Jon Backes, Vice President

Sue Andrews

Duaine Espegard

Rachelle Hadland

Michael Haugen

Claus Lembke

Grant Shaft

Jon Jackson, Faculty Advisor

Here are the members of the SBoHE. Wouldn't be a bad idea to "communicate" some feelings! I know I will be sending a few messages.

(www.ndus.nodak.edu/sbhe)

Richie Smith, President

Jon Backes, Vice President

Sue Andrews

Duaine Espegard

Rachelle Hadland

Michael Haugen

Claus Lembke

Grant Shaft

Jon Jackson, Faculty Advisor

Here are the members of the SBoHE. Wouldn't be a bad idea to "communicate" some feelings! I know I will be sending a few messages.

They are elites they don't care what the "common folk" have to think, they are out of touch to them it's only a name... In their world they think they are smarter than us and look down on us with contempt.

Does anyone see a problem here?

Richie Smith, President - B.A. Creighton University , JD Creighton University Law in 1977.

Jon Backes, Vice President - Minot State University in 1984 and a juris doctorate from the University of North Dakota in 1990

Sue Andrews - bachelor's degree in home economics from NDSU in 1974.

Duaine Espegard - attended the University of North Dakota and the University of Wisconsin's Graduate School of Banking.

Rachelle Hadland - NDSU student senator.

Michael Haugen - attended Valley City State University and received a bachelor's degree in social science from Minot State University.

Claus Lembke - He earned an associate degree from the Landwirtschaft Schule agricultural college in Niebuell, Germany.

Grant Shaft - received a bachelor's degree from Arizona State University in 1983 and a juris doctorate from the University of North Dakota School of Law in 1986.

Jon Jackson, Faculty Advisor - earned bachelor's degrees in chemistry and biology from Luther College, Decorah, Iowa, and master's and doctoral degrees from UND.

They are elites they don't care what the "common folk" have to think, they are out of touch to them it's only a name... In their world they think they are smarter than us and look down on us with contempt.

Richie Smith, President - B.A. Creighton University , JD Creighton University Law in 1977.

Jon Backes, Vice President - Minot State University in 1984 and a juris doctorate from the University of North Dakota in 1990

Duaine Espegard - attended the University of North Dakota and the University of Wisconsin's Graduate School of Banking.

Michael Haugen - attended Valley City State University and received a bachelor's degree in social science from Minot State University.

Claus Lembke - He earned an associate degree from the Landwirtschaft Schule agricultural college in Niebuell, Germany.

Grant Shaft - received a bachelor's degree from Arizona State University in 1983 and a juris doctorate from the University of North Dakota School of Law in 1986.

Jon Jackson, Faculty Advisor - earned bachelor's degrees in chemistry and biology from Luther College, Decorah, Iowa, and master's and doctoral degrees from UND.

At the meeting in Mayville yesterday they had students stationed at all the doors to open them for board members. Treated like elite.....acting like elite?

Wow, the guy from Germany was the only one who spoke up? Come on!

It is also their job to realize when the fight is no longer winnable, and will forever be an ongoing struggle the University doesn't need to add to its other challenges. Their perspectives are necessarily different than ours, in that they aren't fans or alumni first but have to put the long term health of the school first. I certainly didn't want the name changed, but have to believe they all honestly believed that UND will be stronger ten years from now, with this controversy behind them.

John

It is also their job to realize when the fight is no longer winnable, and will forever be an ongoing struggle the University doesn't need to add to its other challenges. Their perspectives are necessarily different than ours, in that they aren't fans or alumni first but have to put the long term health of the school first. I certainly didn't want the name changed, but have to believe they all honestly believed that UND will be stronger ten years from now, with this controversy behind them.

John

Well put. I agree with you 100%.

This was the only way to truly put the entire issue behind the school and move on.

John

John we sold our sole for an unattractive mediocre athletic conference, the University President Kelly was so Giddy he probably soiled himself when he found out he could call the Summit league today. They could have atleast let the Tribe at Standing Rock have their vote.

This will not be put behind UND. This will fester for decades. Just look at Marquette, Dartmouth, and a number of other schools that have changed team names. The issue does not go away.

Ok lets look at them.

Marquette -> moved on to the Big East and has enjoyed numerous successes in Men's bball. I don't see how the nickname change has held them back even slightly.

Dartmouth -> how has the nickname change impacted the sports teams?

The issue might never go away with the bitter fans, but so what? It doesn't hold the school or athletic department back even slightly.

Even absent any change in division classification or desire to join a specific conference, the issue was not going to get better over time. It's been going on for decades now, and has become more contentious every few years.

In all honesty, I like "Cavalry" in part because it has a little "screw you" connotation to the Indian tribes that forced this upon us. I was a supporter of keeping our team name, but realized the fight to do so would only get harder with time.

John