SiouxSports.com Forum

Next Year Schedule

SiouxFan4Life

When will next years schedule be decided. I recall earlier this year people saying we were going to play a much better non conference schedule this next season. I would like to see Grand Valley State in the regular season, along with teams Like Northern Alabama, Carson-Newman, Pitt State. Lets get some home, away things linned up . Loosing a rivalry with NDSU, SDSU. Lets start a trophy game with Pitt State, and Grand Valley State. That would be huge, any other ideas as to whom we should play.... or who we might play

Not trying to bring up the should we/shouldn't we play topic again... but the D2 Football Football Committee chair said this about SSI next year on the D2football.com board.

The committee will review the SSI in the off-season. We already had some discussions this past week in Alabama. I would say this about the SSI, its probably pretty close to what it will be. I think it wasn't so much the I-AA opponents that caught teams - it was the non DI/DII opponents (i.e. DIII, NAIA) that caught them....at least in most of the situations.

Also. UND lists these dates as open next year on the AFCA board

9/4 & 9/11 & 11/6

http://www.afca.com/lev2.cfm/317

I like the idea of playing Pitt St. every year. We've had some playoff battles and they are perrenially a great team. Plus, they'll be out of the region now which will give us a little bit better idea of how we stack up nationally.

I think the Duluth game could have some trophy to play for now that they are in our conference.

Actually playing a DIAA school can yield a DII school 8 points on the current scale. The max per game is 14 so when UND beats NDSU they will get 8 points each year no matter if it is on the road or at home. Playing a non DII school only yeilds a team 2 points for a win. That is what cost UNA this year.

We were actually trying to be nice and play a DII "provisional" team that has re-started football after 50 or so years. Next year they are full blown DII. They are also thinking about joining the GSC.

Yes it was a cream puff game but next year we would get 9-11 points instead of 2 because they will not be provisional anymore.

Not trying to bring up the should we/shouldn't we play topic again... but the D2 Football Football Committee chair said this about SSI next year on the D2football.com board.

The committee will review the SSI in the off-season.  We already had some discussions this past week in Alabama.  I would say this about the SSI, its probably pretty close to what it will be.  I think it wasn't so much the I-AA opponents that caught teams - it was the non DI/DII opponents (i.e. DIII, NAIA) that caught them....at least in most of the situations.

Also.  UND lists these dates as open next year on the AFCA board

9/4 & 9/11 & 11/6

http://www.afca.com/lev2.cfm/317

I think that so long as the current strength of schedule numbers are in place, UND will not be playing any I-AA's. But I'm still a little confused as to whether NDSU's game against UC-Davis this year counted as a loss to a I-AA independent (6 points), or a loss to a I-AA non-automatic qualifying conference opponent (1 point)? Not that I think the game will take place anyway, but if NDSU is considered a I-AA non-automatic qualifying conference opponent, as it appears they would be, the game would count for practically no power points whether it was won or lost so it would really be a no-win situation for UND.

As far as scheduling a game with GVSU this year goes, we already have our schedule done. Regarding SSI, we got the same number of points for beating 1AA UCD on the road, a game we had scheduled before their move up a division, as Bentley had for beating D3 doormat Plymouth State at home. SSI needs a lot of tweaking. I realize they want to keep games in D2, but a team should not be punished for challenging itself.

I am a UNO fan in Omaha. Don't know about the Sioux schedule for 2004 but I have heard that the NCC has a tentative agreement with Western and Central Wa. Universities to play them home and home between 2006-10. They will play all 7 NCC teams on a home and home basis those 4 years. They only have 4 teams in their conference so this is a way to end their scheduling problems. Will add to their travel expenses but it put some pretty respectable teams on NCC schedules. It is good for the league.

I hope the Mavs don't play either NDSU or SDSU in the future in fb or bb. It generally hurts our playoff chances and why should we help the above schools out of their scheduling problems when it was NDSU/SDSU who created this mess. I hope the rest of the NCC boycotts our wayward brethren.

And yet another article about the whole "will they or won't they play next year" saga. I am so sick of this issue. To the extent there was any question about where the game would be played in the unlikely event it occurs, this quote from Gene Taylor removes any lingering doubt:

If a Sioux-Bison game were to happen next year, Taylor indicated it would only happen in Fargo. "We wouldn't go up there," he said.

I know what NDSU's motivation is: one big gate since their home schedule is likely going to be poor. From UND's perspective, the benefits--to the extent there are any--are a bit more difficult to discern.

UND 92,96

That article looks like old information. There are contracts with Cal-Poly and UMD that were signed well over a week ago.

Taylor said before last season that he and UND athletic director Roger Thomas were discussing playing on that date as part of a home and home series

I'm guessing that the game would still be the start of a home/home, so UND would benefit with a sellout game in 2005. One that tickets could be sold for substantially more and help fund some guarantees for the good DII teams that are supposedly headed for GF.

