SiouxSports.com Forum

Radio Voice

bincitysioux

I'm somewhat stunned by this development.

I found the situation where RadioFM (790 KFGO/740 The Fan KVOX) was home of Bison Athletics on the radio but the RadioFM sports director was also the voice of UND Football to be a most peculiar alignment. That was Dan Hammer.

No, wait. Now it's Jack (former NDSU first base man, " ... track it down, Marge! ... " ) Michaels.

Compound that with (as someone mentioned) that RadioFM (740) has picked up the official NCAA broadcast of all three Frozen Four games. (Here's where I tell you to listen to 970 WDAY-AM and Tim Hennessy. Don't be fooled.)

Part of me wonders if KFGO isn't having "buyers remorse" when it comes to local college athletics if they are picking up "a regional niche sport" Frozen Four broadcast and are going back to a most peculiar, almost contradictory, sports director alignment (where your sports director is the voice of the rival of who the station carries).

Say what you will, but I'm quite sure that the T-wolves or Wild (or Bison M/WBB) don't draw as many listeners in Fargo-Moorhead on a Friday or Saturday night as Fighting Sioux Hockey did.

I agree with all that as well.

As far as Jack Michaels doing play-by-play for UND................I think this is a huge coup.......

I'm sure alot already know, but I'm sure some don't as well.............for those who have not heard him, Michaels is probably the most talented play-by-play voice between Minneapolis and Spokane..........Dan Hammer was fun, because he was a known regional name, and was basically a Sioux homer while on the air, but he was/is nowhere even remotely close to in the same category as Jack Michaels when comes to play-by-play and describing what is happening on a football field. I'm not a fan of Ed Schultz, the man, but I've always said there has been no better football announcer in our region (UND or NDSU) than he was. I've long thought that Michaels was a close second to Ed. We are definately in for a treat when we tune the radio in for Sioux football in the future.

Jack is very professional. He's hosted a 3 hour sports show out of Bismarck for the last 5 or 6 years. In that time he's covered all bases including Twins, Vikings, T-Wolves, UND, NDSU, UMary, Redhawks, Fargo North, Bismarck Century, Beulah, and Carrington. As a former NDSU athlete, I'm sure his allegiance will always lie with NDSU, but as I said, the guy is gifted and a total professional and just seems to love covering sports and working in radio.

As far as Bisonville imploding because "one of their own" has gone to the "dark side"....................I find it comical. They forget that Ed Schultz called both NDSU and UND games. They're oblivous to the fact that Scott Miller, whom they've all but canonized, spent several years calling Sioux games. They loathe Dan Hammer simply because he called Sioux games despite the fact that he spent 90% of his time in radio and tv in the Fargo market wooing NDSU. It's absurd. Radio, even more than TV, is a very volatile and fluid industry. We were lucky to have talented guys like Scott Miller, Ed Schultz, Dan Hammer, and now Jack Michaels. Let's enjoy it. It is rare to have a Tim Hennessey as long as we've had. Hopefully Jack Michaels sticks around for awhile. We'd be lucky.

I agree with all that as well.

As far as Jack Michaels doing play-by-play for UND................I think this is a huge coup.......

I'm sure alot already know, but I'm sure some don't as well.............for those who have not heard him, Michaels is probably the most talented play-by-play voice between Minneapolis and Spokane..........Dan Hammer was fun, because he was a known regional name, and was basically a Sioux homer while on the air, but he was/is nowhere even remotely close to in the same category as Jack Michaels when comes to play-by-play and describing what is happening on a football field. I'm not a fan of Ed Schultz, the man, but I've always said there has been no better football announcer in our region (UND or NDSU) than he was. I've long thought that Michaels was a close second to Ed. We are definately in for a treat when we tune the radio in for Sioux football in the future.

Jack is very professional. He's hosted a 3 hour sports show out of Bismarck for the last 5 or 6 years. In that time he's covered all bases including Twins, Vikings, T-Wolves, UND, NDSU, UMary, Redhawks, Fargo North, Bismarck Century, Beulah, and Carrington. As a former NDSU athlete, I'm sure his allegiance will always lie with NDSU, but as I said, the guy is gifted and a total professional and just seems to love covering sports and working in radio.

