SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Post Season

Matt

There is no doubt this is not a great Bison team. Also, I am pretty stunned we got in and then drew RM on top of that. Still...the Bison better figure something out on offense or it will be one game and out. Saturday was simply putrid on offense.

Have you read any chatter from your friends at Bville if Bohl is able to provide playoff tickets for recruits? It would seem to me that when UND has a home playoff game it would be nice to get a recruit to come to a home playoff game to experience that atmosphere. I don't know if this has been done in the D2 days or if it is prohibited by NCAA rules.

Eh -- it's true. That's why it was so critical for each of the ND's to get into a top-tier conference post transition. Long-term reputation counts, and being the 2nd or 3rd team in the Big Sky or MVFC counts for a lot more than being the top team (overall recordwise) in GWFC. It was a transitional scheduling arrangement for independents when NDSU helped found it, and still was when UND joined it. Of course, this year, that didn't actually come into play, because Cal Poly simply didn't even met the well-known minimum requirements (if their schedule wasn't such to maximize the opportunity to meet those requirements, that's also their own fault).

Exactly. This is what will help UND being in the Big Sky. Pioneer conference had two 10-1 teams. None got in. A few other weaker conferences had good records, but obviously dont have a case at all

Exactly. This is what will help UND being in the Big Sky. Pioneer conference had two 10-1 teams. None got in. A few other weaker conferences had good records, but obviously dont have a case at all

Like it or not it is a race to 7 D1 wins. That's why scheduling the UND-NDSU game has become so difficult. A sucessful FCS team needs to have one big $$$ game against a BCS team. So most year that's a loss. Then you are going to want to schedule a home "cupcake" D1 game start the race to 7. Hopefully you schedule that on your opener so a big crowd is guaranteed. Then you have a 8 game confrence schedule. Now that leaves one more game(most years), and both UND and NDSU want that as a home game, plus no matter how good or bad either team is odds are it going to be a close "pick 'em" type game. It's the combination of $$$ and getting to 7 wins that makes the nickle game hard to schedule.

Like it or not it is a race to 7 D1 wins. That's why scheduling the UND-NDSU game has become so difficult. A sucessful FCS team needs to have one big $$$ game against a BCS team. So most year that's a loss. Then you are going to want to schedule a home "cupcake" D1 game start the race to 7. Hopefully you schedule that on your opener so a big crowd is guaranteed. Then you have a 8 game confrence schedule. Now that leaves one more game(most years), and both UND and NDSU want that as a home game, plus no matter how good or bad either team is odds are it going to be a close "pick 'em" type game. It's the combination of $$$ and getting to 7 wins that makes the nickle game hard to schedule.

That's a valid point. Taylor has said he wants to keep a gurantee FCS game (i.e. "cupcake') on the home schedule every year for that very reason. However, that does not prevent an annual series with UND. With the two OOC FCS games in a typical 11-game schedule, NDSU could easily schedule a home cupcake game and then UND for the other one. The problem with that is it doesn't allow NDSU to go out and schedule any other quality OOC FCS schools, such as a Montana State and Montana (which are on NDSU's schedule for '13 and '14 respectively). In other words, if NDSU commits to scheduling UND every year and wants to keep an FCS cupcake on the schedule, then there is no room for any other OOC game except on years when 12 games are allowed. Taylor is under the belief that the NDSU fan base would rather see some diversity in OOC FCS scheduling rather than be locked-in to UND every year.

That's a valid point. Taylor has said he wants to keep a gurantee FCS game (i.e. "cupcake') on the home schedule every year for that very reason. However, that does not prevent an annual series with UND. With the two OOC FCS games in a typical 11-game schedule, NDSU could easily schedule a home cupcake game and then UND for the other one. The problem with that is it doesn't allow NDSU to go out and schedule any other quality OOC FCS schools, such as a Montana State and Montana (which are on NDSU's schedule for '13 and '14 respectively). In other words, if NDSU commits to scheduling UND every year and wants to keep an FCS cupcake on the schedule, then there is no room for any other OOC game except on years when 12 games are allowed. Taylor is under the belief that the NDSU fan base would rather see some diversity in OOC FCS scheduling rather than be locked-in to UND every year.

According to NDSU fans, UND is the cupcake: so what's the problem? :lol:

NDSU may want FCS diversity in their schedule, but that Southern and Colonial schools don't want the travel. Georgia Southern just dropped them from the schedule, so again, NDSU is having difficulty filling it's own schedule.

