SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs SCSU

AZSIOUX

What's funny is Chay Genoway plays defense for the Sioux like a typical B*ston C*llege forward. Fast and aggressive with a scoring mentality, but can still play defense.

I don't know why people are so anti-Genoway forward. He hasn't played great defense this year, and his offensive numbers haven't been spectacular by any means. Why not give him a chance to go to town with the puck down low. He's great at finding open areas and getting shots off quick and accurate.

Imagine these five guys on the ice at the same time:

Knight centering Frattin and Genoway with Forbort and Blood on the blue line. That's a great combo of three scorers (who all do it in their own way, and can play defense), along with two defensemen who can move the puck and play pretty good defense. Everyone knows how good Chay can maneuver through opponents to get the puck up ice. However, he always ends up running out of space eventually, even if he beats a couple guys. Now, put him at a forward position. Picture Forbort making a good outlet pass, and then Chay only has a guy or two (which he does regularly anyways), and getting off a higher quality shot than we would have. Also, Chay can stay aggressive and his turnovers are less costly because there are always two guys (the defensemen) to back him up.

We have the depth at defense to do it, so why not take Genoway and showcase his scoring abilities even more by getting him more opportunities with the puck.

And yes, I know it will never happen, so you don't have to tell me.

It won't happen because we've been there and done that. It did not work. Chay is not as effective because he doesn't have the room to get going. He is not as effective when he has to start out in traffic. It works best when he can start out with a little bit of open ice and build up momentum.

on the genoway topic... it has less to do with how he performs in the offensive zone. it is about how he transitions out of our defensive zone. he may not be the intimidating defensive force that a blood or macwilliam are, but only marto can rival how effortlessly he can move the puck OUT of our zone, which is something that may not be sexy, but it a crucial ability to have in a defensive pairing. and yes, he will not be playing forward, which tells you how the coaches feel about having him on the blueline.

Hextall out until at least after Christmas; Gregoire out indefinitely.

our special teams will be brutal this weekend. no hexy and no gregs on the pp which has already sucked in recent weeks-good lord. I'm sure we'll see mr. nelson back on the unit which is not a good thing as there is a reason why he was taken off of it. like I said in an earlier post split at best now.

• Downvote 2

You can't replace a guy like Gregoire, but as is the saying, if someone goes down it opens up an opportunity for someone else. There are some guys who aren't playing much, or aren't playing roles they hoped to be in, this gives some guys a Pipp chance. Or would that be a Gehrig?

You can't replace a guy like Gregoire, but as is the saying, if someone goes down it opens up an opportunity for someone else. There are some guys who aren't playing much, or aren't playing roles they hoped to be in, this gives some guys a Pipp chance. Or would that be a Gehrig?

I would hope that this is motivation for some of the guys with talent that haven't produced up to their potential to fill the void.

I think one of them will.

(I'm not naming any names.)

I would hope that this is motivation for some of the guys with talent that haven't produced up to their potential to fill the void.

I think one of them will.

(I'm not naming any names.)

I think Rodwell will continue improving and help pick up some scoring slack.

With his size and speed I really like this kid :)