ.  I understand that he has improved since he left, and could possibly challenge for the starting job, if not, for sure the backup job.  Should make things interesting.  I'm glad he came back, because he has potential.  He gave the UND defense of 2001 fits in scouts everyday.

That's interesting. I remember when he signed out of high school he was considered quite a catch for the Sioux. I think he was also voted offensive scout player of the year in 2001, but unfortunately he wasn't able to get any higher than about fourth on the depth chart during the 2002 season.

In regards to the GF Herald article that mentioned Andy White as an OL. Could he have meant Andy Soll? On the UND roster, White is listed as an OLB while Soll is listed as OL. Just a thought

That could be. White does have the big frame (6'6") that you typically like to see in an offensive lineman, but upon further review you're probably correct.

WEll looking to the defensive side:

At nosegaurd I obdviously see Shane Duscher coming off an honorable mention season will start, but I see Jordan Muro getting his share of snaps.

At the Ends Jason Peterson and Troy Newhouse will start and should provide more of a pass rush threat than last year (Momerack was but Smith just ate up space), and Adam Wolff and Gruchalla will push. Also I see Alex Cadwell getting a bit of time, though not much and I heard that they might move both olb recruits Richter and White to End as well.

At Inside Linebacker the lock is of course Digger Anderson, but I like Erich Halstenson as well, and I dont see a dramatic drop off. At weak inside I think Dan Ullspberger getting the nod over Jake Nordiq but again not much of a drop off, I just see Dan as one that makes big plays.

At Outside Linebacker Im confused. We saw two weakside linebackers start all season. With new coaching Im not sure how that will be effected. Dahlen is coming off of an all-conference season, and Hermes is a senior, and Brook Maier is a junior. But Steve Brennan (who had a hell of a national championship game) I think is a force, and I wouldnt be surprised to see him starting by the season time. Also Babingon-johnson had a very impressive freshman season, but also missed 2 games for behaviour. If he gets things squared away I could see him making a push as well.

In the secondary I see Brandstead finally starting and showing maybe he is the best safety on the team, but Danny Gagner has been phenominal all his career.

The corner situation is also interesing . Manke is a senior, and Hoffschneider is coming off of starting the whole season and having a up and down, but mostly productive year. But Jamaal Franklin is back and he has the size, and speed. Also Donovan Alexander will push for time, and Michael Greenwood.

Clearly are defense is in good hands, and will I think be the most dominant D in the country maybe in Sioux History!!

I agree. The D is absolutley loaded with talent. 19 of the top 22 back from last year with back-ups pushing starters all over the place. Tibesar must be looking forward to running the D big-time. Not many guys leave after next season either. Anderson, Gagner, Branstad, Dahlen, will be seniors. Ullsperger, Hoffschneider and Bab-John will be juniors. That group really could be one of the best Sioux D's ever. Is it next season yet?

WEll looking to the defensive side:

At nosegaurd I obdviously see Shane Duscher coming off an honorable mention season will start, but I see Jordan Muro getting his share of snaps.

At the Ends Jason Peterson and Troy Newhouse will start and should provide more of a pass rush threat than last year (Momerack was but Smith just ate up space), and Adam Wolff and Gruchalla will push. Also I see Alex Cadwell getting a bit of time, though not much and I heard that they might move both olb recruits Richter and White to End as well.

At Inside Linebacker the lock is of course Digger Anderson, but I like Erich Halstenson as well, and I dont see a dramatic drop off. At weak inside I think Dan Ullspberger getting the nod over Jake Nordiq but again not much of a drop off, I just see Dan as one that makes big plays.

At Outside Linebacker Im confused. We saw two weakside linebackers start all season. With new coaching Im not sure how that will be effected. Dahlen is coming off of an all-conference season, and Hermes is a senior, and Brook Maier is a junior. But Steve Brennan (who had a hell of a national championship game) I think is a force, and I wouldnt be surprised to see him starting by the season time. Also Babingon-johnson had a very impressive freshman season, but also missed 2 games for behaviour. If he gets things squared away I could see him making a push as well.

In the secondary I see Brandstead finally starting and showing maybe he is the best safety on the team, but Danny Gagner has been phenominal all his career.

The corner situation is also interesing . Manke is a senior, and Hoffschneider is coming off of starting the whole season and having a up and down, but mostly productive year. But Jamaal Franklin is back and he has the size, and speed. Also Donovan Alexander will push for time, and Michael Greenwood.

Clearly are defense is in good hands, and will I think be the most dominant D in the country maybe in Sioux History!!

Yeah they're pretty good for a D2 school.