We are a Big Sky school now, so by definition we provide "diversity".

According to NDSU fans, UND is the cupcake: so what's the problem? :lol:

NDSU may want FCS diversity in their schedule, but that Southern and Colonial schools don't want the travel. Georgia Southern just dropped them from the schedule, so again, NDSU is having difficulty filling it's own schedule.

We are a Big Sky school now, so by definition we provide "diversity".

You've done a good job outlining how having NDSU on the home schedule will help the program. I don't see NDSU capitulating until their need for a game supercedes their interest keeping any advantage over UND they can.

Someone said the Alumni Assoc. at NDSU bought up a bunch of tickets and they are giving them away to try get people to come to the playoff game. You wouldn't think they would need to do that when it is the first playoff game at NDSU in 20 years. You would everyone would be storming the ticket office to buy tickets.

Someone said the Alumni Assoc. at NDSU bought up a bunch of tickets and they are giving them away to try get people to come to the playoff game. You wouldn't think they would need to do that when it is the first playoff game at NDSU in 20 years. You would everyone would be storming the ticket office to buy tickets.

I don't see why they would have to. Between true Bison fans, fair-weather Bison fans, and all the relatives who will be home for Thanksgiving weekend there should be a big NDSU base to start with, then add in all the casual football fans who just want to watch a playoff game, especially since weather isn't a factor, and they should have a big crowd without having to give away a bunch of tickets. Heck if I lived 80 miles away I would go watch it, and I bet a bunch of other Sioux fans will too, even if it is to cheer against them.

500 tickets were bought to give away to NDSU students

You've done a good job outlining how having NDSU on the home schedule will help the program. I don't see NDSU capitulating until their need for a game supercedes their interest keeping any advantage over UND they can.

Taylor with the every other year schedule (meaning UND hosts in 2015) is probably the last and only offer.

Taylor with the every other year schedule (meaning UND hosts in 2015) is probably the last and only offer.

Three MVFC teams make the playoffs (NDSU, UNI, W Ill) but none got opening round byes and one is on the road no less. That's not fun for those teams or that league.

Meanwhile, both Montana State and Eastern Washington are in bye weeks.

I would suspect that is true. The initial game will be a ways in the future since both schools are now in conferences and open dates are few and far between.

If Taylor wants an every other year game then I suggest we remain open to compromise. That also means NDSU has to give something up as well. How about an every other year contract with the first game in Grand Forks? Each side gets something they want and the rivalry is renewed. Faison should call Gene's bluff and offer this to Jean Taylor. I have no doubt we'd hear another lame excuse from that spineless coward.

Three MVFC teams make the playoffs (NDSU, UNI, W Ill) but none got opening round byes and one is on the road no less. That's not fun for those teams or that league.

Meanwhile, both Montana State and Eastern Washington are in bye weeks.

That is what 7-4 will get you, way too much parity in the MVFC this year.

Now that UND is in the Big Sky neither school holds a bargaining edge over the other. Both schools should want the game just as much and neither school needs the game any more than the other. The two schools should both want to play the game because it is the right thing to do. It is best for the state and for the fans of both schools. It is best for the 2 schools financially as well as for a host of other reasons. Once again neither school needs the game any more than the other. It is time for some administrators to make adult mature decisions.

If Taylor wants an every other year game then I suggest we remain open to compromise. That also means NDSU has to give something up as well. How about an every other year contract with the first game in Grand Forks? Each side gets something they want and the rivalry is renewed. Faison should call Gene's bluff and offer this to Jean Taylor. I have no doubt we'd hear another lame excuse from that spineless coward.

Gene Taylor will never allow NDSU to play North Dakota in football as long as he is A.D.

It is a moot point barring a playoff pairing or legislative intervention :silly: ..................................

Gene Taylor will never allow NDSU to play North Dakota in football as long as he is A.D.

It is a moot point barring a playoff pairing or legislative intervention :silly: ..................................

This is probably a true statement. Taylor's ego and his future aspirations could not handle a possible loss to UND in FB and..... because he is in the drivers seat, having a 5 year head start he can pretty much dictate the terms for now. Will the worm turn someday? Stay tuned.............!

If UND would agree to an every other year deal- the game would happen in 2012.

If UND would agree to an every other year deal- the game would happen in 2012.

UND won't agree to that, that is why Taylor is willing to offer it.

I don't care if they play every year, every other year, every 5 years, or never again.

As long as Gene Taylor is at NDSU, it ain't happening.