SiouxSports.com Forum

Bemidji State Television Coverage

Millsy

The TV announcer is a real homer as well. :)

Yeah, he is, but he is our homer! But he also knows his stuff about the opponents, unlike the homers from other teams (Woog calling BSU the Bulldogs all night as an example). Hopefully he doesn't have to call on me for any color backup like he has in the past. The ratings will really take a nose dive then. :ohmy:

An area blog on what this agreement means for BSU and northern Minnesota:

http://northsports.areavoices.com/2010/08/17/bemidji-statelakeland-tv-agreement-great-news-for-hockey-fans-in-northern-minnesota/

Dishnetwork? Where? Is this a local network available if you live in the right area, or something else?

It is carried as part of the local channel lineup for the Twin Cities market on DishNetwork and DirecTV.

Dishnetwork? Where? Is this a local network available if you live in the right area, or something else?

The Minneapolis DMA (TV Market) is HUGE. Runs from Iowa to (almost) Canada. Bemidji PBS is on Dish and Directv in the Minneapolis DMA on channel 22. So even though at least 2/3rd of the DMA cannot see Lakeland PBS OTA they have a huge market because they got on satellite that goes to Minneapolis :)

• Upvote 1

I wonder what the chances are that FSSN will pick up (or be able to) that first BSU/UND series.

they might be able to as Midco is now the cable company in Bemidji (use to be Charter)

Paul Bunyan (the Telco) is also there for cable

• Upvote 1

Yeah, he is, but he is our homer! But he also knows his stuff about the opponents, unlike the homers from other teams (Woog calling BSU the Bulldogs all night as an example). Hopefully he doesn't have to call on me for any color backup like he has in the past. The ratings will really take a nose dive then. :ohmy:

An area blog on what this agreement means for BSU and northern Minnesota:

http://northsports.areavoices.com/2010/08/17/bemidji-statelakeland-tv-agreement-great-news-for-hockey-fans-in-northern-minnesota/

I said the Homer comment tongue in cheek. I think Scott does a good job as well, I like his objective call to the game. I will never forget his call of the final 6 seconds where BSU went the length of the ice and scored to tie Niagara. I bet that Monsy and Scott are happy to have a new presbox this up coming season.

The Minneapolis DMA (TV Market) is HUGE. Runs from Iowa to (almost) Canada. Bemidji PBS is on Dish and Directv in the Minneapolis DMA on channel 22. So even though at least 2/3rd of the DMA cannot see Lakeland PBS OTA they have a huge market because they got on satellite that goes to Minneapolis :)

Surprised at the large coverage area, Do the TC have more than one PBS station on dish local networks? Thought I'd be out of luck, since my spot beam covers just western ND.

• Upvote 1

I said the Homer comment tongue in cheek. I think Scott does a good job as well, I like his objective call to the game. I will never forget his call of the final 6 seconds where BSU went the length of the ice and scored to tie Niagara. I bet that Monsy and Scott are happy to have a new presbox this up coming season.

I knew it was tongue in cheek, as was my comment. Scott and Monsy do a great job of calling the games and staying fairly objective. And yes, I think everyone who works in broadcasting will be happy with the new press box digs that the Beavers have.

I always laugh when people complain about an announcer being a homer (although some announcers do take it too far). I just ask them who are paying the announcers and there really isn't a reply...... If you don't like the talk, the mute button is always there.

56 days and counting down to the BREC Opening!

Surprised at the large coverage area, Do the TC have more than one PBS station on dish local networks? Thought I'd be out of luck, since my spot beam covers just western ND.

There are 4 PBS stations **technically** in the DMA

-Twin Cities have 2 of them (KTCA 2...the mothership) and KTCI 17 (which has only a smattering of PBS repeats...its more like "the create channel" and some older PBS shows)

-Bemidji/Brainerd has their own (as noted in this thread)

-Pioneer Public TV is in West Central MN and also in Worthington. This is the only PBS in the DMA not carried on satellite.

Dish does not carry any of them in HD. Directv carries KTCA 2 (17 isnt in HD at all)

For the PBS stations outside of the TC they need to have a fibre connection to Minneapolis (where the rest of the stations are located). Bemidji had a "fundraiser" to get enough money to be on satellite. Pioneer is not.

