SiouxSports.com Forum

Ryan Bakken on the rivalry

PCM

cheeringsiouxfromsmoggycali Posted on Oct 21 2003, 07:56 PM

What could be scary for NDSU is if teams like the Golden Chokers are no longer able to play a 1-AA team. Right now the stars and super-conferences are aligning, the BCS is coming up for renewal and D2 is supposedly looking to count only D2 games, then what is stopping these super-conferences and/or the NCAA from banning the "automatic win?"

This is only a hypothetical question at this time, but it has some merit. With the ACC at 12 teams (now) along with the SEC and Big 12, the Big 10 1/2 will add 1 1/2 teams and change its name and the PAC 10 will be forced to add 2 teams. These conferences already control the BCS and under no circumstances do they want a tourney. It's hard enough for any other conference to make any money, so they'll just want a tourney instead. I think we're looking at a total college football reclassification. The supers will be DI, the mid-majors will then become 1AA. This leaves the current 1AA somewhere in between IAA and DII. And also out of the running for big paychecks.

This rant is, of course, only one man's opinion of the soon to be future. I just don't think you can count on the money for games that aren't booked. 

I realize the old cliche' "nothing is for sure, except death and taxes". With the way the cards are currently dealt, these money games are options. 10-20 years we may be able to see if the move was a good one or not.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize the old cliche' "nothing is for sure, except death and taxes".  With the way the cards are currently dealt, these money games are options.  10-20 years we may be able to see if the move was a good one or not.

Obviously football will have to be the cash "bison" for the rest of the sports (except bball), but doesn't it worry you that you have to count on these big pay days (and losses) in order to make ends meet?

Or, is it realistic to think that foundraising, ticket sales and concessions will be able to support the other sports you have?

I'm in no way saying don't go for DI. I wish you the best of luck. I'll just take a wait and see approach like most Sioux fans. We're just using you as guinea pigs.

cheeringsiouxfromsmoggycali Posted on Oct 21 2003, 11:36 PM

Obviously football will have to be the cash "bison" for the rest of the sports (except bball), but doesn't it worry you that you have to count on these big pay days (and losses) in order to make ends meet?

Or, is it realistic to think that foundraising, ticket sales and concessions will be able to support the other sports you have?

I'm in no way saying don't go for DI. I wish you the best of luck. I'll just take a wait and see approach like most Sioux fans. We're just using you as guinea pigs.

Thanks, and don't mind being the "guinea pigs". I think the big paydays will be the gravy. The athletic departement has a budget they want to work with that I think is realistic.

From today's Forum, basketball also has a travel guarantees, as UNC will be getting.

Northern Colorado added Rutgers University to its men

To respond to Northern Colorado showing up on the Rutgers schedule, let's look back at Forum columnist Mike McFeely's recent words:

It is likely the Bison will have Big 10 and Big 12 schools lining up to play them in non-conference affairs. Is this because they

Plus, a $35k guarantee to go to New Jersey from Colorado? Run the numbers on taking 20 people from Greeley to Jersey: travel, meals, lodging. I don't see a lot of profit on that one.

In this Greeley newspaper article, their a.d. claims the expenses will be about $10,000.

link

I'm not sure I believe that it won't be far more than that.

In any event, look at it this way: Even if there's a $25,000 guarantee and it was ALL profit (which, of course it is not), that would be roughly the equivalent of a home game with a crowd of 2,500 with an average ticket price of $10 (the current average reserved ticket price at NDSU for basketball). At UNC, that would be huge because they typically average a few hundred people for home games. But at UND or NDSU, that's pretty much an average home crowd. Considering a fledgling dI school can expect far fewer home games than usual, you would need a pretty large number of these guarantee games just to make up for the loss of revenue from the fewer home games.

In this Greeley newspaper article, their a.d. claims the expenses will be about $10,000.

It's probably true. I know FedEx offers preferred customer discounts to its best volume shippers. As well, I believe that Greyhound has those cheap fares they pitch to old ladies looking to see the grandkids in Arizona. :D:(

They say about $10k in expenses?

Meals: $45 per day, two days

Hotel: $50 per night*, one night

Airfare: $300 (Denver to Newark)

Ground Transport: $30 per day, two days

That works out to be $500 per person for a two-day trip to New Jersey. Assuming 20 travelers is about normal for basketball, there's $10k. Personally, I'd guess my hotel and ground transportation numbers are low.

