SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Recruiting

UND Fan

Anyway.............., to somewhat update everyone on where UND is in recruiting: Josh Parks may or may not be on his way to UND. Ezra is deciding between UNI and UND. We had a contingent in Michigan today to recruit at Brother Rice. There is speculation that Kacour is accepting a PWO to UofM. Did I miss anything fellow recruiting buddies? Roll tribe!

Parks accepted a PWO offer from Minnesota yesterday and as for Kocour he hasn't officially taken the PWO from Minnesota and the picture earlier in this thread is a picture every official visitor takes at Minnesota but I could definitely see him ending up there as Minnesota doesn't currently have any official DB commits and he could have a decent opportunity there although it is believed one recruit has given them a silent verbal.

You mean to tell me we're right on pace with this throw away class that will contribute nothing but warm bodies? Excuse me while I scrape my brain off the ceiling and pick my jaw up off the floor.

Great coaches do great things.

If Bubba and his staff's ability to recruit produces classes like this when they only have a month to recruit, what's it gonna be like when they have an entire season to work with? We're coming back baby!!

I have a question: How many of these verbal commitments that we have were actually recruited and identified by the new staff. I have a feeling the guys we have committed at this point and time were being recruited by the previous staff even after everything happen in november? So how great of a job is bubba staff doing or are they riding the coat tails of previous recruiting?!

• Upvote 1

I have a question: How many of these verbal commitments that we have were actually recruited and identified by the new staff. I have a feeling the guys we have committed at this point and time were being recruited by the previous staff even after everything happen in november? So how great of a job is bubba staff doing or are they riding the coat tails of previous recruiting?!

On one hand, nice try. I had a chuckle.

On the other hand some of the recruits like Studsrud are obvious prospects for any staff in this region. Also Freund, the previous recruiting coordinator, was retained. So is it even possible to say he was riding his own coat tails?

Alright Mr. Pessimistic, as far as we know, a lot of the recruits were first contacted by the new staff.

There were four verbals before Coach Schweigert got the job:

DE Greely

WR Ferguson

DB Harris

DB Montague

After that, the recruits that are most likely exclusive to Bubba's staff are (5):

WR Walker - Michigan connections from time at SIU

OL Francis - From Missouri, near SIU; also had offer from SIU

OL/DL Harris - from Chicago area; likely picked up on by Bubba & staff

DE Dranka - from Chicago area; had interest from SIU

CB Carter - from Michigan area that new staff has exploited (see Brandon Walker)

Other from Minnesota/Wisconsin that cannot be confirmed (7):

QB Studsrud - Minnesota

TE Fielder - from Florida but has family connections to ND, so he may have been recruited by previous staff

OL Stiner - Wisconsin

OL/DL Cieslak - North Dakota

LB Dylan Harmston - Wisconsin

LB Hudson Walton - Wisconsin

K Tauberheim - Minnesota

So 5 out of 16 are almost definitively Coach Schweigert's doing. That number could easily be 8 or 9 considering the unknowns.

Regardless, the fact that he came in, with only a month before signing day, and assembled this class is impressive any way you spin it.

Go Sioux!

On one hand, nice try. I had a chuckle.

On the other hand some of the recruits like Studsrud are obvious prospects for any staff in this region. Also Freund, the previous recruiting coordinator, was retained. So is it even possible to say he was riding his own coat tails?

wow. someone gave you some bad info i think on that 1!

Alright Mr. Pessimistic, as far as we know, a lot of the recruits were first contacted by the new staff.

There were four verbals before Coach Schweigert got the job:

DE Greely

WR Ferguson

DB Harris

DB Montague

After that, the recruits that are most likely exclusive to Bubba's staff are (5):

WR Walker - Michigan connections from time at SIU

OL Francis - From Missouri, near SIU; also had offer from SIU

OL/DL Harris - from Chicago area; likely picked up on by Bubba & staff

DE Dranka - from Chicago area; had interest from SIU

CB Carter - from Michigan area that new staff has exploited (see Brandon Walker)

Other from Minnesota/Wisconsin that cannot be confirmed (7):

QB Studsrud - Minnesota

TE Fielder - from Florida but has family connections to ND, so he may have been recruited by previous staff

OL Stiner - Wisconsin

OL/DL Cieslak - North Dakota

LB Dylan Harmston - Wisconsin

LB Hudson Walton - Wisconsin

K Tauberheim - Minnesota

So 5 out of 16 are almost definitively Coach Schweigert's doing. That number could easily be 8 or 9 considering the unknowns.

Regardless, the fact that he came in, with only a month before signing day, and assembled this class is impressive any way you spin it.

Go Sioux!

interesting. as I look at the new list, besides the kids from michigan, i think all of those kids were identified by the last staff before bubba got in place!! I hope those kids can play bigger than what they are because we had undersized guys last year and were not very successful.

interesting. as I look at the new list, besides the kids from michigan, i think all of those kids were identified by the last staff before bubba got in place!! I hope those kids can play bigger than what they are because we had undersized guys last year and were not very successful.

Guess how many of those undersized guys graduated.

We graduated undersized lbs DBs a rb and undersized DBs transferred. That's a lot of undersized players no longer on the team. They're replaced by much bigger players.

you are right and they are bringing in are bigger in some area (which is not hard to do), but still recruiting the "not so big" guy in other positions. Also running the same defense......with also losing All of the offense production from last year. Getting rbs will definitely help (believe me we all have seen) but you have to block up front and have threats on the outside to keep the extra hat out of the box

you are right and they are bringing in are bigger in some area (which is not hard to do), but still recruiting the "not so big" guy in other positions. Also running the same defense......with also losing All of the offense production from last year. Getting rbs will definitely help (believe me we all have seen) but you have to block up front and have threats on the outside to keep the extra hat out of the box

Who are the not so big ones?

Who are the not so big ones?

carter, good wieght size, but lacking height

dranka, saw this game already. he is a 4-3 de, not a 3-4 de (check out carrothers)

the linebacker for mehominee, he going to play olb, (finley, bennett, idowu last year)

cieslak, true tweener, not a de (ability) or dt (size), more effective in a 4-3 scheme i think (just my opinion)

Incorrect.

You obviously possess a stance that you will not budge on. I have a difficult time considering you a UND supporter/fan/alumni because you have yet to identify a single positive with the program.

• Upvote 1

carter, good wieght size, but lacking height

dranka, saw this game already. he is a 4-3 de, not a 3-4 de (check out carrothers)

the linebacker for mehominee, he going to play olb, (finley, bennett, idowu last year)

cieslak, true tweener, not a de (ability) or dt (size), more effective in a 4-3 scheme i think (just my opinion)

Carter is 5'10" there's nothing wrong with that if he has good technique. I don't know if you know much about prototypical NFL measurables, but have you seen Brandon Flowers (Chiefs), Darelle Revis (Buccaneers), or Joe Haden (Browns); they're all 5'9" to 5'11" , so with that said, you're being nothing but unrealistically critical when saying Carter isn't tall enough.

Dranka has ability; he can play in a 3-4 at 250 lbs. You really don't understand defensive football that well, so let me tell you, a big part of defense is not the system being run (which, yes, is continuing with the 3-4 pressure scheme) but rather the timing of the plays called (when to pressure and how much) and the positioning of the players (put into the best spots to be successful). Bubba and Schmidt will bring defensive experience from the MVFC and get this thing rolling again.

And to say Cieslak doesn't have DE ability; you've got to be joking? Judging by your earlier analytics, I don't think you are capable of determining that.

You are trolling and, well, clueless.

• Upvote 2