SiouxSports.com Forum

Week 6 EWU

geaux_sioux

The defense hasn't been elite for 7 years and counting. It has nothing to do with "transition" or "FCS quality athletes". Ever since Bubba left town to coach Duluth, the defensive talent has gone way down from what it was in the early 2000's. This is a long-term systemic problem and it must be fixed. And if that means Mussman has to fire some of his close and personal friends, then that is what he had better do. If not, it might be time for him to start polishing up his resume. Leadership in a football program starts at the top. These are all Mussman's players and Mussman's coaches and he has to start taking the bull by the horns and start doing what it takes to get this program to the level it is capable of getting to. The upside of the football program is unreal, but if we don't take the right steps in the next couple of years, it won't happen. I do not want to become the next Northern Colorado of Big Sky football.

Does anyone else notice Poly keeps being discussed as a top BSC team? Why are they so much more prepared for conference/national prominence than UND after the transition? If we want to fall back on the effects of the transition, needing more time, etc., let's compare apples to apples then.

Poly has been done with the transition for several years now.

My fear is this was just the begining of the ass kickings this year. And if I'm right where does that leave this football program....

at Northern Arizona L 0-41

East Stroudsburg W 38-7

South Dakota L 3-45

at South Dakota State L 23-29

at MSU Mankato L 6-28

Augustana W 41-18

at Morningside L 7-48

St. Cloud State W 30-3

at Northern Colorado L 27-28

Nebraska-Omaha L 7-19

at North Dakota State L 0-49

To look on the bright side, as bad as losing 17-55 to EWU is, it can't possibly compare to losing 7-48 to freaking Morningside. If there had been message boards back in 1985, I can't even imagine what the fall-out would have been after that loss.

East Stroudsburg W 38-7

South Dakota L 3-45

at MSU Mankato L 6-28

Augustana W 41-18

at Morningside L 7-48

St. Cloud State W 30-3

Nebraska-Omaha L 7-19

To look on the bright side, as bad as losing 17-55 to EWU is, it can't possibly compare to losing 7-48 to freaking Morningside. If there had been message boards back in 1985, I can't even imagine what the fall-out would have been after that loss.

There was something in the water for Morningside that year. I believe they tied the AC, and lost a close one on the last play of the game to USD, whom I believe was ranked #1 at the time.

Because it is easier and more convenient to consistently throw 18-23 year old players under the bus.

Especially when they play with the lack of heart and effort that they showed on Saturday.

I'm embarrassed for them if they can honestly say that was their best effort. I saw otherwise.

They did not play with any sense of UND pride in Cheney from the 2nd quarter on.

You can always tell the mental makeup and character of players and/or a team when things are at their worst and true colors come out in those situations more often than not.

I did not like what I saw from our players on Saturday - specifically the defense. They were NOT pissed to be getting beat so bad in the 3rd quarter and that is a huge problem and concern in my eyes.

I'm not sure that ANY of UND's great football teams have EVER - and I do mean EVER - been the most talented teams in the country, but character, heart, pride and effort have always been the difference-makers with most of those teams.

While talent level may be an issue at certain times at certain positions, I have WAY MORE concern right now about the rest of the player's attributes I mentioned.

Once again, this is just my opinion.

East Stroudsburg W 38-7

South Dakota L 3-45

at MSU Mankato L 6-28

Augustana W 41-18

at Morningside L 7-48

St. Cloud State W 30-3

Nebraska-Omaha L 7-19

The East Stroudsburg game was my very first UND football game my dad took me to. I had lots of fun...of course I didn't know UND would only have 3 wins that year.

I'm embarrassed for them if they can honestly say that was their best effort. I saw otherwise.

I did not like what I saw from our players on Saturday - specifically the defense. They were NOT pissed to be getting beat so bad in the 3rd quarter and that is a huge problem and concern in my eyes.

With this group I am not sure they were embarrassed. They probably still think they are great - which is the problem. When the fans are more embarrased than the players, you have an issue.

Towards the end of the game several players could be seen patting the opposing player on the helmet and being all friendly. They were not mad or embarrassed by the fact they were down by 31 points. Sad.

With this group I am not sure they were embarrassed. They probably still think they are great - which is the problem. When the fans are more embarrased than the players, you have an issue.

Towards the end of the game several players could be seen patting the opposing player on the helmet and being all friendly. They were not mad or embarrassed by the fact they were down by 31 points. Sad.

Players take the attitude of their coaches. Take what you want from that.