As far as Bisonville imploding because "one of their own" has gone to the "dark side"....................I find it comical. They forget that Ed Schultz called both NDSU and UND games. They're oblivous to the fact that Scott Miller, whom they've all but canonized, spent several years calling Sioux games. They loathe Dan Hammer simply because he called Sioux games despite the fact that he spent 90% of his time in radio and tv in the Fargo market wooing NDSU. It's absurd. Radio, even more than TV, is a very volatile and fluid industry. We were lucky to have talented guys like Scott Miller, Ed Schultz, Dan Hammer, and now Jack Michaels. Let's enjoy it. It is rare to have a Tim Hennessey as long as we've had. Hopefully Jack Michaels sticks around for awhile. We'd be lucky.

Agreed. Getting Jack Michaels is a huge coup. And Jack is a professional. While we're at it, let's add another broadcast name out of the past in Boyd Christenson. Boyd is a UND graduate who spent years calling play-by-play for the Bison. Did Bison fans complain about that as well, or was that a more benign era?

• Upvote 1

As I've posted before, I am a NDSU Bison fan. I cannot believe that people are POd about this (bison fans). As far as broadcasting sporting events goes in the state of north dakota, UND football is in the top 3 jobs. If someone comes calling, you have to listen!

Jack is an absolutely great radio play-by-play guy. I've listened to him broadcast Umary football and basketball out here in the last few years and he makes the game fun to listen to. He is NOT a Tim Hennesey (Glen Sonmor, any college hockey radio guy) homer. He is a straight up professional and even though I am a Bison fan I will also listen to UND football due to Jack. On top of how good he is at his job, he is an absolutely great individual, just a class act any way you can shake it.

As far as the radio show goes. He will be great at professional sports, particularly baseball. He will be very good at the local and national college sports scene, as well as High School sports. UND fans need to understand up front that he is not going to break down the Sioux hockey team, he will need to rely on others to fill that void...he is definitely not a hockey guy.

Congrats to Jack and best of luck to you.

• Upvote 3

As I've posted before, I am a NDSU Bison fan. I cannot believe that people are POd about this (bison fans). As far as broadcasting sporting events goes in the state of north dakota, UND football is in the top 3 jobs. If someone comes calling, you have to listen!

Jack is an absolutely great radio play-by-play guy. I've listened to him broadcast Umary football and basketball out here in the last few years and he makes the game fun to listen to. He is NOT a Tim Hennesey (Glen Sonmor, any college hockey radio guy) homer. He is a straight up professional and even though I am a Bison fan I will also listen to UND football due to Jack. On top of how good he is at his job, he is an absolutely great individual, just a class act any way you can shake it.

As far as the radio show goes. He will be great at professional sports, particularly baseball. He will be very good at the local and national college sports scene, as well as High School sports. UND fans need to understand up front that he is not going to break down the Sioux hockey team, he will need to rely on others to fill that void...he is definitely not a hockey guy.

Thanks for the objectivity, Johnny. +1

I quite agree. Having listened to Jack call games for the RedHawks as well as football, I think Jack is extremely well qualified and is fun to listen to. He is professional to the nth degree. I have no problem at all his splitting his time that way. Team announcers in major league baseball often are called on to do regional games for the Fox network. From an objective standpoint I really can't see what all the fuss is about.

I know Jack on a personal level and they really don't come much nicer than him. He comes from a very nice family and he also takes the time to visit with people (and kids). I know my son was very happy when he met Jack and he kidded around with him. We have ourselves a great play-by-play man.

Classy post Johnny Five, but Jack Michaels seems knowledgeable about hockey. For his 1st show today, he had Mike Peluso(Minnesota-Duluth), Justin Theel(Notre Dame) & Mitch Vig(UND) on to talk about the Frozen Four, he seemed to know what he was talking about. Jack looks to be very well rounded, looking forward to having him here in Fargo and doing Fighting Sioux football this fall.

LB, my point is he needs those guys or callers to talk hockey. Hammer could touch on lines, or PP, etc. Jack will not do that. He even said today something like, "the people out in williston are shocked that I'm talking hockey right now."....in jest. anyway, like i said, great hire, great guy.

I just sent a note to Michaels congratulating him on his new job and especially on his being named to handle the play-by-play of UND FB games this fall.

In case others want to do the same thing, his e-mail address is: jackmichaels@radiofargomoorhead.com