SiouxSports.com Forum

the Betty vs. the Ralph

UND92,96

I have always loved watching a game in the Sioux Center, much more so than in the REA. I've only been to two games in the REA, NDSU in 2004 which had attendance of around 7,500 and that was a great atmosphere, and another game against UNO I believe had around 4,000-4,500. Didn't care too much for that one. I'm of the opinion that all games should be played in Sioux Center until it is consistently sold out, with the exception of future NDSU games. If USD or SDSU games in the future regularly fill the Betty, I would be in favor of playing those games as well, and perhaps any potential future visits by UNI as well given the UND ties there. But the Sioux Center can become a pretty raucous place even when it is just 3/4 full. I didn't realize there were just 2,500 for USD last year, but that was a great environment. Seating capacity could be modestly increased in the Sioux Center easily enough simply by adding larger portable risers. They could have a really large one on the North end since there aren't concessions behind that one.

I really think that a 3,000-4,000 seat arena is about the right size for UND, especially given the fact that REA is available for known big draws. Back in the early 90's when UND was getting 4,000-5,000 per game, in addition to being much better teams, there were also only half as many seats available to attend hockey games. The new REA effectively creates more competition for Grand Forks entertainment dollars and allows alot of people to basically "blow their wad" on hockey seats, whereas 20 years ago, many more people couldn't get into the old REA so alot of them chose basketball instead. Hopefully we will end up in the Summit League which averages ~2,700 for attendance. Summit fans probably won't travel nearly as well as NCC schools did save for the Dakota schools due to the much larger of geographic area that it covers compared to the NCC.

My 2 cents.

This is probably beyond the scope of the question Miller is posing, but I really don't like watching games at the Betty. I didn't like it when it first opened, and I don't like it now. The lack of a concourse drives me crazy, as I feel like once I'm in my seat, I'm more or less captive until the game is over. At Hyslop, the Ralph or the Alerus, you can/could get up and walk around at halftime, between games or to take a restless kid for a little walk, but that's not a realistic option at the Betty. So from an admittedly selfish point of view, I welcome games at the Ralph. Or the Al for that matter.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little late here but I loved having the games at the Ralph. The potential to actually have a DI atmosphere in the Ralph is definitely there. One thing I noticed while sitting at the games is how the upper bowl seemed to disappear. It didn't feel as empty and hollow as many thought it would. If UND gets into the Summit and held the USD, NDSU and SDSU games in the Ralph and got between 5-7,000 in the lower bowl, it would be one heck of an amazing atmosphere. Throw in a game in the Ralph against an occasional name school and UND could really increase it's average attendance. Imagine if UND and NDSU were in the race to win the Summit. Who says a UND/NDSU game couldn't draw 7-10,000.

Having games at the Ralph would also help raise the profile of the basketball programs and for lack of a better word "legitimize" them. There is no denying how much the Ralph has helped raise the profile of the hockey program, especially with the casual sports fans in the region. If the Ralph can be used on weekends the hockey team is gone to do the same for the basketball programs, it would be a mistake to not take advantage of that. After all, having a healthy, successful athletic department overall is good for the university and all of its teams.

There is also alot of revenue potential for having games in the Ralph. Obviously there are a lot more seats that can be sold to games. You are going to have some people who show up simply because of the atmosphere of the Ralph (compared to the Betty). But putting a good team on the court is also going to have to happen to see a true increase in fans. Along with the increase in fans comes increase in concession sales and at the Sioux Shop. But there is also big revenue potential with the suites. If UND begins to hold X amount of games in the Ralph each year, at suite renewal UND and the Ralph can offer Y amount of suite tickets at $Z to suite owners. If suite owners do not have interest in using the suites during basketball games and choose not to purchase them, then UND and the Ralph can turn around and rent the suites out during the basketball games. There is alot of potential there.

And I would imagine that it would help out with recruiting being able to show players the Ralph and telling them they will play a portion of their games there.

