SiouxSports.com Forum

Cupcake beats Mich. St.

sprig

This game got me thinking (a dangerous thing, to be sure). It seems to me that we see more games where the team that dominates possession, shots and play either loses or barely survives than we used to. I don't know whether this is true or not, but it seems that way to me. It may just be the result of being a Sioux fan the last few years, where we saw it a lot. Still, though, I have noticed it a lot this year. I recall that SCSU badly outshot Princeton and barely won. Michigan did the same with a MAAC squad.

If I assume that this phenomenon is true, then what is the cause? Is it because college goaltending is better than ever, partly due to goaltending equipement? Is it a lack of finishing talent on offense?

I considered the trapping, defensive systems as a cause, but I'm not sure that's it, since that should prevent the dominance in shots as well as keeping the score down. Any ideas?

I'm not sure the trap is going to limit shots specifically, but it will definitely limit the number of quality shots and second opportunities off rebounds. I would think scoring chances would be a better indicator of dominance when looking at teams that play a defensive style.

In my opinion, better goaltending and a focus on defense overall has allowed "inferior" teams to keep scores close.

All I can say is that I'm glad this bizarre trend isn't only happening to UND. A team that badly outshoots another points out the obvious: one team has considerably more offensive talent but maybe not necessarily a better defense or goalie. Combine that with a close-checking game (neutral zone or left-wing trap), some well-conditioned guys & a hot goalie & I guess anything's possible. Dunno for sure, but it sure is frustrating for fans of decidedly "better" teams. Surprising that Wayne St. pulled this off as they lost a boatload of seniors last year...

In my opinion, better goaltending and a focus on defense overall has allowed "inferior" teams to keep scores close.

Must .... resist .... temptation .... to mention .... last .... we-e-e-e-ekend. :p:glare:

The trap; right-wing lock; weak-wing high; one-man forecheck; whatever you want to call it, recent history shows that focusing on defense first and counter-punching the other team's turnovers and other mistakes can win games.

PS - I read the title of this thread and "man bites dog" flashed in my head for some reason. :D

I don't know whether this is true or not, but it seems that way to me. It may just be the result of being a Sioux fan the last few years, where we saw it a lot. Still, though, I have noticed it a lot this year. I recall that SCSU badly outshot Princeton and barely won. Michigan did the same with a MAAC squad.

If I assume that this phenomenon is true, then what is the cause? Is it because college goaltending is better than ever, partly due to goaltending equipement? Is it a lack of finishing talent on offense?

Could the goaltender who sees few shots lose his edge?