SiouxSports.com Forum

Here we go again

PCM

There's an article in today's Grand Forks Herald about a teepee that was set up in front of Memorial Union on campus being disturbed. Why is this even news?

University Police Chief Duane Czapiewski said a number of empty beer cans and a 12-pack box was found burned in a fire pit inside the teepee, and informational papers for the public about the teepee also were burned.

He said police received a complaint about the incident Friday morning. Two beer cans were kept by police as evidence.

Czapiewski said, for now, the matter is being treated as criminal mischief, and that any determination on whether a civil rights violation or hate crime had occurred would have to be made at a later date.

How in the bloody blue hell could this be a hate crime? A bunch of dopes used the teepee, which had a fire pit in it, to burn some of their garbage and the pamplets because they were lying around. Whoopteedoo. Who cares.

Oh no the anti-name PC Nazis are already making this a hate crime and have tied to the racist UND Fighting Sioux name and are probably demanding we should immediately change the name before tonights game.

Someone burned paper in a fire pit.

Sounds like we're missing a lot of 'news' from campgrounds every weekend.

They found empty beer cans on a college campus.

Next they'll tell us they found textbooks in a campus bookstore.

However, I shall be alerting the ACLU about a "sacred" teepee on public grounds, on the campus of a public institution.

Imagine if the "sacred" thing wasn't a teepee but maybe say a Christian manger scene or a Jewish menorah.

Hey, this game is kinda fun. ???

However, I shall be alerting the ACLU about a "sacred" teepee on public grounds, on the campus of a public institution.

Imagine if the "sacred" thing wasn't a teepee but maybe say a Christian manger scene or a Jewish menorah.

Hey, this game is kinda fun. :D

I agree. Regardless of the group involved, no religious or spiritual displays should be allowed on a publicly funded university campus. I went through this same thing when I wanted to conduct human sacrifices in the Fish Bowl of the Chester Fritz library. No, maybe that was when I threw up behind the library on my way to a Minnesota game ... it's all a blur. :lol:???

You know the Herald - They'll take ANY chance to stir up the nickname issue again. This was not news - at least not worthy of a front page story in the local section. If anything it should have been a 1" column on the back page. If the teepee had been trashed or painted up - that's one thing. A couple drunks walking by stumbled in - BIG DEAL - who knows, it could have even been Native Americans (GASP!!) MEANWHILE - a guy missing since thursday in TRF finally got a little mention on PAGE 9 of Sundays Herald - that's our PUKELITZER PRIZE WINNER PAPER!

I thought journalists were supposed to report news, not create it.

Wouldn't like to be the reporter who gets mickey-mouse assignments like that. (Editor talking to newbie reporter) "Okay, Billy, being you're fresh out of college & you're the low man on the totem pole, I want you to go to the campus & sensationalize this so we'll have a hot topic for the next month & don't have to drag out the awful beet-smell theme in EGF anymore. Hop to it!"