SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky vs MVFC teams

Let'sGoHawks!

Here are the first things that come to mind when I think of our real future rivals vs. our parallel universe future rivals:

Big Sky Football

Eastern Washington-great program, red turf, excited

Montana-great program, get 30K per game, very excited

Montana St.-"Bobcats", "other" Montana team, don't know much about them, saw them play against UMN one year, kind of excited

Idaho St.-beat em, they backed out of Potato Bowl, easy win, not too excited

Northern Colorado-former rival, seem to have struggled since moving up, should beat em regularly, a little excited

Portland St.-Don't know much, big metro area? not real excited

Weber St.-good at basketball, don't know about their football team, not real excited

Northern Arizona-one would think "road trip", but I believe they are in a cool mountain climate, with forests as they are the Lumberjacks, not real excited

Sacramento St.-Winless Wanless is AD, don't know much, not real excited

Southern Utah-Up and coming program, keep up our "rivarly", excited

Cal Poly-Great program, great potential road trip, "keep up our rivalry", excited

UC Davis-Great program, great potential road trip, "keep up our rivalry", excited

MVFC

NDSU-would love to still play them, I think we will every other year

USD-negative thoughts about USD, horrible facilities, not sure I want to see UND play them anymore in non-conference action

Northern Iowa-great program, would love to play them every year

Western Illinois-"leathernecks", don't know anything about them, not playing them is fine with me

Indiana State-bad team, not playing them is fine with me

Missouri State-don't know much, their name sounds like Mizzou, but then you realize they are FCS and not FBS

South Dakota State-would love to play them every year

Illinois State-are they the "redbirds"? not playing them is fine with me

Southern Illinois-Great program, facilities, would love to play them (no, not because of Dale Lennon!)

Youngstown State-"Penguins!", have name recognition from DII days, would like to play them

Like I said, these are just some thoughts on the 2 conferences, I think they are pretty similar.

I wouldn't call UC-Davis, Cal Poly, and SUU "rivals." We've only been playing them for two or three years. In my opinion, UND will no longer have any rivals.

I'll tackle the issue from a road trip perspective. The Big Sky definitely has more appealing destinations. But any conference road game will require a flight. What good are attractive destinations if you don't have the time or resources to take advantage of them? It's one of those things that sounds good in theory and on message board arguments, but in reality is not that practical.

As far as football teams coming to the Alerus Center, there are four teams in the MVFC that would instantly really excite fans - NDSU, SDSU, USD, and UNI. I'd say there are two in the Big Sky - Montana and Montana State. There are obviously other good teams in the Big Sky, but I'm not sure they will excite the casual fan.

I wouldn't call UC-Davis, Cal Poly, and SUU "rivals." We've only been playing them for two or three years. In my opinion, UND will no longer have any rivals.

I'll tackle the issue from a road trip perspective. The Big Sky definitely has more appealing destinations. But any conference road game will require a flight. What good are attractive destinations if you don't have the time or resources to take advantage of them? It's one of those things that sounds good in theory and on message board arguments, but in reality is not that practical.

As far as football teams coming to the Alerus Center, there are four teams in the MVFC that would instantly really excite fans - NDSU, SDSU, USD, and UNI. I'd say there are two in the Big Sky - Montana and Montana State. There are obviously other good teams in the Big Sky, but I'm not sure they will excite the casual fan.

So schedule them non-conference. As to practicality, I'll leave that judgement up to the individuals and their unique situations.

So schedule them non-conference. As to practicality, I'll leave that judgement up to the individuals and their unique situations.

Sorry, I'm not a big believer in quality non-conference home games. I'll need to see one before I will believe they are actually possible.

Sorry, I'm not a big believer in quality non-conference home games. I'll need to see one before I will believe they are actually possible.

See SDSU in 2012? Also Central Arkansas is a good program coming to the Al. Also I'm guessing USD will get in a schedule rotation if we want to pursue it. The SD schools are on tight budgets and a bus non conference game are very appealing to them. NDSU we will have to wait on that.