The locals in Standard Definition the footprint is MN and just into North and South Dakota. Grand Forks and Fargo is within spotbeam.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Lakeland Public TV annonced last night on their broadcast that all Beaver home games will be broadcast live on the main station in HD instead of on the Plus station. This is great news for BSU Hockey as it now gets them on DirecTV as well as Dish Network live in the Minneapolis market. Also, they are going to be on the Minnesota PBS station, which gets them into more PBS markets in Minnesota. The Up North Sports Blog recapped all of this here:

http://northsports.areavoices.com/2010/09/12/sunday-sports-notebook-bemidji-state-hockey-games-coming-to-minnesota-channel-new-lakeland-sports-director-postgame-thoughts-on-bsu-augustana-football-game/

HECK YEAH!

So it looks like they'll still be on Lakeland Plus live and Main station delayed...from what I read they will still do it that way. Lakeland Plus for the live games and LPB tape delayed

But the MN Channel makes it great for folks who use OTA...and opens it to even wider audience since MN channel is carried in ND in areas like Grand Forks :)

PBS Station (City):Minnesota Channel

KTCA (Minneapolis-St. Paul): 2.2, TPT Minnesota Channel

WDSE (Duluth/Superior, Wis.): 8.4

KFGE (Grand Forks, N.D.): 15.3

WRPT (Hibbing/Iron Range Cities): 31.4

KFME(Fargo, N.D./ Moorhead): 13.3

KCGE (Crookston): 16.3

KWCM (Appleton, Fergus Falls): 10.3

KSMN (Worthington): 20.3

KSMQ (Austin, Rochester, Winona, Mankato, Albert Lea, northern Iowa):15.4

KBME (Bismarck, N.D.): 22.3

KSRE (Minot, N.D.): 40.3

KDSE (Dickinson, N.D.): 9.3

KWSE (Williston, N.D.): 5.3

KJRE (Ellendale, N.D.): 20.3

KMDE (Devils Lake, N.D.): 25.3

• Upvote 1

now I'm confused...the link you provided still says live in LPB plus and TD on main....but the LPB site says otherwise

http://www.lakelandptv.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=244&Itemid=97

All games will be broadcast on Lakeland's main channel "Lakeland Prime" in high definition. The games will also be available live statewide in standard definition on all of Minnesota's Public Television stations on the Minnesota Channel. The Minnesota Channel is a collaborative effort of all of Minnesota's Public Television stations around the state. Minnesota Channel carriage will make all of these Men's Beaver hockey games available live statewide both over the air and on virtually all cable systems. Also viewers in parts of both North Dakota and Wisconsin will receive the games.

In addition to live coverage, each broadcast will also be replayed in high definition at midnight on Lakeland

• Upvote 1

now I'm confused...the link you provided still says live in LPB plus and TD on main....but the LPB site says otherwise

http://www.lakelandptv.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=244&Itemid=97

All games will be broadcast on Lakeland's main channel "Lakeland Prime" in high definition. The games will also be available live statewide in standard definition on all of Minnesota's Public Television stations on the Minnesota Channel. The Minnesota Channel is a collaborative effort of all of Minnesota's Public Television stations around the state. Minnesota Channel carriage will make all of these Men's Beaver hockey games available live statewide both over the air and on virtually all cable systems. Also viewers in parts of both North Dakota and Wisconsin will receive the games.

In addition to live coverage, each broadcast will also be replayed in high definition at midnight on Lakeland

So for those of us in the Twin Cities, will we be able to watch the BSU vs NoDak matchup?

yes

all games will be on 2-2 if you have OTA or 22 if you have Dish or Direct. Neither will be in HD as 2-2 (the MN channel) is SD and 22 is SD only on satellite. All home games are on 2-2 and delayed on 22 EXCEPT for the opening series against UND and the closing against UMTC...those are live on both

• Upvote 1

So, I receive Prairie Public TV on Polar cable...........I will be able to watch the UND/BSU games taking place in Bemidji?

maybe....here is why I say that

on your cable if you have a station called the MN channel on your cable there (its not the main PBS but a subchannel) then for sure you will

I have a feeling the FSSN might pick up this series so you might get it that way

• Upvote 1

maybe....here is why I say that

on your cable if you have a station called the MN channel on your cable there (its not the main PBS but a subchannel) then for sure you will

I have a feeling the FSSN might pick up this series so you might get it that way

No, I don't think we have that , so FSSN would be my only hope. As long as it's sold out already, and Bemidji is so close, I would think FSSN would pick it up.

No, I don't think we have that , so FSSN would be my only hope. As long as it's sold out already, and Bemidji is so close, I would think FSSN would pick it up.

I pulled up polar's website and no they dont have it

I think the FSSN will pick it up since its a huge series and the opening of the new arena there

• Upvote 1