SiouxSports.com Forum

His problem is gone.

The Sicatoka

We've long heard from folks like Leigh Jeanotte (Director of Native American Programs at UND) how the "Fighting Sioux" moniker is detrimental to UND's programs for Native Americans (NAs).

Well, Leigh's gotten his wish. The moniker is gone.

Now it's time for Leigh to prove to all of us that he was really right all along. Here's a way for Leigh to do that:

It's my expectation that UND's Native American population will come into alignment with the general population of the state. Last time I checked the state is roughly 9% NAs yet UND is only about 4% NAs*. To get UND into alignment, which should be far easier now that the moniker is gone (according to Leigh et al), will only take five years at 15% (year over year) NA enrollment growth.

Secondly, I'd expect NAs graduation rates to look as good as the general student population and probably as good as the athletes. The NA students have lost this distraction so they should be able to focus on studies and graduation. I think NA programs should measure themselves like the NCAA measures teams and post their APR going forward.

Those are performance criteria I'll be looking for. Feel free to add yours here.

The barriers and hurdles are gone. Let's see UND's Native American programs perform on their claim that the moniker was holding them back.

*UND has more enrolled NAs than U of Minnesota and U of Wisconsin combined at last check.

• Upvote 1

We've long heard from folks like Leigh Jeanotte (Director of Native American Programs at UND) how the "Fighting Sioux" moniker is detrimental to UND's programs for Native Americans (NAs).

Well, Leigh's gotten his wish. The moniker is gone.

Now it's time for Leigh to prove to all of us that he was really right all along. Here's a way for Leigh to do that:

It's my expectation that UND's Native American population will come into alignment with the general population of the state. Last time I checked the state is roughly 9% NAs yet UND is only about 4% NAs*. To get UND into alignment, which should be far easier now that the moniker is gone (according to Leigh et al), will only take five years at 15% (year over year) NA enrollment growth.

Secondly, I'd expect NAs graduation rates to look as good as the general student population and probably as good as the athletes. The NA students have lost this distraction so they should be able to focus on studies and graduation. I think NA programs should measure themselves like the NCAA measures teams and post their APR going forward.

Those are performance criteria I'll be looking for. Feel free to add yours here.

The barriers and hurdles are gone. Let's see UND's Native American programs perform on their claim that the moniker was holding them back.

*UND has more enrolled NAs than U of Minnesota and U of Wisconsin combined at last check.

I too would love to see the American Indian population of the state, and for that matter, the nation come into par with the rest of society on those issues. I am not so delusional to believe that a nickname and logo change will precipitate those changes. From my conversations with Leigh, he doesn't either. His opposition to the monikers always revolved around his belief that it was wrong to objectify a race/culture of people, and in his, words, reduce those actual people (who are still alive to see it) to a nickname that could be ridiculed and mocked by opposing fans. I argued with him about this logic and the fact that the name actually honors the Great Sioux People, but he was entrenched in his belief. More power to him. However, never did he say to me that the elimination of the name would solve all American Indian problems instantly or even with time. I may have missed it, and I know other opponents have made this ludicrous claim, but I don't think it was Leigh.

I would not be offended if you prove me wrong. I would welcome the enlightenment so I could call up Leigh and have one of our great debates.

Anyway, again, I too hope that one day the plights of the American Indian can be more inline with the rest of Americans, if not eliminated totally.

Personally, I hope that all native american funding is pulled and given to other programs. We now have no ties to any native american references so instead I would prefer they spend the money on something that can help advance the school.

This is possibly the worst thing that they could do. Blatently pulling funding to programs for an entire race is not only very ethically and morally wrong, but also IMHO illegal. We should not punish a portion of our unversity students because of a nickname, and I am one of the biggest proponents out there for keeping the name,

• Upvote 1

I too would love to see the American Indian population of the state, and for that matter, the nation come into par with the rest of society on those issues. I am not so delusional to believe that a nickname and logo change will precipitate those changes. From my conversations with Leigh, he doesn't either. His opposition to the monikers always revolved around his belief that it was wrong to objectify a race/culture of people, and in his, words, reduce those actual people (who are still alive to see it) to a nickname that could be ridiculed and mocked by opposing fans. I argued with him about this logic and the fact that the name actually honors the Great Sioux People, but he was entrenched in his belief. More power to him. However, never did he say to me that the elimination of the name would solve all American Indian problems instantly or even with time. I may have missed it, and I know other opponents have made this ludicrous claim, but I don't think it was Leigh.