See SDSU in 2012? Also Central Arkansas is a good program coming to the Al. Also I'm guessing USD will get in a schedule rotation if we want to pursue it. The SD schools are on tight budgets and a bus non conference game are very appealing to them. NDSU we will have to wait on that.

I see San Diego State on the road in 2012. I thought the UND-SDSU (Jacks) game was a one and done...are the Jacks coming to the Alerus?

Don't forget when you are talking between the Big Sky and the MVFC you also have to talk about the Summit. Games with NDSU, SDSU and USD would have been great (still can schedule them for OOC games), but you would have also had to play IUPUI, UMKC, Centenary, Oakland and IPFW. How do those schools and road trip sound?

Don't forget when you are talking between the Big Sky and the MVFC you also have to talk about the Summit. Games with NDSU, SDSU and USD would have been great (still can schedule them for OOC games), but you would have also had to play IUPUI, UMKC, Centenary, Oakland and IPFW. How do those schools and road trip sound?

Ya, I am not a basketball guy, so I didn't know much about the details on teams in the 2 leagues. I agree, those names are pretty nasty ones, and remind me of NJIT, Chicago State, Houston Baptist, etc that are now in the Great West...exactly what we want to avoid.

Ya, I am not a basketball guy, so I didn't know much about the details on teams in the 2 leagues. I agree, those names are pretty nasty ones, and remind me of NJIT, Chicago State, Houston Baptist, etc that are now in the Great West...exactly what we want to avoid.

Yes, I wouldn't consider any of the Summit League schools peers and that includes NDSU and SDSU. I live and work in the Cities and UND is generally considered on par with Minnesota and Wisconsin academically by employers while the other Dakota's reside in a much lower category lumped in with schools like UW-Eau Claire, Winona State, and Moorhead State. It might be an unpopular opinion in ND but to the rest of the country NDSU really is a peer institution of IUPUI and Oakland while UND isn't.

Yes, I wouldn't consider any of the Summit League schools peers and that includes NDSU and SDSU. I live and work in the Cities and UND is generally considered on par with Minnesota and Wisconsin academically by employers while the other Dakota's reside in a much lower category lumped in with schools like UW-Eau Claire, Winona State, and Moorhead State. It might be an unpopular opinion in ND but to the rest of the country NDSU really is a peer institution of IUPUI and Oakland while UND isn't.

First of all, I don't buy your premise. But even if it was true, is that really the first thing you are thinking about when you are looking at when thinking about going to watch the Sioux play an opponent in basketball or football, their acedemic programs? Hell, why not join the MIAC. Those schools graduates are very highly regarded by employers in the Twin Cities.I'm not here to argue which school or conferences are better academically or which schools are peer schools and which are not. But I know Oakland, IUPUI and Oral Roberts put teams on the basketball floor every year that would compete for if not win titles in the Big Sky and they are fun to watch. Same can be said for several of the MVFC teams. Both conferences have their pluses and minuses, but I think I would rather not be the lone wolf in the Dakotas in either conference.

I do wish the SIoux and their fans good luck in the coming seasons, hopefully the 2 closest schools geographically don't decide to make the jump to the WAC in the near future. That could be a deal breaker for UND. I'm guessing the Summit would welcome UND in if they could afford the Big Sky buyout. Does anyone know what that is?

Hi guys, No dog in this fight and not wanting to pour salt here on obviously open wounds. But one thing I've found about these Summit schools and basketball. I'd put Kampe and Oakland up against any Big Sky team and if you guys had an opportunity you'd be damned impressed. Maybe you don't like the letters but if you are a fan of good basketball you'd have nothing to complain about. Either way good luck with travel it will be an issue for more fans than not. Hi to Shawn O :)

Here are the first things that come to mind when I think of our real future rivals vs. our parallel universe future rivals:

Big Sky Football

Eastern Washington-great program, red turf, excited

Montana-great program, get 30K per game, very excited

Montana St.-"Bobcats", "other" Montana team, don't know much about them, saw them play against UMN one year, kind of excited

