SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux v. U-18

YaneA

Alright, my computer screwed up so here's attempt number two at this post.

We won, but here are my thoughts:

The first line and Massen were not playing well (or hard). Canady was also doing a lot of stick-checking which isn't very good. Massen didn't have hustle at all. If he is not 100 percent yet, then I suggest he not play unti SCSU series.

Players who were on their game for the Sioux: Quinn Fylling (1G, 1A) and Robbie Bina (1A). Fylling's goal was the play of the game with Greene's setup pass to McMahon and Porter's unbelievable goal from his knees being the runner up. Bina was all over the place. For a small kid, he knocked people around. He blocked another shot and he always seemed to have great positioning on D. He had several SOG and he really looked confident teamed up with Schneider (who wouldn't?). Federov- Foyt played and got ice time. Not enough though to really make an impact, but he did make some good moves in the offensive zone.

Humorous Moment of the Game: During intermission, those dudes who shoot shirts into the stands using an air gun got one into the press box (or pretty darn close). Pat, did it come your way? Runner up: The dude with the mistletoe. He succeeded three times (once on jumbotron). He also got to harass the refs with it.

Annoying Fan of the game: The dude who stole Forecheck's puck. Randy Schmidt says that the puck was for Forecheck and tosses it her way. It falls down and he retosses it and some dude grabs the puck from just outside Forecheck's reach. What a jerk. To make matters worse, he gets a hat from those jokers who fly the blimps.Runner Up: The dude who was sitting behind me. He was really drunk. When he wasn't distracting me away (I missed the double minor penalty to Murray because of him) from the game he was yelling in my neighbor's ear about how ge got drunk at the Ralph even though he's underage. He even recited the numbers off his fake id. That part wasn't annoying really, but distracting fans away from the game is.

Scariest Moment of the game: Randy Schmidt's injury. 4 stitches. a LOT of blood for 4 stitches. Puck or a stick caught him right above the right eye (I think it was the right eye). Runner Up: Parise slid hard into the boards and was slow getting up. He turned out (to appear) ok.

What the heck call of the game: Double minor to Murray while Grimaldi (U-18) only gets 2 minutes. Don't have specifics on this one but Grimaldi bulldogged Murray (I assume it was Murray) and then the drunk guy hits me on the shoulder and says "Di' I njurr you?" Bastard. Anyways, how do you instigate a penalty and end up better off than your opponent? Bogus.

Players who impressed me on the U-18 team: Hegemo, Pearce, and there was one other but I didn't get his number ( :silly: ). Pearce (the backup goaltender for today's game) was right on and made some fabulous saves. Hegemo (who is going to Minnesota next year) was very good although he did not get a point.)

Players who I was not impressed with on the U-18 team: Carlson (starting goalie), and all their top scorers. Carlson, in warmups, looked very sharp and ended up giving up all the goals. He even got beaten 5 hole on an unbelievable goal by Porter. He has potential to move on, but he'll either have to go DIII or to a juniors team for a year or so to hone his skills. The top scorers I don't think even touched the puck to my knowledge. Lerg did take a faceoff but none of the others were eye catching on the ice.

Overall, I was impressed by this team. They hung in there better than Concordia or even Yale did. The saddest thing is that there was no good mocking going on. How do you mock a team with "USA" on their jerseys? You really can't. Even theSieve chant kinda petered out.

That's all I can think of right now.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally registered after lurking for a half a year. I just had Pete (PSB) install the KU band satellite. Does anyone know if there is a Sioux Sports Network Schedule? It appears that this game is not being broadcast on KU band Satellite. Either that or I'm not figuring out my satellite remote. Thanks for any help...

squirtcoach,

I watched the game off satellite no prob. Tomorrow's football game will also be on. Send me an e-mail and I'll try to give you a hand. If that doesn't work, call PSB. He's a pretty knowledgable guy, so I'm sure he'll know just what the problem is and how to rectify it.

I agree with forecheck getting screwed out of the puck.

People need to follow the puck rules. I remember when I got a puck that had been shot into the crowd. Given that it hit a girl first, I had to give her the puck. If it hit a guy instead, I would have had to keep the puck and point and laugh at him. :silly:

People who don't follow the rule of the puck, p^ss me off,  Stupid fools.  They should have their tickets revoked.

I believe there are exceptions to some rules. In the case I described above, I believe I should have been able to keep the puck because the two girls were talking through the whole game. It was annoying and they didn't pay attention to the game, which is why she didn't even see the puck coming. However, I went with puck rules and had a trial by a jury of peers and she won the case. :silly:

People who don't follow the rule of the puck, p^ss me off, Stupid fools. They should have their tickets revoked.

In the old REA, I got hit by a puck while shooting photos over the glass. Some students grabbed it before I could. There should be a rule that the person who gets hit with the puck gets to keep it.

In the old REA, I got hit by a puck while shooting photos over the glass. Some students grabbed it before I could. There should be a rule that the person who gets hit with the puck gets to keep it.

When I was a kid at the old REA I was sitting behind the net next to the goal judge and zamboni entrance. (Them was the lean years). A puck was deflected and was traveling really fast, because it hit one of the upper beams towards the end of the stadium and came straight back towards the ice. It whizzed past my ear and hit the glass, leaving a mark. It then proceeded to bounce back off the glass and hit me. I picked it up and handed it to the even younger kid next to me.

Kids should always come first. Unless they are pushing and shoving and being rude.

Alright, my computer screwed up so here's attempt number two at this post.

