SiouxSports.com Forum

Longwood @UND

sioux2013

Sunday's opponent is 6-13 Longwood. Longwood just played and beat South Dakota last night 85-82. Alot of shots were being fired up by both teams with little defense. Looks as if Longwood likes to run and gun with their players. Will be a very good test for our guys with the quickness Longwood has. Tallest player for Longwood is 6'8" and 3 of their top 4 scorers come from the guard position. Go Sioux

This game is a great benchmark for us.

Game is at home, which seems to be a slight advantage for us. Longwood is a D1 team much like us size-wise. They score 75.9 ppg and allow 85.7 ppg. Both are significantly more than our 59.4 scored and 65.4 given up. Being a 6-13 independent team this is a game that is winnable and that I personally need to see the Sioux beat to prove that Coach Jones is making progress. We are playing a better offensive scheme this year and have better players (attributable to Huff, Webb, & Anderson). However I'm not convinced that there is any other improvement other than that.

Ken Pomeroy RPI (the most statistically complete RPI system on the internet - much like sabermetrics for baseball) has UND winning this game by 4 pts. I sure hope that will be the case. http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=North%20Dakota

I personally think we need to put up 70+ pts against a team that gives up an average of 85+ per game. To do that we need to get out and run and shoot better than the 28% we put up against a big and physical Nebraska squad.

GO SIOUX

This game is a great benchmark for us.

Game is at home, which seems to be a slight advantage for us. Longwood is a D1 team much like us size-wise. They score 75.9 ppg and allow 85.7 ppg. Both are significantly more than our 59.4 scored and 65.4 given up. Being a 6-13 independent team this is a game that is winnable and that I personally need to see the Sioux beat to prove that Coach Jones is making progress. We are playing a better offensive scheme this year and have better players (attributable to Huff, Webb, & Anderson). However I'm not convinced that there is any other improvement other than that.

Ken Pomeroy RPI (the most statistically complete RPI system on the internet - much like sabermetrics for baseball) has UND winning this game by 4 pts. I sure hope that will be the case. http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=North%20Dakota

I personally think we need to put up 70+ pts against a team that gives up an average of 85+ per game. To do that we need to get out and run and shoot better than the 28% we put up against a big and physical Nebraska squad.

GO SIOUX

RealTimeRPI.com has UND winning 88-74. That sounds better but can UND really score 88 points?

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_445_Men.html

RealTimeRPI.com has UND winning 88-74. That sounds better but can UND really score 88 points?

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_445_Men.html

I'm very partial to Ken Pomeroy: http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=North%20Dakota

Scoring 75 seems much more realistic. We don't score 88 unless we absolutely shot the lights out from 3.

This is a game that Coach Jones really needs to win in my opinion.

I was only able to catch the last few minutes, but it is great to FINALLY see the guys put up some offensive numbers. I never would have guessed that they would have scored 90 points in any of the remaining games this season. Hopefully they can carry some of this offensive momentum and confidence forward through the rest of the schedule.

Anderson to Huff with an apparent ferocious alley-oop & dunk...............2nd of the game...

Sioux up 90-71

It was pretty.

Sioux looked good tonight. Still stretches of undisciplined play, but, hey, they're young.

With about 7 minutes left one of my kids asked if they ever get to a 100. I said "sometimes, but they won't this game". When they had 90 with about 3 minutes left, I thought I was going to have to eat my words. I think the guys tried to get there (100) and maybe tried a bit too hard.

Nice win. GO SIOUX!!!

Wow! That was a positive. Brekke, getting the start, I like what he is showing as a freshman. 2 huge alley oop dunks (Anderson to Mitchell & Anderson to Huff), the Sioux out running the break. Schuler leading the way scoring, despite not hitting a 3. A lot to like about tonight...now build off of it. Extremely entertaining.