SiouxSports.com Forum

Any thoughts?

mustangfan

Please, please. I'm a fan of the NSIC. Please, have no one rip the NSIC. Give WSU credit, the UND magic in 2003 is simple unreal. WSU just dominated the second half and maybe should've won the game.

36 full rides to 14 for WSU.

Again, I give credit to North Dakota, but Winona is the real deal and they deserve respect BIG TIME!

Props to WSU for their comeback. Like has been stated on this board, you will not win in the playoffs if you're not a good team. Winona, it seems (keep in mind I wasn't able to see the game, just listen to spurts at work) is a good team. From what it sounds like, the Sioux dominated the first half, WSU the 2nd...UND hung in there at the end.

I got my play by play from the message board. Good job guys. Better than listening to Mr. Ed. What impressed my about Winona was the gutsy play calling. Option pass on 4th and 1. Statue of Liberty. I LOVE IT. Winona has nothing to hang their heads over. Great, gutsy game.

Here's hoping the Sioux keep the magic alive another week.

WSU played a great second half - you should be very proud of your team. There better not be anyone bad-mouthing WSU or the NSIC.

Sure WSU was fine but top to bottom the NSIC isnt half as strong as the NCC, why do you think UMD is coming here next season to play in the NCC, its a stronger league in all of their sports. WSU, UMD are good the rest of the team are mediocre. This is another reason UND and the other Division two teams must fight reducing scholarships.

Please, please.  I'm a fan of the NSIC.  Please, have no one rip the NSIC.  Give WSU credit, the UND magic in 2003 is simple unreal.  WSU just dominated the second half and maybe should've won the game.

36 full rides to 14 for WSU.

Again, I give credit to North Dakota, but Winona is the real deal and they deserve respect BIG TIME!

I don't believe that anybody who knows football has done anything other than be complimentary to Winona St. They must have one of the better coaches in the country to be able to accomplish what they have with so few resources. However, instead of living vicariously through Winona St., perhaps SW St. and some of the other NSIC schools could improve their own programs.

I think the NSIC will continue to have a credibility problem if Winona is able to cruise through the league year after year with few if any serious challenges along the way. With UMD leaving, Winona's road just got that much easier.

It would seem that Concordia, Northern St. and maybe Bemidji St. are trying to get better, although they are still a ways off judging by Concordia's performance two weeks ago. As for SW St., Wayne St., UMC and MSU-Moorhead, that's another story altogether. Those teams are brutal.

Through the course of the night I have talked to other knowledgeable football people, and it was agreed that Winona St., while a good team and admirable opponent, is much too gimicy (SP??) for my liking. UNDVince97-01 thought the same thing. Not meaning to take anything away from them, but I wondered what any other posters thought. A RB pass, at least 2 reverses, the OL jumping up at the same time & adjusting gaps, all of the playaction pitches they ran. Too gimicy for me & others.

I think some of these teams (like SMSU ) are trying to get there in money. I've heard we have just as much (like 14-15 rides) as Winona. I'm sure SMSU would like more but it takes time. No the NSIC isn't close to the NCC in football from top to bottom, the point is no one and I mean no one, including me thought an NSIC team would make the playoffs let alone win a game for at least 10 years.

As for UMD leaving for the NCC. Good luck. Leave, finish 3rd in football and they want to move to a "better league". It will all be one conference someday anyway.

I think some of these teams (like SMSU ) are trying to get there in money. I've heard we have just as much (like 14-15 rides) as Winona. I'm sure SMSU would like more but it takes time. No the NSIC isn't close to the NCC in football from top to bottom, the point is no one and I mean no one, including me thought an NSIC team would make the playoffs let alone win a game for at least 10 years.

As for UMD leaving for the NCC. Good luck. Leave, finish 3rd in football and they want to move to a "better league". It will all be one conference someday anyway.

The only way I see the NCC and the NSIC being in one conference is when the NSIC makes a committment to fully fund 36 football scholarships. IOr if UND moves to division 1AA in Football. Thats the problems athletic departments from lesser schools in Division II want to limit the number of football scholarships because they can't afford to keep up with the UND's, Carson Neuman, UNA's and other big schools in Division II football.

I mean really who wants to see UND clobber Northern State and BSU in football, most of us are tired of seeing UND dismantle UMC them every year.

