SiouxSports.com Forum

next year

UND92,96

Somebison....Lennon will not leave UND unless it is a big time 1AA job and a big increase in pay, and a program that is fully funded with similar facilities to UND...why would you leave UND where you are a big fish in the pond to go to a 1AA school like Sac. St. that has struggled and their facilities are no better than UND's??? Mussman has been applying for at least 3 jobs....I had heard Schweigert possibly was interested in Jamestown....I really hope we dont lose Bubba...Mussman would have to be replaced outside the program i am assuming...could Bubba leave...i am not sure...he is definitely a UND guy..after UND won in 2001 he said on the radio that this was his dream job, UND is his Notre Dame...tough words from his heart at a emotional time but all and all....could be a interesting off season....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebison....Lennon will not leave UND unless it is a big time 1AA job and a big increase in pay, and a program that is fully funded with similar facilities to UND...why would you leave UND where you are a big fish in the pond to go to a 1AA school like Sac. St. that has struggled and their facilities are no better than UND's???

that's what I said, do you have me confused with somebody.. no flame intended

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?sh...t=0entry34285

92,96 - You seem to have good info regarding our program. Do you know who really stood out among our redshirt freshmen? In the past, the Herald used to mention who the Scout Team Players of the Week were but they didn't do so this week.

Do you know if we have any recruiting commitments yet?

92,96 - You seem to have good info regarding our program.  Do you know who really stood out among our redshirt freshmen?  In the past, the Herald used to mention who the Scout Team Players of the Week were but they didn't do so this week.   

Do you know if we have any recruiting commitments yet?

Thanks. I doubt we'll see too many freshmen playing next year, in large part due to the large number of returning starters and other players who saw a lot of playing time this year. I did hear that wr Rick Presthus had a good year. With the loss of three senior receivers, I imagine he'll have a chance to play some next year. Also, with the loss of two senior defensive ends, I wouldn't be surprised to see a freshman get into the rotation there also, most likely Alex Cadwell from Stillwater. Although there are three tight ends returning who saw action this year, I imagine Drew Thomas might get into the mix. I'll be interested to see Donovan Alexander in the spring game. He is said to have a lot of ability, but with two returning starting corners, plus Jamaal Franklin, it will be tough to crack the lineup.

With regard to recruiting, I haven't heard much yet. I did post some names in a different thread, but that was pretty much all speculation on my part. I really hope the Sioux can sign Rory Manke, as I think he's probably the top recruit in the area. I think the top priorities would be running back, speed at wide receiver, offensive line, defensive end and maybe a kicker. I'm sure all positions will be recruited, but some are really well-stocked right now with young players, i.e. quarterback, tight end, linebacker and defensive back.

Verk - Although I don't overly disagree with your statements that most awards are more of a popularity contest than anything else but I would think that, in this case, the coaching staff's credibility with the players would be affected if there wasn't some credence to their selections each week.

My main point in bringing up the Scout Team award was that it was the only mention of how redshirt freshmen were doing. I fully agree that watching practice is the only way to know for sure.

That didn't happen when I was at UND!

What I am saying is that hands down the best defensive recruit in my class got little to no recognition because he wasn't on scholarship, he left the next year but his older brother had a good career at UND. His older brother happened to come in on scholarship, and practicing against both of them I thought the younger of the 2 was the better player.

are you positive about anything regarding the sioux program?

...in the past UND has not alway put all the best players on the field.  Most but not all.

Might this just be a case of differing opinions between you and the coaches regarding who was truly better, as opposed to a case of "discrimination" against walk-ons? Speaking of walk-ons, didn't Tony Stein come to UND as a walk-on? I would think that if a quarterback walk-on can actually earn a starting spot, then any position player probably could do the same if he was good enough. Off the top of my head, I think Ryan Grant and David Wisthoff from this year's team both were once walk-ons, also.

Some of the scout team players announced on the weekly TV show this year are Svidal, Cadwell, and Wise, each twice. Others included Muro, Presthus, Bauer, Hegg, Sundby, Soll, Manke, Van Dyke, and Turgeon. These were from the latter part of the season. I missed the first 3-4 programs. Lennon also announced a player from Scobey, MT, but I don't see anyone from there listed on the roster.

Verk62,

i wanted to say this to you quite a long time ago, but i figured you would back off a little because you were an ex-teammate of mine. now i HAVE to confront you on this. i cant believe how much negativity you spew on this board. you are a sioux alum and an ex-player, start acting like it. you are giving ex-players a bad name by acting like you are. i played with you, so i know who you are. the scout awards are garbage and biased? i got scout player of the week a couple times, and i wasnt even close to being a highly-touted, full-scholarship recruit. i could probably name some other similar instances also. so my point is that it DID happen when you were at UND. why would you call a fellow sioux fan a "dumbass" for no apparent reason? since i went up against juhasz and J.O. EVERYDAY in practice, i feel that i have some sort of grasp on that issue that you mentioned earlier. J.O. is a good friend of mine, but he was not faster than Juhasz, nor did he get "screwed" out of playing time. Juhasz, Graf, Schlesner, and Holmquist all deserved to be on the field before he did. thats a pretty good list of receivers to be behind on the depth chart, nothing to be ashamed of. i also didnt even mention a young Jesse Smith. look in the record books, and you will find all of them, except holmquist, who was a fourth reciever. J.O. just got a late start at that position, and he didnt really have a good enough grasp of the offense for the coaches to have him in there. he WAS a very good athlete however. you can disagree with people on here if you like, everyone has their opinion. but the way that you do it is just blantantly negative and despiseful. i sometimes wonder if you are still a sioux fan. from one former teammate to another, just please dont be so negative and harsh to UND and to the fans on this forum. disagreement is fine, just do it in a classy manner.

UNDvince97-01

National Champs!!

UND92,96 Posted on Dec 16 2003, 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Verk62 @ Dec 16 2003, 03:20 PM)

...in the past UND has not alway put all the best players on the field. Most but not all.

IT seems to me that UND doesnt play the best players. I felt that Josh Brandstead and Danny Gagner were the best 2 safeties. Stratton never came up and made a hit, missed many tackles, and never made the big play, unless it was handed to him in a gift basket. THats tottaly a reflection of the coaches and there style. WIth Tibesar, I saw Ullspberger in when it counted and big plays but Nordiq always started. Thats keeping your older guy happy and playing talent when its there time.

UND92,96 Posted on Dec 16 2003, 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Verk62 @ Dec 16 2003, 03:20 PM)

...in the past UND has not alway put all the best players on the field. Most but not all.

IT seems to me that UND doesnt play the best players. I felt that Josh Brandstead and Danny Gagner were the best 2 safeties. Stratton never came up and made a hit, missed many tackles, and never made the big play, unless it was handed to him in a gift basket. THats tottaly a reflection of the coaches and there style. WIth Tibesar, I saw Ullspberger in when it counted and big plays but Nordiq always started. Thats keeping your older guy happy and playing talent when its there time.

Or, as is the case, Nordick is more of a run-stopper and Ullsberger is a faster, better guy to have in there on the pass. It isn't about making people happy, it is about having the best people in there for the given situation. That's pretty elementary stuff. Ullsberger played more late because, as UND went 12-2, their opponents needed to pass in the 2nd half, of course except for their comeback wins. It isn't playing older guys, it is a scheme to stop opponents that is situationally based.

would he have 2 years left?

3 years feft. He went to the ag school in 2002 and redshirted his 1st year there. He then transferred to Science, and will have 3 years starting next year, but could conceivably be in for spring ball. He can't redshirt a year here, though.