* Assumes two persons per room for a $100 room. What you get for $100 a night in New Jersey is a whole other thread. :D:(

Traveling IS expensive. Ask the gophers. Every year they go to a bowl game and blow houndreds of thousands of dollars on traveling (if not millions). Sure things are different for bowl games (longer stay and more players), but most team meals are paid for by the bowl. Close to a million dollars is a heck of a lot more than 65K.

On a side note; my cousin works for Arizona State as a video recorder. Last year they went to the Holiday Bowl in San Diego. A one week stay in a four star hotel, cd player, fossil watch, shoes, clothes, and whatever else he needed. He's not even a player. Plus EVERYONE got X-Box's and games during the season.

And he got a ring...they lost the game.

I thought one of the funniest things that keep reoccuring after the Sioux victory over the Bison was that NDSU fans across the state all said in unison "Once you beat Montana, then you can talk."

Well I sat down and thought about this and I came up with this...

The Bison beat Montana, the Sioux beat the Bison, so indirectly, UND did beat Montana. Chalk up another victory! That will do wonders to our regional ranking now!!

You can't spell SUCKS without SU. No matter what Division.

MNS:

They were all 'swags' from a guy who's done some traveling. Going major airport to major airport (Denver to Newark) with a couple months advanced booking was part of the assumption/guess. The more I ponder it, however, the more I think the ground transport and hotel numbers (east coast costs) are low.

And yes, to go out of anywhere but Denver (meaning having to fly into a hub like MSP, Denver, or Chicago O'Hare) would add a minimum of $100 per ticket.

Run numbers like that and look at real profits then look at playing a home game before even a smallish home crowd at the larger NCC schools. The net revenues comes out at about the same. The bigger difference is that you keep the home fan base engaged. Nine home games in a 27 game schedule doesn't engage your base.

I don't think the travel for the UNC basketball team would be much over 10 K. I checked United Airlines website for flights from Denver to Newark in about a month Many options under $250 were available. (some results listed below). Also, I would assume the college could work out group discounts with hotels, airline etc.

Denver (DEN) to Newark (EWR)

236.50 USD per person

Leg Flight info Date Depart Arrive Stops

1 United Airlines 418 Nov 14 8:50 am DEN 2:30 pm EWR Non-stop

2 United Airlines 1037 Nov 16 8:00 am EWR 10:23 am DEN Non-stop

242.00 USD per person

Leg Flight info Date Depart Arrive Stops

1 United Airlines 422 Nov 14 10:15 am DEN 3:58 pm EWR Non-stop

2 United Airlines 2456

(Operated by US Airways) Nov 16 5:50 am EWR 7:42 am CLT Non-stop

United Airlines 2010

(Operated by US Airways) Nov 16 8:15 am CLT 9:50 am DEN Non-stop

I thought one of the funniest things that keep reoccuring after the Sioux victory over the Bison was that NDSU fans across the state all said in unison "Once you beat Montana, then you can talk."

Well I sat down and thought about this and I came up with this...

The Bison beat Montana, the Sioux beat the Bison, so indirectly, UND did beat Montana. Chalk up another victory! That will do wonders to our regional ranking now!!

You can't spell SUCKS without SU. No matter what Division.

Technically i think Montanna would beat you 9 times out of 10. The thing is that they would also beat NDSU 9 times out of 10, we just happened to play the best game we could and they had the worst game they could.

Aren't college athletic teams flown via charter, as opposed to hopping on a normal flight and hoping that there are seats still available?

How does the UND hockey team travel to games out east?

Do they fly from GF to Mpls to another hub to the destination?

Anybody know how much a charter flight costs?

The only time (that I know of) that hockey charters is to the Frozen Four. The good/bad thing about chartering is you have extra seats to sell, so you can make some money that way.

In DI, the FB teams will charter. The reason is they have so many people to begin with that are associated with the team. Plus a partial band comes. The remaining seats are filled with the big time donors of the program. They don't necessarily pay their way, but the universities hope they'll make up for it with a big donation sometime.

Next time you watch a big time FB game, look at the sidelines after the players box. You'll see all kinds of rich men standing around. They are the big time donors. I was at the Fiesta Bowl when USC played ASU. ASU had about 20 extra guys on the sidelines. This weekend I'll be at the Rose Bowl watching UCLA and ASU. My cousin gets free ASU tickets.

Extra FUN Bonus Prize: When I was at ASU, we picked up the Oregon game tape from the airport that night and dropped it off at the offices. We then jumped the fence and ran around the field a bit. We were a little hopped up. We did have DD.