I would not be offended if you prove me wrong. I would welcome the enlightenment so I could call up Leigh and have one of our great debates.

Anyway, again, I too hope that one day the plights of the American Indian can be more inline with the rest of Americans, if not eliminated totally.

Here has been the biggest issue I have with this whole thing. I am not going to tell someone how to feel or what to believe as it isn't my place, but if this is actually the case then why are schools in reservations all across ND using nicknames such as the Braves and Warriors? If this is the belief then I am totally ok with that, but the double standard must be fixed and nicknames for all schools shouldn't be anything to do with a group of people, including those schools located on the reservation.

Here has been the biggest issue I have with this whole thing. I am not going to tell someone how to feel or what to believe as it isn't my place, but if this is actually the case then why are schools in reservations all across ND using nicknames such as the Braves and Warriors? If this is the belief then I am totally ok with that, but the double standard must be fixed and nicknames for all schools shouldn't be anything to do with a group of people, including those schools located on the reservation.

That was the crux of my debate with Leigh..... he did not like those nicknames on the reservations, either, but in those cases they were chosen by the people they represent, so I think it settled with him a little easier. I always said that that kind of inconsistency is what makes it hard for non-natives to understand the whole controversy and offer any support. It's kinda like where the "N" word can only be used by a particular set of people. I don't think it's right, but it's become generally accepted, for better or worse. Mostly worse.

One big issue that Mr. Leigh will have to deal with in his attempt to get the Native American population up (which of course was his goal in the first place....I hope) will be getting more Native American students to qualify academically to attend the university. One of the qualifications for college is obviously graduation, and Native American students unfortunately have a drop out rate that is twice that of the national average. I think the university would love to see more Native American students, but it isn't possible with the test scores we are seeing via NCLB. As an educator, the statistics we get back through state assessment and NWEA testing is staggering.

I said it a while back when this issue was first starting. There are so many issues that Native Americans are facing today, like alcoholism, diabetes, poor living conditions on reservations, graduating young men and women, you name it. Why a nickname fight would be the on the forefront of issues that come into the headlines is beyond me. And of course, with an issue like this comes negative publicity, which puts those other issues further away from the limelight.

Personally, I hope that all native american funding is pulled and given to other programs. We now have no ties to any native american references so instead I would prefer they spend the money on something that can help advance the school.

Come on!!! That's ridiculous, statements like that are unacceptable. We shouldn't pull any funding for NA programs.

This is possibly the worst thing that they could do. Blatently pulling funding to programs for an entire race is not only very ethically and morally wrong, but also IMHO illegal. We should not punish a portion of our unversity students because of a nickname, and I am one of the biggest proponents out there for keeping the name,

Totally agree. Nothing would prove opponents' claims that, we care nothing about American Indians and only want "our" nickname, more than eliminating our fine American Indian programs at UND over this issue. These programs are the envy of the nation and are present at UND for far greater reasons than the fact that our nickname and logo has been the Fighting Sioux for the past 80 years.

That was the crux of my debate with Leigh..... he did not like those nicknames on the reservations, either, but in those cases they were chosen by the people they represent, so I think it settled with him a little easier. I always said that that kind of inconsistency is what makes it hard for non-natives to understand the whole controversy and offer any support. It's kinda like where the "N" word can only be used by a particular set of people. I don't think it's right, but it's become generally accepted, for better or worse. Mostly worse.

To me that is just a PR saying, if he truly had a problem with it then he would speak out against it just as much as he does against the Fighting Sioux nickname. It sounds good to say things like "well I don't like those either". Actions speak louder then words though, prove to me you don't like those either and stand up against them as well. At that point I will agree with him and agree with him on dropping the name, until that happens I won't buy it for one second.