We won, but here are my thoughts:

The first line and Massen were not playing well (or hard). Canady was also doing a lot of stick-checking which isn't very good. Massen didn't have hustle at all. If he is not 100 percent yet, then I suggest he not play unti SCSU series.

Players who were on their game for the Sioux: Quinn Fylling (1G, 1A) and Robbie Bina (1A). Fylling's goal was the play of the game with Greene's setup pass to McMahon and Porter's unbelievable goal from his knees being the runner up. Bina was all over the place. For a small kid, he knocked people around. He blocked another shot and he always seemed to have great positioning on D. He had several SOG and he really looked confident teamed up with Schneider (who wouldn't?). Federov- Foyt played and got ice time. Not enough though to really make an impact, but he did make some good moves in the offensive zone.

Humorous Moment of the Game: During intermission, those dudes who shoot shirts into the stands using an air gun got one into the press box (or pretty darn close). Pat, did it come your way? Runner up: The dude with the mistletoe. He succeeded three times (once on jumbotron). He also got to harass the refs with it.

Annoying Fan of the game: The dude who stole Forecheck's puck. Randy Schmidt says that the puck was for Forecheck and tosses it her way. It falls down and he retosses it and some dude grabs the puck from just outside Forecheck's reach. What a jerk. To make matters worse, he gets a hat from those jokers who fly the blimps.Runner Up: The dude who was sitting behind me. He was really drunk. When he wasn't distracting me away (I missed the double minor penalty to Murray because of him) from the game he was yelling in my neighbor's ear about how ge got drunk at the Ralph even though he's underage. He even recited the numbers off his fake id. That part wasn't annoying really, but distracting fans away from the game is.

Scariest Moment of the game: Randy Schmidt's injury. 4 stitches. a LOT of blood for 4 stitches. Puck or a stick caught him right above the right eye (I think it was the right eye). Runner Up: Parise slid hard into the boards and was slow getting up. He turned out (to appear) ok.

What the heck call of the game: Double minor to Murray while Grimaldi (U-18) only gets 2 minutes. Don't have specifics on this one but Grimaldi bulldogged Murray (I assume it was Murray) and then the drunk guy hits me on the shoulder and says "Di' I njurr you?" Bastard. Anyways, how do you instigate a penalty and end up better off than your opponent? Bogus.

Players who impressed me on the U-18 team: Hegemo, Pearce, and there was one other but I didn't get his number ( :silly: ). Pearce (the backup goaltender for today's game) was right on and made some fabulous saves. Hegemo (who is going to Minnesota next year) was very good although he did not get a point.)

Players who I was not impressed with on the U-18 team: Carlson (starting goalie), and all their top scorers. Carlson, in warmups, looked very sharp and ended up giving up all the goals. He even got beaten 5 hole on an unbelievable goal by Porter. He has potential to move on, but he'll either have to go DIII or to a juniors team for a year or so to hone his skills. The top scorers I don't think even touched the puck to my knowledge. Lerg did take a faceoff but none of the others were eye catching on the ice.

Overall, I was impressed by this team. They hung in there better than Concordia or even Yale did. The saddest thing is that there was no good mocking going on. How do you mock a team with "USA" on their jerseys? You really can't. Even theSieve chant kinda petered out.

That's all I can think of right now.

RW77,

Not a bad post, but one point I disagree with is Fylling's goal. Although it was nice, Porter's goal, in my opinion, was the best play in an otherwise, lackluster game.

Humorous Moment of the Game: During intermission, those dudes who shoot shirts into the stands using an air gun got one into the press box (or pretty darn close). Pat, did it come your way?

If it was between the first and second periods, it probably happened while I wasn't in the press box. I was off visiting with some of the riff-raff who frequent this board. :silly:

Another one: Last year at the first game during the xmas tourney, a puck hit the seat in front of me with the flat side. It left a puck indent in that chair that lasted all last season. Thank goodness I whiffed while trying to catch that puck and I'll be checking to see if the mark is still there at this years xmas tourney.

Heh, I guess Kolarik did get on the scoreboard.

And I got under Hegemo's skin, I swear. He would start to come towards the student section during warmup,s but then he'd turn around and skate away as soon as I started taunting him and his gophers. Ok, maybe he didn't hear me or he didn't skate away because of my taunting, but I can dream!

As for U-18... I coudln't really taunt them. It's still ticking me off. I could only really taunt Hegemo because he's going to Minnesota. Why couldn't they be the U-18 Cockroaches or something? Throw me a bone here. It's no fun taunting the U.S.

And I got under Hegemo's skin, I swear. He would start to come towards the student section during warmup,s but then he'd turn around and skate away as soon as I started taunting him and his gophers. Ok, maybe he didn't hear me or he didn't skate away because of my taunting, but I can dream!

He skated away because if he had continued coming toward you he would have probably run into the boards. :silly:

Just two additions.

1. The US goal came on a very bad unforced giveaway by Bina. No need to blindly through the puck backwards, especially when you aren't being pressured.

2. It was Hagemo that Porter undressed before scoring.

Game looked like the first fall scrimmage after taking all summer off. Hope they can turn it on by next weekend.

There are too rules. Unwritten rules, but they are still rules. If you get hit by a puck and it wasn't because you are a moron who wasn't paying attention, you get the puck.

People need to learn this rule. I don't want to have to beat it into them. Who am I kidding, yes I do. :silly:

Lundbohm, Hale, Palmoscno, Brandt, Smaby all sat off the top of my head.