SiouxSports.com Forum

March Madness 2012

I have to say last night was a perfect example of why I love this time of year and my wife loathes it. Just kiddin hon- sort of. As I am passionate about the game of basketball. Last night was a perfect example of what I love about this time of year. I turn to one channel- and watch Western Illinois yet again, surprise another team and beat Oral Roberts. Then I flip and watch the pro-ranks and see the Twolves (yes, the Twolves) play a very entertaining game with the CP3, Blake Griffinized Clippers and beat them yet again this season. (that's just crazy-right?) Then I'm over watching ESPN in which it is an absolute slugfest for the West Coast Conference title between 2 teams that could make some noise in The Dance this year with Gonzaga and St. Mary's. Neither team gave one inch. It goes to OT. Then while your watching that you flip between that & ESPN 2 where the darling of a few years ago Davidson, had become the Big Bad Wolf, as they are in a double overtime thriller with Western Carolina, a darling, trying to sneak their way in and are just making play after play, with the winner going to the tournament- unfortunately their slipper shattered at the end, but it doesn't take away from the pure joy of what I was witnessing. And if you had time- you saw Wolters from SDSU literally put it in overdrive to put the Jacks in the Summit final v. WIU.

What a night! and we haven't even made it to the Big Dance yet. This is why I'm glad UND has gone D1. There's always a chance for that "One shining moment" And I for one will be sure to be watching when it happens.

March Madness is about the only thing that makes basketball entertaining for me anymore. After Jordan retired the game was completely different...a lot less of a team game and more of a one-on-one type game. It took longer for that to trickle down to the NCAA level, but now you are even starting to see it there in the elite D1 programs. UND is far from that, but just to put it bluntly, small-time D1 basketball doesn't interest me.

If anyone is interested, the March Madness bracket on ESPN.com I play in is called "North Dakota Nuts". I don't know anyone else that plays in the bracket, but there is almost always a North Dakota Nuts group in the different fantasy games on ESPN, which makes it kinda fun.

Two more entertaining finishes last night with Western Kentucky- firing their coach midway through their season winning 4 games in 4 days and beating North Texas to get to the tournament. ESPN had a great stat last night on just how many times a Sunbelt team has managed to win in the opening round of the tournament. Don't count out the Toppers despite their record.

How about Western Illinois? They nearly pulled it off in that hostile atmosphere. Congrats to the Jacks. Hopefully, that can be our fanbase running onto the floor dancing sometime soon. I think we all found out that WIU was a pretty good basketball team this year. They don't care if they miss shots, they don't even try to rebound misses. As long as they use most of the clock that works for them and then they go defend and defend they do...and it nearly worked for them again. If the Jacks can get to the tournament, we can too someday...but we have to get better.

Better than I thought, everybody here was leaning toward 14 or 15.

Could be a pretty favorable matchup for the Griz. Badgers always tough defensively, but I don't see them having enough offensive firepower to blow anybody out. If Montana shoots well, upset not out of the question.

Could be a pretty favorable matchup for the Griz. Badgers always tough defensively, but I don't see them having enough offensive firepower to blow anybody out. If Montana shoots well, upset not out of the question.

Well that didn't go too well for them. SDSU really playing Baylor tough. I dig it. Only down 3 with like 12:00 to go.