Idaho St.-beat em, they backed out of Potato Bowl, easy win, not too excited

Northern Colorado-former rival, seem to have struggled since moving up, should beat em regularly, a little excited

Portland St.-Don't know much, big metro area? not real excited

Weber St.-good at basketball, don't know about their football team, not real excited

Northern Arizona-one would think "road trip", but I believe they are in a cool mountain climate, with forests as they are the Lumberjacks, not real excited

Sacramento St.-Winless Wanless is AD, don't know much, not real excited

Southern Utah-Up and coming program, keep up our "rivarly", excited

Cal Poly-Great program, great potential road trip, "keep up our rivalry", excited

UC Davis-Great program, great potential road trip, "keep up our rivalry", excited

MVFC

NDSU-would love to still play them, I think we will every other year

USD-negative thoughts about USD, horrible facilities, not sure I want to see UND play them anymore in non-conference action

Northern Iowa-great program, would love to play them every year

Western Illinois-"leathernecks", don't know anything about them, not playing them is fine with me

Indiana State-bad team, not playing them is fine with me

Missouri State-don't know much, their name sounds like Mizzou, but then you realize they are FCS and not FBS

South Dakota State-would love to play them every year

Illinois State-are they the "redbirds"? not playing them is fine with me

Southern Illinois-Great program, facilities, would love to play them (no, not because of Dale Lennon!)

Youngstown State-"Penguins!", have name recognition from DII days, would like to play them

Like I said, these are just some thoughts on the 2 conferences, I think they are pretty similar.

NAU would be a good road trip for those not familiar with flagstaff. Grand canyon is very close. Also Sedona is very close amnd a wonderful unique place. Lots of places to eat and have a good time. Scenery is great. Phoenix is 2 hours from there. It is high country but quickly drops elevation outside the city. On the way to phoenix you hit just about every kind of climate you can imagine.

Play NAU towards the end of the year. They seem to start strong and finish weak.

Go UND. I am for keeping the highest rivals year in and year out North Dakota State.

I think the UND coaches are doing a truly good job of recruiting. The school and coaches really do a great job of selling a good overall school and sport program especially when you consider most people in AZ think North Dakota is colder then the south pole :-) Very profession and better then most. I think the team is going to do well going forward.

UND and NDS are actively recruiting AZ I am hearing.

First of all, I don't buy your premise. But even if it was true, is that really the first thing you are thinking about when you are looking at when thinking about going to watch the Sioux play an opponent in basketball or football, their acedemic programs? Hell, why not join the MIAC. Those schools graduates are very highly regarded by employers in the Twin Cities.I'm not here to argue which school or conferences are better academically or which schools are peer schools and which are not. But I know Oakland, IUPUI and Oral Roberts put teams on the basketball floor every year that would compete for if not win titles in the Big Sky and they are fun to watch. Same can be said for several of the MVFC teams. Both conferences have their pluses and minuses, but I think I would rather not be the lone wolf in the Dakotas in either conference.

I do wish the SIoux and their fans good luck in the coming seasons, hopefully the 2 closest schools geographically don't decide to make the jump to the WAC in the near future. That could be a deal breaker for UND. I'm guessing the Summit would welcome UND in if they could afford the Big Sky buyout. Does anyone know what that is?

As much as it pains me to agree with you. I do one of the main reasons for UND not joining the summit was it didn't have football in it and it didn't look like the MV was going to add any schools, plus with the thought of Montana and Montana st leaving the big sky I am not sure this is looking like a good decision. Lots of people are posting that there arenplenty of good rivalries in the big sky counting southern Utah and cal poly and cal Davis we already play them and don't get good crowds don't see why they would get any better. The ability to play ndsu usd sdsu and uni in non conference games is great but would have been much beter to play them all every year. And with the possibility of a big ten hockey conference coming up the hockey team is losing two of their best series every year. This is a crucial time for UND. I HOPE IT WORKS OUT