SiouxSports.com Forum

week 1 and 2 predictions

geaux_sioux

I would like to hear more from ND fans about Rocky Long adopting the no punt philosophy, and also implementing only onside kicks. The coach from the Arkansas high school who has been utilizing this kind of program for several years has been in the top 5 nationally on a consistent basis. Oregon has gone for it a number of times since Kelly took over, and statistically the numbers bare out over time. It just seems that regardless of field position it puts a great deal more pressure on the defense (especially on third down), and allows your offense a great deal more flexibility and room for mistakes (since you are increasing your play opportunities by 33%).

How do you suppose ND will prepare for that?

Interesting reading : http://aol.sportingn...football-genius

you know I read that article and I am not really sure what I think. I do know that there are a number of times when I wanted us to go for it instead of punt. Defense is a strong point for our team and program in general so that makes me feel better about the prospect of going against a team that does not punt. I am no coach but as a guy who played linebacker back in the day I would want to be aware of this and practice for it. I do like our odds on 4th and short because the line is the backbone of our defense this year.

I guess we will find out soon enough!

Does this start out as a gimmick and catches on. Is punting a turnover?

Makes me think back to playing the SU veer in the 80's. If we punt Bentrum is going to score. Why punt.

Also something I read about awhile back the guy wrote every college should get 1 spring game. Wouldn't that make the spring a bit more exciting.

Does this start out as a gimmick and catches on. Is punting a turnover?

Well, if there was not a rule that allowed you to punt, and the rule makers then decided that they would give the offense an opportunity to give the ball to the opposition 30 or 40 yards downfield in order to avoid turning the ball over at the point of attack, then yes, you could call it a "voluntary" turnover.

Predictions predictions.....

Week #1. Sloppy football, but the Sioux win the game by at least three touchdowns.

Week #2. Welcome to the big boys.....Sioux win but by no more than 10 points.

Week #3. Sioux lose by two touchdowns. Kind of a measuring stick for them....be nice to get one of these games at some point in time.

I guess topic got sidetracked I'm still trying to figure out these other teams we play 1st one should be big w. Has anybody on this board given an indepth report on games 2 and 3.

I don't know a ton about Portland St., except that they have been improving. They were 5-3 in the Big Sky last year and missed the playoffs because they one of their 7 wins was against a DII school. They are a solid program right now. If the game were in Portland I'd probably give them the edge. In the Alerus, I like North Dakota by 10...............

San Diego St. is a middle-of-the-pack Mountain West team. They should be heavy favorites at home against us. They could be a beatable FBS opponent for us, but every bounce will have to go our way.

I guess topic got sidetracked I'm still trying to figure out these other teams we play 1st one should be big w. Has anybody on this board given an indepth report on games 2 and 3.

The UNDSports website has a series of article that gives some insight into each of the football teams opponents this year. Here are the links to the PSU and SDSU game. Not alot of indepth info, but some insight to get you a bit of info on these teams...

PSU: http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58640&SPID=6399&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205459119

SDSU: http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58640&SPID=6399&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205498566

The UNDSports website has a series of article that gives some insight into each of the football teams opponents this year. Here are the links to the PSU and SDSU game. Not alot of indepth info, but some insight to get you a bit of info on these teams...

PSU: http://www.undsports...TCLID=205459119

SDSU: http://www.undsports...TCLID=205498566

The post regarding the Vikings was fairly accurate, but yes did not really provide much insight. A few points:

Offense -

PSU did not lose a starting WR, in fact there is a great deal of experience and skill at this position returning, as well as TE. The offensive line returns almost entirely intact. The QB situation is very interesting in that much attention has been given to the loss of Kavanaugh, who was a leading rusher in the BSC, not by design but more out of necessity and opportunities presented. After losing the leading RB (McCaffery) five games into the season, and losing the services of an already thin backfield by having Shaquille Richard go down, the team was using defensive backs by the end of the season. The pistol offense utilizes a great deal of misdirection, options and roll outs, and fortunately Kavanaugh was able to pick up a great deal of the slack as far as the ground game is concerned. He was an accurate and composed passer but didn't have the arm strength to be a deep threat. He was however very nimble. The current cadre of quarterbacks, while mixed in their exposure to the pistol, possess some outstanding skills, some in the air and some on the ground. It remains to be seen who will put them altogether by this fall. The entire backfield (minus McCaffery) is back healthy, along with a bruiser transfer from Maryland.