Also, there is no reason that scheduling shouldn't work. Schools such as Wisconsin, Ohio State, Boston College, Denver, etc. manage to play ALL of their basketball games in their hockey rink. It would just take a bit of cooperation between UND, the WCHA and the Summit.

UND needs to begin thinking with a DI mentality and look for ways to grow all of our sports. This is definately one obvious one.

I'm a little late here but I loved having the games at the Ralph. The potential to actually have a DI atmosphere in the Ralph is definitely there. One thing I noticed while sitting at the games is how the upper bowl seemed to disappear. It didn't feel as empty and hollow as many thought it would. If UND gets into the Summit and held the USD, NDSU and SDSU games in the Ralph and got between 5-7,000 in the lower bowl, it would be one heck of an amazing atmosphere. Throw in a game in the Ralph against an occasional name school and UND could really increase it's average attendance. Imagine if UND and NDSU were in the race to win the Summit. Who says a UND/NDSU game couldn't draw 7-10,000.

Having games at the Ralph would also help raise the profile of the basketball programs and for lack of a better word "legitimize" them. There is no denying how much the Ralph has helped raise the profile of the hockey program, especially with the casual sports fans in the region. If the Ralph can be used on weekends the hockey team is gone to do the same for the basketball programs, it would be a mistake to not take advantage of that. After all, having a healthy, successful athletic department overall is good for the university and all of its teams.

There is also alot of revenue potential for having games in the Ralph. Obviously there are a lot more seats that can be sold to games. You are going to have some people who show up simply because of the atmosphere of the Ralph (compared to the Betty). But putting a good team on the court is also going to have to happen to see a true increase in fans. Along with the increase in fans comes increase in concession sales and at the Sioux Shop. But there is also big revenue potential with the suites. If UND begins to hold X amount of games in the Ralph each year, at suite renewal UND and the Ralph can offer Y amount of suite tickets at $Z to suite owners. If suite owners do not have interest in using the suites during basketball games and choose not to purchase them, then UND and the Ralph can turn around and rent the suites out during the basketball games. There is alot of potential there.

And I would imagine that it would help out with recruiting being able to show players the Ralph and telling them they will play a portion of their games there.

Also, there is no reason that scheduling shouldn't work. Schools such as Wisconsin, Ohio State, Boston College, Denver, etc. manage to play ALL of their basketball games in their hockey rink. It would just take a bit of cooperation between UND, the WCHA and the Summit.

UND needs to begin thinking with a DI mentality and look for ways to grow all of our sports. This is definately one obvious one.

The last three North Dakota v. NDSU basketball games in Grand Forks were played at REA. Attendance was 7,237 in 2004; 8,891 in 2003; and 5,942 in 2002.

I too have changed my attitude on the Ralph after the USD game. It definitely has a big time feel to it. I agree you hardly notice the upper bowl when it is dark up there. It doesn't hold the sound quite as good as the Hyslop but the bells and whistles and everything else more than make up for it. Having the bleachers on the ends really helps keep a more closed in feel to it. The biggest problem is going to be scheduling around Hockey. I for one am all for the Ralph for the more meaning full games.

I too have changed my attitude on the Ralph after the USD game. It definitely has a big time feel to it. I agree you hardly notice the upper bowl when it is dark up there. It doesn't hold the sound quite as good as the Hyslop but the bells and whistles and everything else more than make up for it. Having the bleachers on the ends really helps keep a more closed in feel to it. The biggest problem is going to be scheduling around Hockey. I for one am all for the Ralph for the more meaning full games.

There's been some scuttlebutt about a UND/NDSU basketball series resuming next year. It would possibly be only a one game matchup/season, so a UND/NDSU game at REA might not be until the following year. I've always though UND should sponsor a UND/NDSU/USD/Montana (or Mont St) Christmas round-robin at the Ralph or the Al. Have UND/Montana and NDSU/USD the first night, followed by Montana/USD and then UND/NDSU. I think that would draw very well, especially when the hockey team is normally gone for an annual post-Christmas tournament.