SiouxSports.com Forum

next year

UND92,96

.....the list of our returning LB's may be the best group as a whole EVER!! We will have Hermes, Dahlen, Brennan, Maier and Bab-John at OLB and Anderson, Ullsperger, Nordick, Halstenson and Schmitz at ILB. Looking at those names and remembering how they played, you can mix and match those guys in a lot of combinations without any drop-off in production. 1 sr, 5 jr's and 4 soph's next season. Wow.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how any coaching changes could change the depth chart for next year. I would say defensively the only definate starters returning are Digger,Gagner, Duescher, and probably Manke. Other then that The weak and strong outside backer spot is up for grabs in my mind. Brennan had a good season, and especially one hell of a game in alabama. I see he , Brook Maier, and Tony Hermes fighting for the nod. Weakside between all-conference returnee Tyler Dahlen, and Bab-Johnson things could be a fight there also. The defensive end spots are in the air. Though I would see Newhouse, and Peterson definately starting. Inside next too digger, its between Ullsperberger and Nordik, and I like Dan!! And I see Hoffshneider and Franklin fighting for that other corner spot. With Gagner and Brandstead deep. That could be a scary defense, and I dont see many spots with a weak player.... Actually I dont see any!!!! :silly:

Games are won in the trenches.

Let's focus on establishing who the new offensive and defensive lines will be.

offensive line returning starters

Barry Smith, guard, 6'8", 319

Chris Kuper, guard, 6'5", 316

non-starters who saw some playing time

Matt Buisker, tackle, 6'7", 319

Andy Hendrickson, guard-center, 6'3", 285

Tyler Storhaug, center, 6'0", 270

other possibilities

John Bronson, tackle, 6'5", 300

Don Doescher, guard?, 6'1", 300

Andy Hoffelt, tackle, 6'4", 295

Justin Muscha, guard-center, 6'2", 260

Brett Bauer, tackle, 6'6", 310 (red-shirted)

Nick Bonnet, guard?, 6'3", 250 (red-shirted)

Mitch Braegelmann, guard?, 6'2", 265 (red-shirted)

Andy Soll, guard?, 6'3", 280 (red-shirted)

I'm guessing the starting lineup will be Hendrickson at center, Smith and Kuper at guard, and Buisker and Hoffelt at tackle. Average size of 6'5 1/2", 307 pounds.

the battle that i am really looking forward to seeing is in the secondary. at cornerback, we have Manke, Hoffschneider, Franklin, and RS Frosh Donovan Alexander. I forgot to mention Mike Greenwood, who is also a very good player. Franklin was said to be the the best CB in fall camp this year, but was academically ineligible. Alexander, was THE top recruit for UND across their board, and is an outstanding athlete. Manke will be the senior, and Hoffschneider is coming off a very good season for a freshman. There are some tough decisions to be made in the secondary. Also, at safety we have Gagner, Brandsted and Desautel. Gagner will start for sure, he's earned it. I'm not sure who will come out of fall camp between Desautel and Brandsted however. should be interesting. No lack of talent or depth at these positions, that's for sure.

THe starting o-line will probably be hendrickson,kupe,smith,buisker, and hoffelt. The starting D-Line will be Duescher, Peterson, and Newhouse, with WOlff and Muro getting time at nose and end.

Our starting recievers is more interesting to me. With Josh Ranson, not many of you got to see him play but he redshirted the year we won it all and he transfered and now came back. He is like a Lueck with more consistent catching. He isnt as tall, but just as fast, and exciting. Jeff Webber is a very polished reciever, with Caleb, Grossman, Alkins if he returns,Van Dyke, and Presthus and Ott will all see time. I look for Lee Groeschol to push Bowenkamp at QB, and make some plays happen

THe starting o-line will probably be hendrickson,kupe,smith,buisker, and hoffelt. The starting D-Line will be Duescher, Peterson, and Newhouse, with WOlff and Muro getting time at nose and end.

Our starting recievers is more interesting to me. With Josh Ranson, not many of you got to see him play but he redshirted the year we won it all and he transfered and now came back. He is like a Lueck with more consistent catching. He isnt as tall, but just as fast, and exciting. Jeff Webber is a very polished reciever, with Caleb, Grossman, Alkins if he returns,Van Dyke, and Presthus and Ott will all see time. I look for Lee Groeschol to push Bowenkamp at QB, and make some plays happen

Ranson is back huh? i wasnt aware of that. that is good because he is an excellent athlete. i guess he was an amazing baseball player with a hose for an arm. possibly was drafted out of high school, not sure. he should have an impact next year. from what i have heard recently, i dont believe that Alkins will return because of academics. Ott may be moved to a different position because of how big he has gotten, possibly defense. I also really believe that Groeschel will remain at WR. Bowenkamp is back next year, and Belmore will probably be his backup, as he is the best of the 3 in that QB class. having Groeschel's atheticism on the field is neccessary, and i believe WR is where we will find him. those are just my thoughts and what i have heard.

I wonder how any coaching changes could change the depth chart for next year. I would say defensively the only definate starters returning are Digger,Gagner, Duescher, and probably Manke. Other then that The weak and strong outside backer spot is up for grabs in my mind. Brennan had a good season, and especially one hell of a game in alabama. I see he , Brook Maier, and Tony Hermes fighting for the nod. Weakside between all-conference returnee Tyler Dahlen, and Bab-Johnson things could be a fight there also. The defensive end spots are in the air. Though I would see Newhouse, and Peterson definately starting. Inside next too digger, its between Ullsperberger and Nordik, and I like Dan!! And I see Hoffshneider and Franklin fighting for that other corner spot. With Gagner and Brandstead deep. That could be a scary defense, and I dont see many spots with a weak player.... Actually I dont see any!!!! :silly:

Isn't Irvin back as well. I think he had a medical redshirt this past year?

jamel alkins will not be back unless a miracle happens!!! or so ive heard and Shad Carney(QB) out of sioux falls is going to be back after a year at glendale community college in arizona with three years of eligibility left.

If Carney comes back I believe he'd have two years of eligibility left. He red-shirted in 2001 and was the third-stringer in 2002 before he transferred to the juco where he played this year. He should probably consider playing hoops, as well, as he may get more playing time there.

I have heard the coaching staff is considering moving Donovan Alexander to the other side of the ball. I know they want to use his skills for kick-off and punt returns. However I don't know if they want to try him at running back or wide reciever.

I hope they do utilize this kid on returns, but what makes me a little leery about trying him on offense is that there's nothing in his media guide bio to suggest that he ever played offense in high school. That would seem to be a big adjustment to go from a Canadian high school defensive back to an NCC back or receiver.

Wayne Nelson had an article in the Herald today regarding next year's football season. Not surprisingly, Lennon listed the offensive line as the primary area of concern due to the loss of three starters and the top reserve. Red-shirt Mitch Braegelmann from St. Cloud was listed as an offensive line newcomer to watch next year. Other newcomers singled out as potential contributors were offensive linemen Brett Bauer and Andy White (who was listed as an outside linebacker on the roster), tight end Drew Thomas, receivers Rick Presthus, Troy Ott and Michigan Tech transfer Jeff Weber, defensive linemen Alex Cadwell and Jordan Muro, and defensive back Donovan Alexander. The article also stated that talks with Grand Valley St. about a possible regular-season game next year are still ongoing.