Defense -

Aside from PSU's linebacking corp (one of the Big Sky's best) and interior defensive line, the Vikings were thin going into this season. Burton had an incredible recruiting class this last year (rated by some as the 2nd best in the nation at the FCS level), but he decided to bolster the DL by signing some outstanding DE transfers from Texas Southern, Boise State, and Fresno State. The DL and LB groups are now quite deep, but the big question marks are going to be replacing the safety positions and developing the corners. It appears that this year Burton is going to move one of the quicker LBs to the SS slot and hope that the returning corners pick up their game as the younger group of DBs get their feet wet. I believe that the Viks are hoping to apply a great deal of pressure on opposing QBs from an aggressive DL and LB unit to take some pressure off the corners - we'll see.

Special Teams -

Probably the best in the BSC. By far the best kicker and one of the best punters. I believe they also led the BSC in blocked punts/kicks. An area in need of improvement was punt returns.

So there you go - a quick and dirty assessment of the current state of the Vikings from a fan ( ha - the coaches might have something to say about it though)

The post regarding the Vikings was fairly accurate, but yes did not really provide much insight. A few points:

Offense -

PSU did not lose a starting WR, in fact there is a great deal of experience and skill at this position returning, as well as TE. The offensive line returns almost entirely intact. The QB situation is very interesting in that much attention has been given to the loss of Kavanaugh, who was a leading rusher in the BSC, not by design but more out of necessity and opportunities presented. After losing the leading RB (McCaffery) five games into the season, and losing the services of an already thin backfield by having Shaquille Richard go down, the team was using defensive backs by the end of the season. The pistol offense utilizes a great deal of misdirection, options and roll outs, and fortunately Kavanaugh was able to pick up a great deal of the slack as far as the ground game is concerned. He was an accurate and composed passer but didn't have the arm strength to be a deep threat. He was however very nimble. The current cadre of quarterbacks, while mixed in their exposure to the pistol, possess some outstanding skills, some in the air and some on the ground. It remains to be seen who will put them altogether by this fall. The entire backfield (minus McCaffery) is back healthy, along with a bruiser transfer from Maryland.

Defense -

Aside from PSU's linebacking corp (one of the Big Sky's best) and interior defensive line, the Vikings were thin going into this season. Burton had an incredible recruiting class this last year (rated by some as the 2nd best in the nation at the FCS level), but he decided to bolster the DL by signing some outstanding DE transfers from Texas Southern, Boise State, and Fresno State. The DL and LB groups are now quite deep, but the big question marks are going to be replacing the safety positions and developing the corners. It appears that this year Burton is going to move one of the quicker LBs to the SS slot and hope that the returning corners pick up their game as the younger group of DBs get their feet wet. I believe that the Viks are hoping to apply a great deal of pressure on opposing QBs from an aggressive DL and LB unit to take some pressure off the corners - we'll see.

Special Teams -

Probably the best in the BSC. By far the best kicker and one of the best punters. I believe they also led the BSC in blocked punts/kicks. An area in need of improvement was punt returns.

So there you go - a quick and dirty assessment of the current state of the Vikings from a fan ( ha - the coaches might have something to say about it though)

Thanks for the info "bambinobliss." Very much looking forward to our first BSC opponent (even though it's not a conference game) for 2012! I expect PSU to be very strong this year. I'm hoping the homefield/Potato Bowl weekend will be enough of an advantage to get our guys the win in this game.

It appears as though PSU has the same questions that UND has, the secondary. Perhaps this game will turn into quite the offensive shootout.

I am guessing that we are 1-2 and that the "fire mussman" thread will spread quicker than the "no intelligent !@#$ to say right now but convincing enough to make sense" thread will be after a likely week 2 or 3 loss (and hopefully not a 2 AND 3 loss). I am optimistic that the Big Sky schedule will hit us at the right time, but I think we are underestimating the quality of wins of last year.

• 3 weeks later...