SiouxSports.com Forum

darell1976

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

North Dakota #112

Other Dakota teams:

SDSU #58!!

USD #174

NDSU # 208

They predict UND to go 9-16 (5-6 GWC) in DI games only!

Wins against Idaho St, Montana, Western Illinois, NDSU ( 75-70), N.J.I.T., Chicago St, Houston Baptist, Texas Pan American, and Utah Valley.

Are you really using this to determine how good our team, let alone any team is? No one has played any games yet. I mean come on. Did you look at where other teams are ranked? UND is ranked 112 and North Carolina is ranked 115!!! This ranking is obviously not updated yet or legit at all.

Come on man!!!

There is also this: http://realtimerpi.com/ncaab/

RTR College Basketball Power Ratings

RPI ratings can be misleading, especially in the early season. In order to address these issues, we also provide our own college basketball Power Ratings to college basketball fans.

Still has the same predictions and us beating NDSU.

LakotaNolonger says darrell has issues, the rpi if you look at it ranks all the 0-0 teams in no actual order.

Chicago State is #15 , NJIT is #21 and Minnesota is #22?

Not only do you make native americans like myself look stupid with your pandering to our logo, you make yourself look stupid with this stuff.

Go away troll. You make Native Americans like myself look stupid for acting the way you do.

• Upvote 2

LakotaNolonger says darrell has issues, the rpi if you look at it ranks all the 0-0 teams in no actual order.

Chicago State is #15 , NJIT is #21 and Minnesota is #22?

Not only do you make native americans like myself look stupid with your pandering to our logo, you make yourself look stupid with this stuff.

It's actually taking all the 0-0 and just ranking them in order of their SOS.

RPI takes into effect your record, your opponent's record, and your opponent's opponent's record. Considering 95% of teams have yet to play a game, these teams are basically be ranked by the second two of the criteria which in essence is their strength of schedule. That strength of schedule right now is being determined by a bunch of 1-0 teams. I don't really see how this is at all relevant.

RPI takes into effect your record, your opponent's record, and your opponent's opponent's record. Considering 95% of teams have yet to play a game, these teams are basically be ranked by the second two of the criteria which in essence is their strength of schedule. That strength of schedule right now is being determined by a bunch of 1-0 teams. I don't really see how this is at all relevant.

I didn't post it to mean UND is better than North Carolina and others...I just put it out there so people can click on it to see how UND does during the season (remember they only count DI games like Sagarin). I also like to see the predictions and see how they go up or down depending how we do the games before. Like the NDSU game they have us winning 75-70, if UND tanks the first part of the season that will change to the worst, if we kick @ss during the first part our margin of victory will be greater.

I didn't post it to mean UND is better than North Carolina and others...I just put it out there so people can click on it to see how UND does during the season (remember they only count DI games like Sagarin). I also like to see the predictions and see how they go up or down depending how we do the games before. Like the NDSU game they have us winning 75-70, if UND tanks the first part of the season that will change to the worst, if we kick @ss during the first part our margin of victory will be greater.

So why post the rankings?? At this point they mean nothing. And can you really predict a score of a game based on how a team plays other teams throughout the season? I really hope you don't consider this site credibable because it deffinitely is not.

So now we can't even talk about preseason polls? :silly: Wow.

Its not a preseason poll. It's a mathematical equation used to rank teams based on 3 criteria as I stated above. How can you judge teams when the sample size is so tiny right now. Case and point was Michigan Tech being on top of the pairwise after a couple weeks. The ranking system isn't even near relevant until early to mid February. I have no problem talking about preseason polls where there are humans judging the competition based on how they believe they will do, but saying that my team is the best team in the country because my team's record is currently 0-0 and all of my opponent's records and opponent's opponent's records are 1-0 is a joke.

Darrell is overzealous. He realized his mistake (without admitting it) and then did indeed post the websites preseason poll (their power rankiing).

Which I had fun looking at UND's predicted schedules W/L. For which I would like to thank him.

in case you missed it the first time from Darrell: Or did we not click on it cause ya'll got overzealous too.

http://realtimerpi.com/ncaab/Men.html

What part of this isn't a preseason poll/prediction in Darrells first post:

They predict UND to go 9-16 (5-6 GWC) in DI games only!

Wins against Idaho St, Montana, Western Illinois, NDSU ( 75-70), N.J.I.T., Chicago St, Houston Baptist, Texas Pan American, and Utah Valley.

• Upvote 1

I apoligize for getting too excited about UND's ranking without realizing how they came up with it. Yes its impossible to rank teams just on SOS and with a whopping record of 0-0. It was a mistake and its fun to see the predictions like Massey does on his site for football.

The more I look at the RPI rankings, the less sense they make (not a slam toward you Darrell, just an observation). They have NJIT as having an SOS of 20, yet they play the likes of Chicago St. twice (RPI of 15), CSU-Bakersfield twice (RPI of 27), Longwood twice (RPI of 37), and Colgate (RPI of 17). Now, more than likely, all of those teams mentioned will probably finish with RPI's in the 200-300 range.

The more I look at the RPI rankings, the less sense they make (not a slam toward you Darrell, just an observation). They have NJIT as having an SOS of 20, yet they play the likes of Chicago St. twice (RPI of 15), CSU-Bakersfield twice (RPI of 27), Longwood twice (RPI of 37), and Colgate (RPI of 17). Now, more than likely, all of those teams mentioned will probably finish with RPI's in the 200-300 range.

This one is more accurate for SOS.

http://realtimerpi.com/ncaab/Men.html

NJIT SOS is 342

I don't know where they get their numbers in that poll but it makes sense down the road.

The formula is doing what it should with a limited number of games. RPI (as generally defined cross-sport) is simply a team's winning percentage, its opponents' winning percentage, and its opponents' opponents' winning percentage (the above link folds the last two into a single "SOS" measure). Basketball adds a couple tweaks for good wins and bad losses.

When you look at the values instead of the ranks, NJIT has an SOS of .0000, tied with everyone but 8 teams. As described above, RPI isn't seeded with anything like last year's results or polls or anything, so there is no information yet that says NJIT's schedule is any harder or easier than North Carolina's -- both are tied for 9th at .0000.

One point of potential confusion -- of the teams that have non-0 RPIs, Texas A&M jumps out as the only one with an SOS of .0000. That's because the opponents' win% and opponents' opponents' win% (the two components of SOS) exclude games against you, and A&M is the only team to have played a single opponent who hasn't played anyone else. Notice that Liberty also has an SOS of .0000 for the same reason, but their RPI is also 0 because they lost so have a win percentage of 0.

Use KenPom not RPI.

Seeing the ratings is free but seeing the awesome statistical breakdowns costs money. Nonetheless it will give you a much better bearing than this RPI.

www.kenpom.com

Though somewhat meaningless at this point in the season, RPI is the one everyone pays some attention to because its the only rating that's known to be a big part of tournament selection and seeding. However, it should definitely be ignored until mid-season.

KenPom attempts to predict game outcomes, not rank teams based on performance to date this season. Eventually the two come close to converging, but they're very different (but both interesting) measures.