SiouxSports.com Forum

Top 75 Stars of Tomorrow

DMT

"Parise is the latest Devils prospect that will soon make Lou Lamoriello look like a genius."

"Next season, Vanek will add more punch to Buffalo's growing offensive arsenal up front."

Interesting. Would be nice if they made their comments a little longer so readers could gain a better perspective on the various players...

What's a bigger assumption, Vanek leaving after this year or there being a NHL season for '04-'05?

I don't think these are very big assumptions. The NHL will probably strike a "last minute" deal & we'll all breathe a sigh of relief when hockey isn't interrupted. Vanek will most likely be adios-he was supposed to stay another year in college to work on his all-around game but we can see that he needs a lot of improvement still with his defensive game...

If the CBA gets signed, Vanek and perhaps Parise will be gone. But if it isn't signed, UND at least will be in a recruiting mess because Parise will probably stay. I would also say Vanek would stay as well.

RR77,

If there isn't a lockout, where do you think they will go? Of course they will be back in that situation. In all likelihood, they aren't going to leave college for the Russian Elite League.

And, under any situation, I don't envision a "recruiting mess." For sure, UND loses Lundbohm, Palmo and Hale after this season, all forwards. As of now, DB is expecting letters from two forwards, Zajac and Rylan Kaip. If Parise left, UND would be down four forwards, but bringing in two forwards. But, as it stands we lose three and bring in two at forward - at this point.

Based on what you say, it would be a mess if Parise stayed. How do you figure? UND would have one of the best players in the nation back in uniform. They lose Lundbohm, who will join the century club, but is replaceable; they lose Palmo who hasn't played a whole lot in his career; they lose Hale who is a fourth liner when not playing defense; and they bring in Zajac who is leading the BCHL in scoring!

The "mess" comes if there isn't a lockout; UND risks losing a lot more than just Parise. Think Bochenski, think Greene, think Schneider, think Jones. At the last Sioux Boosters in Fargo, DB said, from his perspective, those five could all be gone after this year if the situation is right for those players.

I hate to say this, but I hope there is a lockout and I hope all the players that should be back come back. If they do, opponents will have a real hard time keeping up with UND next year.

Even if there is a lockout, players could still sign and play in the AHL couldn't they?  Some clubs would rather have the players developing in their organization.

I would assume a player of Parise/Vanek quality would sign (at minimum) a two way contract with a healthy bonus. Wouldn't the lock-out prevent such an animal? I don't know but I assume someone will.

I believe the AHL clubs are separately run/owned organizations for the most part. However, they are *affiliated* with the NHL clubs for purposes of being a farm team. If there is a strike/lockout, I think there will be a flood of NHL players heading to the AHL, ECHL, UHL, etc., as well as various Euro teams, to collect a paycheck and to stay in some semblance of game shape. This could make it difficult for draft choices to move from MJ or college into the pro ranks at any level. It makes it difficult for college players especially, because if they leave early and can't land a spot on a "pro" team, they can't go back to college. Moreover, I can't imagine too many clubs wanting their top draft choices floating around in the backwater leagues on their dime and not really developing their game, especially if it looks like any work stoppage could go a year or so. I would think most teams would advise their best prospects to sit tight, unless they could virtually guarantee them a spot on their AHL affiliate, but those guys are also fighting for the same spot.

Some clubs would rather have the players developing in their organization.

Agreed, but some players such as Parise would rather stay in college than play in the minors (this is based on what ZP has said several times in past interviews; he and DB have both made it clear that ZP wants to jump right into the NHL when ready.) Of course, if there is a lockout and it lasts two years or more and ZP graduates that is a entirely different situation.

I believe the AHL clubs are separately run/owned organizations for the most part.  However, they are *affiliated* with the NHL clubs for purposes of being a farm team.  If there is a strike/lockout, I think there will be a flood of NHL players heading to the AHL, ECHL, UHL, etc., as well as various Euro teams, to collect a paycheck and to stay in some semblance of game shape. 

During the 94 lockout I remember seeing, and playing a lot of pick up hockey with ex-UMD NHLers, so I don't think you'll see a flood of players to other leagues. I heard the head of the NHLPA on KFAN about a month ago, and he made the statement that the NHLPA had sent a letter to its member warning them to be prepared to go a full year without a paycheck. Apparently in 94 a lot of players were not prepared and had to get loans to live. What a shock to find out pro athletes can't manage their money :0

Maybe someone can answer this question. Does the NHL team pay both sides of a two way contract or does the AHL team pay while a player is down and the NHL team pay when their called up??

If I'm Praise and Vanek, I don't accept a two way contract. A first round pick is probably guaranteed NHL money.

To summarize: STAY IN SCHOOL!!! :silly:

What's a bigger assumption, Vanek leaving after this year or there being a NHL season for '04-'05?

If the Gophers keep playing like they are playing now I guarentee he will go to the pro's assuming no lock out. What motivation will a player have if he wins a national championship and the goes to the basement of the WCHA... If the NHL plays next year he will be there, unless the Gophers turn it around.