I have to admit I thought the NSIC was a chump conference compared to the NCC and thought UND would throttle them. By the way things were at half - it would have been easy for the Warriors to bail at halftime and called it a good season but they came out and gave the Sioux a great run for their money - more than a great run really - they just ran into what every other team (except Mesa) has encountered this season. The NSIC did some earn some respect with this performance! With NDStinkU and SDSU trying to find a league they can win in - We welcome UMD and we'd be glad to welcome Winona if they'd make a committment to provide more scholarships - you guys have already proven you can play a pretty good game with limited #'s - turn it into something you will really enjoy and get the ball rolling to lift up all your programs. Winona's a great football town...time to take it big time guys!

I have to admit I thought the NSIC was a chump conference compared to the NCC and thought UND would throttle them. By the way things were at half - it would have been easy for the Warriors to bail at halftime and called it a good season but they came out and gave the Sioux a great run for their money - more than a great run really - they just ran into what every other team (except Mesa) has encountered this season. The NSIC did some earn some respect with this performance! With NDStinkU and SDSU trying to find a league they can win in - We welcome UMD and we'd be glad to welcome Winona if they'd make a committment to provide more scholarships - you guys have already proven you can play a pretty good game with limited #'s - turn it into something you will really enjoy and get the ball rolling to lift up all your programs. Winona's a great football town...time to take it big time guys!

Thats right I however, don't want to see them come to our league and then lobby to get the number of scholarships lowered to even up the playing field.

Through the course of the night I have talked to other knowledgeable football people, and it was agreed that Winona St., while a good team and admirable opponent, is much too gimicy (SP??) for my liking. UNDVince97-01 thought the same thing. Not meaning to take anything away from them, but I wondered what any other posters thought. A RB pass, at least 2 reverses, the OL jumping up at the same time & adjusting gaps, all of the playaction pitches they ran. Too gimicy for me & others.

I agree all the trick plays worked well and WSU ran the plays well. How long will that type of offense work? If they were in the NCC, good teams would see the offense every year and be able to ajust accordingly. I think the offense would still work, but they would not score nearly as many points over the course of a season.

WSU is a good team, I was especially impressed with them on defense. I am not sure how good the defense is though, because the UND offense did not play most of the second half. Joe Wilson had a lot of WR's open and did not get the ball to them.

UND needs to feel fortunate that they won, considering the offense did not show up for most of the second half. Watching the game I felt bad for the defense, those guys didn't get a break in the second half. Tough to play when you don't get any time at all to rest and make adjustments.

UND needs to play the entire game next week as good or better then they played the first half yesterday, or UNA will probably stomp them. I hope home field advantage for UND and the long trip has an effect on the UNA football team.

I would like to see Tom Sawyers playbook! WSU ran like 20 trick plays during the game, how many of these plays does he have installed in the offense?

I was at the game Saturday and while the win was exciting, it felt empty.

WSU deserves credit for their performance Saturday. They truly dominated UND in the second half. But it's a sad state of affairs for UND football that we're playing an NSIC team on even terms. 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago, UND would have dismantled WSU like a bad high school team. On Saturday, they gave us all that we could handle and then some.

Like it or not, the Winona States of this world are now the future of DII football and UND either needs to get used to being an "equal" to these programs or we need to move on.

I might be wrong, but I think Winona's success will make things even worse for DII football. Other NSIC schools (and inferior teams across the country) will see that their efforts to water-down DII are generally working and they will become even more emboldened to continue the watering-down process to become even more competitive with the UND's of the DII world.

WSU played well enough to win, but didn't. NSIC teams and fans have to learn some things from this, one of them being, respect will come with time, it doesn't happen over night or over the course of a couple playoff seasons. Going around and asking for respect all the time, especially on other team's message boards isn't the way to do it. Winning big games on the field on a consistent basis will gain you the respect you are hoping for.

Winona deserves respect.....they played their hearts out....trick plays or not...if UND defense was assignment sharp.....they would not have been a factor...but UND wasnt assignment sharp....when # 15 came into the game at HB would have been good to see he wasnt their every down RB and known something was up......UND defense will need all 4 quarters on Saturday....UNA looks scarey on offense....