SiouxSports.com Forum

Looking back on the last decade.

2ndGenSiouxFan

I'm a frequent reader of the forums, for several years now, and don't take the time to post very often, but I have to say I'm surprised that no one has started a similar topic to this yet, and moreso that the herald has not run an article on it.

The last decade has truly been enjoyable to have been a part of (as a fan), and has resulted in many steps forward for our beloved program, though one could coin it as the 'decade of missed opportunities.' We've seen incredibly talented individuals and teams come through, and our program has become a perennial powerhouse, while dealing with adversity stemming from our 'Hostile and Abusive' nickname, to league realignment. One could go on and elaborate on these things in much greater detail...

I would like to see a write-up (or did I perhaps miss one?) on this, or maybe I'm jumping the gun on the next 'Fight on Sioux' type of book.

If that's the case, and I'm in fact jumping the gun, then I hope we get #'s 8 - 12 in decade #2.

I'm a frequent reader of the forums, for several years now, and don't take the time to post very often, but I have to say I'm surprised that no one has started a similar topic to this yet, and moreso that the herald has not run an article on it.

The last decade has truly been enjoyable to have been a part of (as a fan), and has resulted in many steps forward for our beloved program, though one could coin it as the 'decade of missed opportunities.' We've seen incredibly talented individuals and teams come through, and our program has become a perennial powerhouse, while dealing with adversity stemming from our 'Hostile and Abusive' nickname, to league realignment. One could go on and elaborate on these things in much greater detail...

I would like to see a write-up (or did I perhaps miss one?) on this, or maybe I'm jumping the gun on the next 'Fight on Sioux' type of book.

If that's the case, and I'm in fact jumping the gun, then I hope we get #'s 8 - 12 in decade #2.

I think this is what you were looking for...from last January...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/189974/

As hockey fans, we're a spoiled bunch with The Ralph, the coaching, the players and the whole Fighting Sioux Hockey Program. Another area we've been spoiled in is with the coverage we enjoy. Brad's wrote a lot of great articles on Sioux hockey and this article is one of the best. Other fans can only dream about reading articles like this about their favorite team.

Whenever there's a transition, you wonder if the next coach will be as good as the last one. Will Dean Blais be as good as Gino? Will Dave Hakstol be as good as Dean? Then the transition happens and each time they take the program to new heights. The same could be said with the transition from Virg Foss to Brad. We continually got the best coverage throughout Virg's time. Then Brad takes over and you wonder if we'll continue to enjoy the great articles 12 months each year. Just like with the hockey program, the print coverage continues to be raised to new heights. Thanks Brad.

• Upvote 4

Hear Hear with what Rick says of the program, facility and the best coverage in college hockey.

We are a spoiled bunch.

Let's not forget this forum that Jim Dahl so generously provides for our fan experience, either.

We are a lucky bunch.

Ha!!! I was thinking about how great it is to be fans of a program that gets called a bunch of Hacks/Goons, but is also resonsible for the demise of college hockey and were hostile and abusive. The hate from other programs keeps me warm on the cold winters night up here in Grand Forks... I think UND Hockey is one of the best hockey programs in the nation and it's fun to watch them play. I think Sioux hockey and Duck Hunting are sare some of the reasons I still live in ND. I couldn't imgaine cheering from some of the other sub par programs like UAA, MSU-M or LSSU.

Ha!!! I was thinking about how great it is to be fans of a program that gets called a bunch of Hacks/Goons, but is also resonsible for the demise of college hockey and were hostile and abusive. The hate from other programs keeps me warm on the cold winters night up here in Grand Forks... I think UND Hockey is one of the best hockey programs in the nation and it's fun to watch them play. I think Sioux hockey and Duck Hunting are sare some of the reasons I still live in ND. I couldn't imgaine cheering from some of the other sub par programs like UAA, MSU-M or LSSU.

I read somewhere (maybe it was the forum here) someone likening UND Hockey to yankee baseball. I tried not to agree with the statement, but the more I think about it its true. People criticize every move made by the Yankees (true of the Sioux)....they have a huge fan base all over the nation (true of the Sioux).....and outsiders, whether they are man enough to admit it or not are jealous of the success and tradition of the Yankees (completely true of the Sioux).

UND has become the team at the Final Five that other fans cheer against....It all makes sense now. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Ouch. I realize it has been a while, but if it wasn't for the 1993 Paul Kariya-led Maine Black Bears, the Lake Superior State University Lakers would be the only back-to-back-to-back hockey champions in semi-recent history. Comparing them to programs like UAA and MSU-M is hardly fair.

Hear Hear with what Rick says of the program, facility and the best coverage in college hockey.

We are a spoiled bunch.

Let's not forget this forum that Jim Dahl so generously provides for our fan experience, either.

We are a lucky bunch.

I can't believe this this forum has been around 11 years and I have been on it almost that long. That's crazy.

Ouch. I realize it has been a while, but if it wasn't for the 1993 Paul Kariya-led Maine Black Bears, the Lake Superior State University Lakers would be the only back-to-back-to-back hockey champions in semi-recent history. Comparing them to programs like UAA and MSU-M is hardly fair.

Post Jeff Jackson era they haven't been all that good, but good point UAA, SCSU and MSU-M have done nothing on the National stage...

I read somewhere (maybe it was the forum here) someone likening UND Hockey to yankee baseball. I tried not to agree with the statement, but the more I think about it its true. People criticize every move made by the Yankees (true of the Sioux)....they have a huge fan base all over the nation (true of the Sioux).....and outsiders, whether they are man enough to admit it or not are jealous of the success and tradition of the Yankees (completely true of the Sioux).

UND has become the team at the Final Five that other fans cheer against....It all makes sense now. ;)

Don't forget we learned from the Clueless moron fans on USCHO that UND and DU are solely responsible for blowing up college hockey this season.