SiouxSports.com Forum

Game over.

MattC

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be surprised if Hakstol resigns tomorrow morning. That guy loves the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo more than anyone...Im sure he would be fine when looking for a new job. Its unlikely to happen, but i wouldnt be surprised.

why? He also loves his job and his wife loves living in GF near her family...i doubt he would resign over this.

Can someone help me? Having an argument with those stating the REA will now be torn down. Anyone know where I can find the information that states if the name changes because of something beyond the University's control it won't be torn down.

The parties fail to realize that it would be moronic to tear something down that creates so much revenue....

This action shows a lack of honor on the part of the Higher Ed Board. It is embarrassing and deceitful. I don't blame Standing Rock. Why should they have gone through the voting process only to be brushed aside by these 8 people, 5 of whom were on the board on October 27, 2007, and voted for the settlement and the terms therein. And as much as their actions irritate me, I can't even hold Kelly and Faison responsible because they ultimately had no authority in this decision. This is strictly in the hands of the Higher Ed Board.

Had this group of 8 enlightened individuals had the integrity to just do what they had already agreed to do, most everyone would have accepted the ultimate result, even if it meant that on October 30, 2010, the nickname and logo were retired.

Absolutely shameful.

Sorry for the double post, but I agree with this statement....Faison and Kelley came into a situation where they had no authority....Kelley could state the facts to the SBoHE, but he could not tell his bosses what to do. Both of them understand the tradition behind the nickname and tradition in general, but they also understand that you have to look at the big picture...the reality was that we could and did lose the nickname and they had to plan for all instances in addition to doing their other duties.

As upset as I am about losing the nickname...I am more upset that the democratic process was not given a chance...the SR tribe more than proved that they wanted to vote...their tribal council didn't want the decision, they passed the buck along...that is the part that truly stinks...we may not have gotten to keep the nickname even if they had voted, but at least we would have known for sure.

Can someone help me? Having an argument with those stating the REA will now be torn down. Anyone know where I can find the information that states if the name changes because of something beyond the University's control it won't be torn down.

The parties fail to realize that it would be moronic to tear something down that creates so much revenue....

hogdson is in complete dis belief

thinks its a kick in teh ass for all the hard work spirit lake had to do and standing rock petitioners had to do

they arent letting anyone in the building with a hammer or grinder PERIOD he said

Big baord meeting tomorrow i guess... Betty and her daughter (Kris) i think will be in on the meeting to discuss what to do with the arena

hogdson is in complete dis belief

thinks its a kick in teh ass for all the hard work spirit lake had to do and standing rock petitioners had to do

they arent letting anyone in the building with a hammer or grinder PERIOD he said

Big baord meeting tomorrow i guess... Betty and her daughter (Kris) i think will be in on the meeting to discuss what to do with the arena

They do realize they would all be out of a job though if they didnt let anyone in?

First of all, the arena will not be torn down. That is just plain silly. Repeat, it will not happen.

With regards to the logos. The settlement with the NCAA provided that in order for the arena to host an NCAA post season event (think West Regional), then certain logos would have to go. The REA does not have to change a thing, it would just not qualify for hosting an NCAA sanctioned event. If the arena never wants to bid on an NCAA event, it will never have to change one thing. The NCAA does not care.

The pissing match may come between the Arena and UND. UND does not own the Ralph. It is owned by a private charitable corporation. It has its own board of directors. They will decide what will happen with the arena. UND can disagree with this board's decisions and demand logos be removed, but its only recourse would be to not play its games there.

Good luck with that.

I AM SHOCKED!!! :silly:

I can not believe this has happened, i am absolutely devastated!!! :huh:

I really thought they would win this battle and keep the nickname and logo.

This is such a sad day for UND, i hope this doesnt affect the school or the athletic programs!!!

I know the Fighting Sioux name will unofficially live on forever!!!

only 1 more year as the Fighting Sioux, I am going to start praying NOW for a National Championship (knock on wood)

Last chance to see a Fighting Sioux National Championship!!!!!!! (knock on wood)

what a sad, sad day for the university. Not only that, but for the entire state of north dakota and anyone who has supported the SIOUX in their lifetime. Truly devastating and disapointing. Can't believe what has happened, really cannot.

Im seriously sad now, it has just sunk in that UND is no longer going to be called Fighting Sioux

Does anybody know if there is any possible way to change the decision, is there any possible actions the school can take to change this?? :silly:

Or is this FINAL, and i mean really FINAL........as in: there is no way to get the nickname back if the tribes vote it ok to use the name in say 5 years time?? :huh:

Is there any chance to keep the name now?? i hope there is!!!

I WANT TO CRY!!!!!!

I CANT BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!!

IT JUST REALLY SUCKS!!!!!

NO OTHER WAY TO PUT IT!!!!!

I cannot believe that Sioux fans are so Goddamn lame!

Listen to you all whine about this like something is being done to you and you have NO control over it.

Of all of the things that this country was founded upon, there was non greater that the will of the people triumphing.

Just put it in context for one second fellow Sioux Fans, you live in a state with a great military service background. Do you not get the idea of sacrifice for what you believe in and love?

The whole idea that no one in the state has even suggested organizing and creating a formal protest is MIND BOGGLING to me.

Has the media in our country neutered us that much. To be complacent or fearful so much that we only type on our keyboards and sit on our fat asses and listen to the news like it is our god?

WTF? Thow could PROTEST.

ORGANIZE, MARCH!!! really what the F else you going to do? Maybe watch Dancing With The Stars? Maybe a little NBA or NHL?

How much do you REALLLLY care about the Sioux name and the tradition and history and name sake that go with it.

You do know that it goes well beyond the borders of the state don't you? Is it not enough of a SPECIAL thing to maybe drive down to Bismark with 20 or 30, hell why not 50 THOUSAND fellow Sioux fans and protest.

