SiouxSports.com Forum

Mallards or Fighting Mallards

Ole in MSP

Not sure if this one has been posted before, but after watching the "Blue Hens" of Delaware play our new future opponent EWU, Mallards or Fighting Mallards might be an option for the new name. Lots of them in ND and the green heads etc may have lots of oppty for a mascot in the coloring scheme for some artist i.e. Breen (sp?). There are certainly worse names out there.

QUACK!

QUACK!

QUACK!

Let the Mighty Ducks comparisons begin.

When I threw out a list of several of the names I had seen kicked around there was some pushback by those who didn't think we should go with an animal mascot.

I'm not sure what timeline the committee is on, but if I were to guess, the final choices will come from the following categories, perhaps one from each:

1. Western theme -- RoughRiders, Cavalry, Mustangs, Mavericks, Outlaws, Rangers, Wranglers, Wheat Kings, Shockers

2. Aviation theme -- Pilots, Aviators, Jets

3. Weather pattern -- Blizzard, Storm, Thunder

4. Northern term -- Norse, Vikings, Nordiques, North Stars

5. State-specific identity -- Nodaks or Nokotas

When I threw out a list of several of the names I had seen kicked around there was some pushback by those who didn't think we should go with an animal mascot.

I'm not sure what timeline the committee is on, but if I were to guess, the final choices will come from the following categories, perhaps one from each:

1. Western theme -- RoughRiders, Cavalry, Mustangs, Mavericks, Outlaws, Rangers, Wranglers, Wheat Kings, Shockers

Most of your list if pretty good. You're on the right track, and I hope the University moves quickly.

The committee to choose a new nickname has not even been chosen or named yet, so the timeline has not been outlined as of yet. They may not have decided on the final timeline.

I think that you have listed most of the better suggestions that I've seen. I would eliminate Mavericks, since both Mankato and Nebraska-Omaha use it, and Vikings because of the Minnesota Vikings and Valley City State. I think that there will be a lot of sentiment against animal names and also weather names. The other names you have listed all have pluses and minuses.

Plenty of Mallards everywhere. I sure hope we don't settle for a duck or rodent.

In my opinion I think Honkers would be a cool nick name, I believe there is a High School team out that uses that name, if I am not mistaken it's Kenmare.... Maybe Sprig can tell us for sure.

In my opinion I think Honkers would be a cool nick name, I believe there is a High School team out that uses that name, if I am not mistaken it's Kenmare.... Maybe Sprig can tell us for sure.

It is Kenmare. Years ago, when Hampden (near Starkweather, ND) had a school, they were also the Honkers.

It is Kenmare, although they no longer call their local beauty contest winner, "Miss Honker"

If a duck, I'm partial to sprigs, of course.

It is Kenmare. Years ago, when Hampden (near Starkweather, ND) had a school, they were also the Honkers.

That's funny, it's a small world, my buddy and I eat in the Hampden cafe every once in a while when we are up at the hunting shack in Starkweather... Great burgers for very little money.