I'm guessing that the game would still be the start of a home/home, so UND would benefit with a sellout game in 2005. One that tickets could be sold for substantially more and help fund some guarantees for the good DII teams that are supposedly headed for GF.

I'm pretty sure that any big-name dII opponents on UND's schedule would be part of a home-and-home, so there wouldn't be any huge guarantees involved. In this day and age, I don't believe it's even possible to entice an elite dII program to agree to a one-game contract for a road game unless the guarantee is so large that there's basically nothing left from the ticket proceeds for the home team. It's not worth it financially.

Big Name and D2 opponents are mutually exclusive.... :D

I don't know, I can name a big team in D-II: UND Fighting Sioux. They're who this message board is about! If you're really no longer interested in UND football or other D-II football, then you're probably in the wrong place.

Back on topic -- Not next year, as frogger said, but in the future I'd love to see a home/away with GVSU, they were a blast to watch at the national championship game, and provide a different defensive style of play from most NCC teams, they'd definitely get us into shape. Plus, being in our region next year, the NCAA encourages us to play them.

Also from this year's playoff opponents, I wouldn't mind seeing Winona a bit more. They're definitely scrappy, in-region, and play an offense reminiscent of some of the old NDSU offenses, which I think is also good to face during the season.

Big Name and D2 opponents are mutually exclusive.... :D

I realize you're trying to be facetious, but in the world of dII football, schools like Grand Valley St., TAMUK, Pitt. St., NW Mo. St., etc. are big-name opponents, as you well know. I just hope that UND is able to schedule home-and-home's with one or two of the best-known (is that a better way to describe them?) dII programs. Next year, in particular, that is important since the home NCC schedule doesn't look like it will be very good. I believe Central Wash. and Mesa St. will be coming to GF, so that's a pretty good start to the non-conference schedule. At least two and preferably three more non-conference games are yet to be scheduled.

We were actually trying to be nice and play a DII "provisional" team that has re-started football after 50 or so years. Next year they are full blown DII. They are also thinking about joining the GSC.

Yes it was a cream puff game but next year we would get 9-11 points instead of 2 because they will not be provisional anymore.

That's not dissimilar to our arrangement with Crookston. We played them for a few years to try to help get their program established (they've been playing D-II ball in the NSIC since '99). As long as it doesn't hurt our playoff chances, it doesn't bother me that much as long as it's only one game and we can find quality opponents for the others.

I am a UNO fan in Omaha. Don't know about the Sioux schedule for 2004 but I have heard that the NCC has a tentative agreement with Western and Central Wa. Universities to play them home and home between 2006-10. They will play all 7 NCC teams on a home and home basis those 4 years. They only have 4 teams in their conference so this is a way to end their scheduling problems. Will add to their travel expenses but it put some pretty respectable teams on NCC schedules. It is good for the league.

I hope the Mavs don't play either NDSU or SDSU in the future in fb or bb. It generally hurts our playoff chances and why should we help the above schools out of their scheduling problems when it was NDSU/SDSU who created this mess. I hope the rest of the NCC boycotts our wayward brethren.

I think it makes alot of sense to get into a formal scheduling relationship with the two Washington schools. Considering the fact that both schools have only been in D2 for 5 or 6 years, they have pretty solid programs. The biggest problem NCC schools are going to have the next few years is finding games from late September through the end of the regular season. By working with those two schools in an official arrangement, they can be incorporated into everyone's schedule during the conference season and in effect, give each NCC school 8 "locked in" games.

• 3 weeks later...

A home and home with the Javelinas and the Sioux sounds pretty good to me. We have a hard time filling out our nonconference schedule (last year we had to get two I-AA teams) and we have one for sure opening next year, and maybe two if I-AA Nicholls State buys us out, which I hear they might want to.

A home and home with the Javelinas and the Sioux sounds pretty good to me.  We have a hard time filling out our nonconference schedule (last year we had to get two I-AA teams) and we have one for sure opening next year, and maybe two if I-AA Nicholls State buys us out, which I hear they might want to.

That would be a fun series. I still remember when TAMUK (then Texas A & I) came to Grand Forks back in 1986, led by Johnny Bailey. UND was at the start of a rebuilding process back then and TAMUK won handily, although it was an entertaining game with something like 110 points scored.

I will be interested to see the NCC schedule next year. According to the UND media guide, UNO comes here again next year. However, according the UNO site, we go there. I am assuming the schedule for all NCC teams will have three home and three road games. I'm pretty sure we'll be going to St. Cloud and Augie. I'm also pretty sure USD and Mankato will be coming here. The questions are Omaha and UMD. I'm hoping we get Omaha at home again, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the other way around.