SiouxSports.com Forum

Tell me about Dale Lennon?

AdaVandal

Hey guys,

Best of luck in the playoffs. I have been watching your program from afar this year and am really impressed with what your coach has done. He looks really impressive on paper. Don't worry, from what I understand our search committe hasn't even contacted him which I can't understand for the life of me but that is another story. I just know he is going to do great things and move up the ladder quickly and it frustrates me that we are going to miss out on him.

What type of offense do you guys run?

What was the program like before he there?

And by the way, I read some of your posts, UI is really not the black hole it has been painted to be. We made a really stupid hire in Tom Cable last time and he wasn't ready to be a HC. In 98 we won the Big West and beat a pretty good Southern Mississippi in the H-Bowl. We certainly have some facilities challenges that must be addressed but the commissioner of the WAC said on Sunday that if TCU goes to the MWC as expected, we are in the WAC. So the future is looking up. Best wishes from Boise!

What type of offense do you guys run?

What was the program like before he there?

The offense is pretty much a 50-50 run and pass mix. In terms of success, the pass is more effective. There are a lot of different formations. In reality, Lennon is known much more as a defensive coach as he was a defensive assistant at UND from '88 to '96 before leaving for a couple of years to become a head coach at NAIA University of Mary in Bismarck, N.D.

Lennon's predecessor--the current a.d. Roger Thomas--is largely credited with turning the UND program around from a pretty dismal decade in the '80's. Thomas put together some very good staffs which included Lennon. Other than a disappointing 5-6 mark last season, UND has consistently been a good team from about '90 to the present. During that time period, there have been six conference titles, eight playoff appearances, four national semi-final appearances, and one national championship. Aside from last season, UND has finished in the top three in the conference every year from 1990 to the present. Lennon has played a large role in the success of the program over the last dozen-or-so years.

The offense is pretty much a 50-50 run and pass mix. In terms of success, the pass is more effective. There are a lot of different formations. In reality, Lennon is known much more as a defensive coach as he was a defensive assistant at UND from '88 to '96 before leaving for a couple of years to become a head coach at NAIA University of Mary in Bismarck, N.D.

Lennon's predecessor--the current a.d. Roger Thomas--is largely credited with turning the UND program around from a pretty dismal decade in the '80's. Thomas put together some very good staffs which included Lennon. Other than a disappointing 5-6 mark last season, UND has consistently been a good team from about '90 to the present. During that time period, there have been six conference titles, eight playoff appearances, four national semi-final appearances, and one national championship. Aside from last season, UND has finished in the top three in the conference every year from 1990 to the present. Lennon has played a large role in the success of the program over the last dozen-or-so years.

Thats why I hope UND can keep him, I hear that this the last season on Lenon's contract. Anyone heard what Dale is going to do. It would be a shame to lose him as coach.

Thats why I hope UND can keep him, I hear that this the last season on Lenon's contract. Anyone heard what Dale is going to do. It would be a shame to lose him as coach.

I believe Dean Blais (hockey) is the only coach that signs multi-year contracts. So every coach's contract is up each year.

AdaVandal:

Isn't Idaho already interviewing three assistant coaches in the Div I ranks? Was interest in Lennon formally expressed by UI?

As a former Idaho resident, Vandal athletics is of interest to me. If you guys can get in the WAC, great. But if you don't (i.e. TCU doesn't move), will you tough it out in the SunBelt?

Who said a Bison fan doesn't care about UND. ;)

I would love for DL to have gone to Idaho .. but I don't think that program is going anywhere and I don't want to wish failure upon a north dakota boy like dale who is a class act. ???

A side note during the UNA-UND game the UND Alumni Foundation was running ads with a song i am assuming is the UND fight song... with lyrics that said blah blah blah... north dakota U. was UND ever known as North Dakota U or has it always been UND?

I would love for DL to have gone to Idaho .. but I don't think that program is going anywhere and I don't want to wish failure upon a north dakota boy like dale who is a class act. ???

A side note during the UNA-UND game the UND Alumni Foundation was running ads with a song i am assuming is the UND fight song... with lyrics that said blah blah blah... north dakota U. was UND ever known as North Dakota U or has it always been UND?

Artistic license.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that 'North Dakota U' song is the "official" school song, but throughout the years it has effectively been replaced by "Stand Up and Cheer." I could be wrong though.

I believe it was at one time as well. The band brought back "North Dakota U" last year, but I'm not even sure if there are words to it and no one else knows them. "Stand up and Cheer" is the official school song, while "Fight on Sioux" would be closer to a victory march. When you watch DI football and hear the same song over and over, that is their victory march, while the school song is played after scores. If you think our band plays the same songs over and over, go to a DI game. I counted 4 different USC songs that were repeated constantly when they were at ASU.