Protest at the next SBof F*cking Joke's next meeting!

Protest in the Streets outside Kelley's house!!

Why is it that YOU will not do anything significant?? If you can't your not worth it and YOU do not deserve to enjoy (for FREE) the great experience it is to be a Sioux Fan.

I will DRIVE from Colorado and meet you all wherever we can decide to protest.

What do you think the SBofF*cking joke would do if 50,000 peaceful protesters showed up at their next meeting?? huh?

The advocates at Standing Rock will take care of that end are we going to take care of ours???

I like your thinking on this. You may be on to something... I'm really interested to see if Standing Rock is still going to hear the petition referendum next Tuesday. They wanted to act after the SBoHE made their move. Well, they made it, so let's see how Standing Rock reacts. Hopefully they still go ahead and approve the nickname. At the very least, it would leave all the blame on the SBoHE. And who knows, it could still be a game changer. (I still refuse to give up)

I would be all for a huge protest that would even dwarf the size of one of the largest Tea Party protests. With all of the networking tools at our disposal, we should be able to make this fly.

What does everybody think of his idea?

Why go quietly into the night? What's the worst thing that could happen.... a peaceful gathering with 50,000 friends and diehard Fighting Sioux Fans, all dressed in Fighting Sioux apparel? I'm sure that members of both Standing Rock and Spirit Lake would love to show solidarity with us, and I bet Ralph Engelstad Arena, Inc. would be all for it, and perhaps help out.... Hmm....lots of possibilities here

First of all I want to repeat;

Sioux fans ought PROTEST, I say put 20,000 of us with our neighbors from Standing Rock and Spirit Lake on the streets outside the next SBofE meeting in Bismark.

See if the media covers that as well as they did the 10 anti-Sioux protesters that the media exaggerated on the opening day at the RALPH??

I live in Colorado and I see all of the Sioux fans here. I have been to multiple Frozen Fours and have seen all the thousands of Sioux Fans there. I know the PASSION!

I know the numbers! 12 thousand go to one hockey game in Grand Forks! There are over 10 thousand students enrolled this year. So stand-up! Then in the end, you can at least KNOW that you did what YOU could!

When was the last time citizens of NoDak showed up for a protest anyway?? It's not that hard!! It won't hurt!!

another topic..

...Does anyone have an idea what will happen with the Sioux logo trademark?

Think about it, if the arena keeps everything, AND THEY BETTER!, then it would be awesome if anyone could start producting Sioux logo apperral and sell it to fans.

So what if the Jerseys change, The arena and our Jerseys could prosper!!

That is the stuff of legend!

Im seriously sad now, it has just sunk in that UND is no longer going to be called Fighting Sioux

Does anybody know if there is any possible way to change the decision, is there any possible actions the school can take to change this?? :silly:

Or is this FINAL, and i mean really FINAL........as in: there is no way to get the nickname back if the tribes vote it ok to use the name in say 5 years time?? :huh:

Is there any chance to keep the name now?? i hope there is!!!

I WANT TO CRY!!!!!!

I CANT BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!!

IT JUST REALLY SUCKS!!!!!

NO OTHER WAY TO PUT IT!!!!!

I seem to remember a while back when someone asked what would happen if they retired the name early, only to have Standing Rock vote and give their approval. I think it was Grant Shaft (appropriate last name after what he did today) that said it would be possible to reinstate the nickname if it fell within the agreed timeline in the agreement with the NC$$. --I may be wrong on this though, not sure.

Hopefully we will get to see what would happen. The SBoHE are a bunch of cowards, so it would probably take court action to force their hand on the issue if both tribes do give approval by the November deadline though.

I am 63 years old, born and raised in GF, graduated from UND and attended Sioux games since 1952, and other than the death of my mother, father, and brother, this is the saddest day of my life. The Native Americans in the Dakotas should be ashamed of themselves for not coming forward sooner and faster on this issue to support it. 50 years from now the name of the Sioux will be long forgotten.

I don't believe the Native Americans are to blame here. This was up to UND to foster relations with them in the past, and frankly I think we got a lot more support from the Tribes in the last half year than most anyone ever expected. I thank them for their efforts and lay the blame with the State Board and leadership at UND who did not fight for the will of all the people.

I found these quotes from the 2007 "settlement" announcement ironic today:

First of all I want to repeat;

Sioux fans ought PROTEST, I say put 20,000 of us with our neighbors from Standing Rock and Spirit Lake on the streets outside the next SBofE meeting in Bismark.

Wouldn't it be better to have it at, or outside of Engelstad Arena, where it says "HOME OF THE FIGHTING SIOUX" right on the building? Plus, I'm sure they would be very receptive to the idea, and may even help out..... just sayin'

I just read the Herald article after watching the opening Frozen Four games and then read all the posts in this thread, and I am just frustrated. The part that hits me the hardest is what am I going to tell my 5 and 2 year old sons tomorrow when they wake up. All both of them do when they get home from school is play hockey with their Fighting Sioux sticks from the Ralph and their nets. They each pretend they are different players and take turns being Eidsness or Dell in the net. They run around cheering game chants as well. It just breaks my heart to have to explain this to them.

On another note, a couple people posted earlier that Kelley and Faison's hands were tied in this matter. I disagree with that to some degree. Over the past year or so all we have heard about these State Board meetings is Kelley and Faison talking about a swift decision from the Board to apply for the Summit League. Therefore, indirectly the Board is hearing over and over from the school that we need this to go away so we can apply to a conference that will do nothing for the grand scheme of things right now. Through this whole process it bothers me that our 3rd and 4th tier sports are controlling the history, tradition and pride of the Fighting Sioux logo relationship with the school.

Just a sad and frustrating situation.