1) Bisonfan, you are an ignoramous 2) That defense will be better than anything you'll put on the field over the next 3 years 3) We will be happy to kick your d1AA asses every year that beating you does not lower our play-off seed 4) Enjoy watching the Bison play their 11 completely meaningless games next year

First of all the sioux defense will be one of the better in d2 for sure. And I dont doubt the most exciting in the country. I see a lot of records that will be broken next year. I think Jamaal Franklin will hit the field with a vengance, after having to sit out for a season. I also see Adam WOlff having a big impact. He is a tremendous player and Im not sure if him not seeing the field, was totally a fault of his own. Watch out who ever we play

NDSU Grad - While I certainly hope that those predicting that our defense will be the best ever nwxt year, I agree with you that the '01 group would be awfully hard to top.

In certain games this last year, we gave up a lot of yards - and too many points. With most everyone back and some very talented redshirt freshmen joining the mix, we should be very good. One challenge is that we are quite undersized on the D-Line and LB position - I bet our average weight in those two areas was 20-25 pounds less than the average NCC team. Guys - I fully understand that Digger and Dahlen are outstanding LBs and we have good D linemen, but it sure would be nice if we had more size against some offenses. Not a complaint - just an observation.

One challenge is that we are quite undersized on the D-Line and LB position - I bet our average weight in those two areas was 20-25 pounds less than the average NCC team.  Guys - I fully understand that Digger and Dahlen are outstanding LBs and we have good D linemen, but it sure would be nice if we had more size against some offenses.  Not a complaint - just an observation.

While I would agree that the UND front seven is not particularly big, I don't think this year's roster was very accurate and thus, it might be a bit misleading. Cases in point: Shane Duchscher was listed at 237 in the "official" roster, and 260 in the media guide. Jason Peterson listed at 230 in the roster, and 257 in the media guide. Digger Anderson listed at 210 in the roster, and 222 in the media guide. Eric Halstenson listed at 210 in the roster, and 227 in the media guide. Tony Hermes listed at 200 in the roster, and 227 in the media guide. Brook Meier listed 210 in the roster, and 230 in the media guide. Jake Nordick listed at 210 in the roster, and 224 in the media guide. There are other examples as well, but you get the idea.

I believe that whomever was compiling the roster was using old information in many cases, and in some cases two and three year old information. Chris Kuper made reference to this fact in an article posted awhile back in the Anchorage newspaper about how he didn't have any idea why he was listed at 280 in the roster when he's actually closer to 315.

With all that having been said, I think the only guys who are significantly undersized for their position(s) are probably Dahlen, who probably isn't any more than about 200, and Babington-Johnson, who is probably about the same. But of course, Dahlen was all-NCC as a sophomore, and Bab-John has shown the ability to make plays, so their lack of bulk hasn't been and probably won't be a problem.

Great point. SIze usually matters the most on paper. And last year we were a bit inconsistent. But that was the first time a lot of these guys ever saw time, or saw time in such a considerable fashion. THis year they will be dominant. I look for huge increases in the games of Ullspberger, Hoffschneider and Babington-Johnson, I think they had some of the better seasons ever considering they were redshirts.

Not that it's any surprise since several posters had already shared this information, but the Herald confirmed today that both Ross Brennan and Carney are back:

In other Sioux developments, quarterback Shad Carney and defensive lineman Ross Brennan have rejoined the team. Carney played at a junior college last season while Brennan sat out the year. Brennan's younger brother, Steve, saw playing time at a linebacker position.

• 2 weeks later...

I see where UND freshman corner Donovan Alexander is also running track. At a meet this weekend in St. Cloud, he finished 2nd in the 60 meter dash, just .02 seconds behind Allen Burrell. I think he's going to add an element of speed that we haven't had in some time. Plus, he also has pretty good height for a corner at 6'0".

I see where UND freshman corner Donovan Alexander is also running track. At a meet this weekend in St. Cloud, he finished 2nd in the 60 meter dash, just .02 seconds behind Allen Burrell. I think he's going to add an element of speed that we haven't had in some time. Plus, he also has pretty good height for a corner at 6'0".

results of husky open can be viewed here

Have many Sioux football players have ran track in the past... obviously they have had some fast players but I don't remember seeing many in track results

results of husky open can be viewed here

Have many Sioux football players have ran track in the past... obviously they have had some fast players but I don't remember seeing many in track results

There have been some who have run for maybe one season, but since Norm McGee in the late 80's I don't recall one who really excelled. Mahmoud ran last year, but wasn't anywhere near as successful as he was in high school. It's very difficult for sprinters/hurdlers at UND because there just isn't a decent indoor track to practice on.